IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Welcome to the new US
Welcome to the new US, where speech is (relativly) free of government interferance, but doesn't matter because you signed it away to a company for a 10% discount.

Jay
New Can't you sue
that it is Unconstitutional? Or does that not apply to contracts? If so, what about a contract that has a clause about making you a slave of the corporation under certain conditions?

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New I see that you don't choose to understand the Constitution
There is no right to free speech. Rather, there is a limit on government's ability to pass laws regulating speech. This has no bearing on your ability to sign a bad contract. Here is the text of the [link|http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data/constitution/amendment01/|first amendment].

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

But a contract making you a slave is unconstitutional. Here is the text of the [link|http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data/constitution/amendment13/|thirteenth amendment].

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

What exactly constitutes slavery or involuntary servitude is a good question. I saw a report once that some people were looking into challending music industry contracts based on the thirteenth amendment. I don't know what happened with that though.

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
Expand Edited by ben_tilly Dec. 14, 2003, 10:12:12 PM EST
New Well, any law used to enforce such a contract
would become unconstitutional. I wonder if such an argument could be advanced.
--

"There's nothing more nervous than a million dollars. It does not speak French, it does not speak English, it does not speak German and it moves very fast."

-- Jean Chretien
New That is what I thought
if you resist it, the law takes over. But the Constitution specifically says Congress and not the Supreme Court or other governmental body.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New The argument fails
The basis of contracts is common law. No statutory law need be passed for contracts to be enforcable in the courts. Here is an [link|http://www.law.cornell.edu/topics/contracts.html|overview].

Furthermore the interpretation of the Constitution is a complex business. A law saying that you can't speak at all is unconstitutional. A law saying that you can't yell "Fire!" in a crowded movie theater is a different story entirely. Where in the spectrum would a law fit that said that you can say anything that you want, but can agree to give up that right?

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New Beg to differ.
(I knew this real estate course I'm taking would come in handy...I just didn't know how soon)

Actually, there is statutory basis for real-estate contracts...at least here in Illinois. Tejas, being "a whole 'nother country" as I would paraphrase their PR ads from a couple of years back, has different laws than Illinois so YMMV. For example, they are a "title-theory" state, which means that the mortgage lender doesn't just hold a lien agains your property, s/he holds title until you pay it off. So if KB Home does the financing, they can conceiveably enforce the restriction by calling the loan against recalcitrant troublemakers like me.

However, if you sign a contract with the offending language deleted, that's legal. Will the "other side" sign it? Dunno...probably not. But then you have basis for bringing suit for all sorts of nuisance discrimination charges, since these days everybody is a minority, and the civil rights statutes regarding real estate sales are not to be trifled with, not even in Tejas.
jb4
"There are two ways for you to have lower Prescription-drug costs. One is you could hire Rush Limbaugh's housekeeper ... or you can elect me President."
John Kerry
New Beg away
The statutes are on top of and overriding general common law. Laws modify what may be done with specific kinds of contracts. For example many terms that landlords like to put into tenant agreements are simply not enforcable due to local city or state laws. For instance in NYC the landlord does not have the right to enter the premises at any time, no matter what you signed. Or they can modify what you have to do to have a contract. Normally a verbal agreement is an enforcible contract if you can prove that it exists, but in real estate it is not because there are laws saying that it has to be on paper.

But if I invented something, say flubules, and you wanted to sign a contract with me giving you access to a particular flubule that I made in return for money, that contract would be legally binding on both of us even if there are no statutory laws governing flubules. In fact if there are no laws, then it doesn't have to be in writing. (But there must be adequate consideration. If I tell you to use it any time, and then change my mind, I've not broken a contract. But if you paid me money and I change my mind, I have broken a contract.)

So while statutory laws can and do modify what contracts are enforcable, contracts are enforcable even if no statutory law exists.

See the same [link|http://www.law.cornell.edu/topics/contracts.html|overview] that I pointed out earlier.

Cheers,
Ben
New Much longer shot .
when police actually comes to take down the sign, will the law about policing power become unconstitutional? I guess I am grasping at the straws here.
--

"There's nothing more nervous than a million dollars. It does not speak French, it does not speak English, it does not speak German and it moves very fast."

-- Jean Chretien
New I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't work that way
How is this fundamentally different than a contract requiring employees to respect their employer's trade secrets?

Unless there is a law that renders the specific item null and void (IANAL, ask a lawyer, there may be), I think that you are on the hook. It should be the same as the various license agreements for databases that don't let you report your benchmarks.

Cheers,
Ben
     home ownership versus The First Amendment - (lincoln) - (49)
         Welcome to the new US - (JayMehaffey) - (9)
             Can't you sue - (orion) - (8)
                 I see that you don't choose to understand the Constitution - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                     Well, any law used to enforce such a contract - (Arkadiy) - (6)
                         That is what I thought - (orion)
                         The argument fails - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                             Beg to differ. - (jb4) - (1)
                                 Beg away - (ben_tilly)
                             Much longer shot . - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                 I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't work that way - (ben_tilly)
         You cannot sign away your rights in a contract. - (imric) - (7)
             Yes you can - (broomberg) - (5)
                 Re: Yes you can - (deSitter)
                 Sadly - (orion)
                 A judge told me this. - (imric) - (2)
                     so you got off? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                         A close friend's Dad... - (imric)
             Sure you can. - (admin)
         Not a problem. - (Andrew Grygus) - (24)
             how many new homes are not in a planned community? -NT - (SpiceWare) - (23)
                 If one of those sterile controlled environments . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (22)
                     If by "living environment above their means" you mean... - (inthane-chan)
                     I see IWETHEY continues to maintain - (cwbrenn) - (19)
                         Much better sweeping catchall statements to worry about - (drewk) - (8)
                             Been lurking for a few weeks.. - (cwbrenn) - (7)
                                 Hi! -NT - (bepatient)
                                 At least lurk... - (folkert)
                                 good to see you! -NT - (Steve Lowe)
                                 Hope all is well in Upstate NY with 2 "good" snows and all. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                                 Hey! Nice to hear from you, Chris! -NT - (jb4)
                                 Has ND support been offshored? - (deSitter) - (1)
                                     it's bloody cold - (cwbrenn)
                         You mean then____Ho Ho Ho! - (Ashton)
                         Read again. - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                             But Andrew, - (cwbrenn) - (6)
                                 So then . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                                     Who? - (cwbrenn) - (4)
                                         Whooo... indeed. ( was Re: Who?) (new thread) - (Nightowl)
                                         Totally opposite here - (drewk)
                                         personal punch - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                             Ah.. the eternal quadrangle - - (Ashton)
                         glad to see you - (boxley)
                     "around here" - (SpiceWare)
         My response to attempt to enforce would be - (tuberculosis)
         Just line it out. - (jb4) - (2)
             KB Homes is a national company - (lincoln) - (1)
                 If they want to play that way, the ntwo can play - (jb4)
         HOA's as the Anti Life League - (dlevitt) - (1)
             Homeowners Association - (Andrew Grygus)

Ships were made for sinking, whiskey made for drinking. If we were made of cellophane we'd all get stinking drunk quite faster! Ah, ha, ha!
80 ms