IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Sontag tries to clear it all up
[link|http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=11742|She's not anti-American, just misunderstood].

Excerpt:

What has been constructed is this sort of grotesque trinity comprised of myself, Bill Maher and Noam Chomsky. In the Saturday New York Times, Frank Rich tried in his way to defend us by arguing for our complete lack of importance, by saying that any substitute weather forecaster on TV has more influence than any of us. Well, it's not true of course. Excuse me, but Noam Chomsky is quite a bit more than a distinguished linguist. Our critics are up in arms against us because we do have a degree of influence. But our own "defenders" are reduced to saying, "Well, leave the poor things alone, they're quite obscure anyway. "

I say:

Her defenders may have a point there.

`Nuther excerpt:

That people were in a state of great pain and bewilderment and fear I certainly understood. But I thought, "Uh-oh, here comes a sort of revival of Cold War rhetoric and something utterly sanctimonious that is going to make it very hard for us to figure out how best to deal with this." And I have to say that my fears have been borne out.

I say:

Is there a problem with that?

[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
Sometimes "tolerance" is just a word for not dealing with things.
New If you can't see that, then... I dunno what to say.
The Bogey-Wannabe writes:
[Quoting Susan Sontag:]
That people were in a state of great pain and bewilderment and fear I certainly understood. But I thought, "Uh-oh, here comes a sort of revival of Cold War rhetoric and something utterly sanctimonious that is going to make it very hard for us to figure out how best to deal with this." And I have to say that my fears have been borne out.
I say:

Is there a problem with that?
But anyway, FWIW: Yes, there is.

Let's see if you can figure out what it is before I can come up with a way to explain it to you, Mmmkay?

('Coz if you do, I won't have to! :-)
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
     Does the Left matter anymore? - (marlowe) - (26)
         You're only looking at this one issue. - (addison) - (1)
             And then the Left will find a new way to discredit itself. - (marlowe)
         Confusing patriotism with politics - (Silverlock) - (10)
             Freedom my ass. - (marlowe) - (9)
                 Am reminded of Mark Twain. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                     Sorry, no Godwin - (inthane-chan) - (4)
                         Wrong reasoning.... - (addison) - (3)
                             Depends on your definition. - (inthane-chan)
                             WAY OT: Addison - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                 Check the Water Cooler for response. -NT - (addison)
                 I wonder - (Silverlock) - (2)
                     I was gunna *say*... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         Just think of 'moderate' as now named: 'pinko commie librul' - (Ashton)
         Does the left as in Sharpton, or the left as in - (boxley) - (4)
             Thank you, Bill - (Ashton) - (3)
                 Heh. - (Ric Locke) - (2)
                     Seen it and the amount could not be cleaned with a pitchfork - (boxley)
                     Re: Heh. Heh\ufffd - (Ashton)
         Irrelevancy illustrated: the peace rallies - (marlowe) - (3)
             Nah: just the same ol same ol problem: idiot slogans - (Ashton)
             Slogans are for the ignorant masses. - (boxley) - (1)
                 Damn Box: that rates an A for Virtuosity! (kan't spel here) -NT - (Ashton)
         Sontag tries to clear it all up - (marlowe) - (1)
             If you can't see that, then... I dunno what to say. - (CRConrad)
         totally confused here Marlowe who is an avowed - (boxley) - (1)
             Laudable idea but.. - (Ashton)

Perfectly clear, if you swallow the right mushrooms and squint your eyes just right.
49 ms