religion is one of those "hot topics" that causes a lot of debate. What one person or group believes may be different from what another person or group believes.

If you would like to view it on a psychological level, using me for an example, I think I can explain it a bit better.

My belief in something greater than myself, God for instance, helps me cope better psychologically with life's issues. I get all upset and anxious, my blood pressure goes up, and I get sick, then I pray to that higher power to help me, and somehow by doing this, psychologically it helps me feel better, my blood pressure lowers, and I am no longer upset or anxious. Now perhaps this is more like a tool that I use to help me psychologically deal with my problems. Some would consider me insane for believing in a God, perhaps some would call me superstitious. Yet an observer cannot deny the benefits that believing in God gives me. My beliefs give my life meaning, and I have something to use to counter suicidal thoughts. I think "No if I kill myself, I'll end up in Hell. I'd better seek help fast before I totally lose control." because I also believe in a Heaven and Hell. I believe that my sins will be forgiven and that I will end up in Heaven, because of this I have no fear over death and I am not afraid of dying. I can honestly say that if I didn't have my faith, I would have most likely killed myself for real, because life to me would not have a meaning and with there not being a God, there would not be a Hell. So in this way and others, my religion benefits me. Even if I am 100% wrong and there is no God, you cannot deny the psychological effects my beliefs have on me. Believing in God also helps me cope with the loss of a loved one or friend, or a disaster, or some other bad event in my life.

I do not try to convert those who do not want to be converted, but I do feel that I have a freedom to express my beliefs just like anyone else has for their beliefs. I feel that putting down someone's beliefs and making fun of them for their beliefs is morally wrong. In a diverse world, we should respect other people's rights to believe what they want, even if we do not believe the same things that they do. For example, I sometimes visit Thai Buddhist Monks, I also went to Thailand and met some of the more powerful monks. I have had interesting conversations with them, and I learned how to meditate from them. I may not believe in their religion, but I refuse to put them down or make fun of their religion.

I hope this makes sense somehow, it is late and I am tired. I just wanted to get my two cents worth in.