IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I see IWETHEY continues to maintain
it's high standard of making sweeping catchall statements without bothering to wonder exactly what you're trying to force into the shape of whatever your pre-concieved cookie-cutter notion of "the way it all is" happens to be.

When my wife and I moved to Raleigh we moved into a newly built house in a "planned community." Why? Because it happened to be what we could afford. The housing was cheap because it was in a location that wasn't considered "attractive" at the time, but the developers were banking on it being prime real estate as soon as the new bypass was built. We didn't care -- we needed a place to live.

It came with one of those idiotic home gestapo things... but in truth, anything even remotely new has one of those fuckers these days. If you want to buy a home and there aren't any old houses to buy, you're stuck with it.

Of course, that automatically means, according to Andrew, that my wife and I were living beyond our means and are incapable of living in close quarters. A comment which surprises me, since memories of Andrew were always that he was one of the more reasonable posters here. But now that I know I'm just another one of those shallow post-gen-x thirtysomethings I can now endeavor to prove him right.

I'm really fucking glad there are so many rugged individualists in the world... if only I could be exactly like each and every one of you I'm sure all my problems would be solved. At least, that's what you all keep telling me...
"We are all born originals -- why is it so many of us die copies?"
- Edward Young
New Much better sweeping catchall statements to worry about
Andrew was pretty clear that he was talking about the situation where he lives: "There's plenty of older houses of all sizes close in ... Around here, accessable "planned communities" are high in the hillsides ... Affordable tracts are way, way out of town ... " Actually that describes Cleveland pretty well, too, if you substitute "on the lakefront" for "high in the hillsides."

That's not true in NC where you're living? Okay, maybe in your situation there's no choice in affordable housing without signing an agreement.[1] But you seem to be coming down awfully hard on Andrew for assuming his local conditions were representative.

But all that is details. What I don't understand is why you chose this topic to come back on, and escalate the heat so quickly.

[1] Although on realtor.com I see 1,450 homes in Raliegh with two or more bedrooms for under $125,000. Doesn't quite sound like there isn't anything to be had.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New Been lurking for a few weeks..
Chose this specific comment because I was stunned that it was Andrew, of all people, who was being so, ah, *sweeping* in his indictment.
- Edward Young
New Hi!

If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

It goes in, it must come out.Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]

New At least lurk...
I am glad to see you post...

Unhappy it still upsets you.

Any who... hope you stick around...

I don't post much really anymore, now that I have a real job.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey

This is a lerpadism.
New good to see you!
-----
Steve
New Hope all is well in Upstate NY with 2 "good" snows and all.
Alex

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true. -- Demosthenes, Greek orator (384-322 BCE)
New Hey! Nice to hear from you, Chris!
jb4
"There are two ways for you to have lower Prescription-drug costs. One is you could hire Rush Limbaugh's housekeeper ... or you can elect me President."
John Kerry
New Has ND support been offshored?
How's life in the beautiful country?
-drl
New it's bloody cold
and I'm already tired of shovelling.

Other than that, it's good.
- Edward Young
New You mean then____Ho Ho Ho!
that all generalizations are false, including this one?

Factoids do appear, however; "young folks buying first domiciles" - increasingly have been starting at the top: 4000 sq. ft, all new- furniture, appliances, cars, plasma TVs, Dual-Xeons -- all on credit.

Whatever Gen-X Y or Theta: is it then lugubrious to remark on a consistent pattern of.. perpetual debt, much of it at CC prices?

(As to your own choice - so? It was your practical solution to matters you could not control. I submit that the above trend was more like Andrew's 'point' and your example is not comparable).

Generalizations for Individuals LLC

:-\ufffd

Happy Chanukkah in your not-decrepit new house!
New Read again.
I specifically say "Around here". Around here is not Raleigh, and I know nothing about the housing market in Raleigh and say nothing about it.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New But Andrew,
the whole segment of the conversation went like this:

Andrew: I have no sympathy for people who sign these agreements.

Inthane-clan: How many new homes *don't* have these agreements?

and *then* you give your example, and then repeat your first statement.

Your area-specific observation seemes tied to a much larger context based on that exchange.

- Edward Young
New So then . .
. . why don't you just tell me I'm wrong and why? This is the Internet where taking things personal and getting offended is a losing strategy (see NightOwl). If you think the conditions where I live are not applicable to where you live, then just say so.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Who?
Heh. Unintentional pun.

I barely remember NightOwl... wasn't that the poor woman rcagera was using as his personal verbal punching bag?

Any new housing I have encountered, regardless of the price range, comes with a homeowner's association/covenant that you must sign before you can live in the neighborhood. The only way to not deal with those is to be lucky enough to afford an older house in a neighborhood that hasn't gone that route.

In Troy, where I live now, old houses are pretty cheap (at least initially). In Raleigh, the old houses tend to be more expensive because they have more land. New houses tend to run the gamut, because builders are required to build affordable housing in a development *before* they get on to the more expensive stuff.

Trish and I bought the second to last house in the "first wave" of a five-stage housing development. The house cost $120,000... to a guy who had lived in Northern Virginia and Richmond, that was amazingly cheap. (120K in Northern Virginia will get you one bedroom, one bathroom, a kitchen and a living room).

The older houses (the ones we knew about anyway) were more expensive. OR, they were in such disrepair that there was no hope of us being able to fix them without sinking a lot of money into it. Since the new houses were affordable and came with a *warranty* (up to ten years on some parts of it) they were the best choice.

But... they all come with that damn rider.

- Edward Young
New Whooo... indeed. ( was Re: Who?) (new thread)
Created as new thread #130970 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=130970|Whooo... indeed. ( was Re: Who?)]
"The difference between being immature and child-like is that one is what you are, and one is what you choose to be."

Comment by Nightowl {O,O}
New Totally opposite here
My sister-in-law and her husband are ... not the handy type. They didn't want to have to deal with exterior maintenance. So when they were looking for a new place they looked at condos. Paid $140k for a new 2br condo. Small bedrooms; one of them isn't even large enough for a queen-sized bed. Didn't bother talking to any family before they had already bought it.

So now they have a $140k mortgage, plus HOA fees. And they discovered when they take their dog for a walk that the neighborhood right next door is 3-4 br colonials on 1/8-acre lots for $130-$160k. So they could have the same mortgage, and for what they're paying for HOA fees they could have a handyman on call to cut grass and plow snow.

And they are locked in for 10 years. The neighborhood they're in was trying to increase the home ownership/rental ratio, so gave a 10 year break on property taxes for home puchases. If they try to move out early, they have to pay the back taxes first. Seven years into it, they still owe more than the current market rate, not even counting the back taxes.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New personal punch
cwbrenn, returning after a lengthy self-exile—welcome back, and let's hope that karsten will someday find his way home as well—wonders, anent the featherheaded one
wasn't that the poor woman rcagera was using as his personal verbal punching bag?
Assuming that was actually my dyslexia-inducing online handle being scrambled above, I vigorously refute the assertion. I never employed Nightowl as a personal punching bag: I was always unselfishly willing to share the abuse with others, and in these latter months, I am pleased to report, the duties of dope-slapping have been taken up by hands far more capable than my own. Also, the punching bag metaphor is itself inapposite, suggesting as it does a certain solidity and weight, whereas the owlet's contributions are masterpieces of insubstantiality, with a volume-to-content ratio not generally seen this side of the more advanced aerogels—hardly the stuff of a proper sparring workout.

Again, welcome back, and I hope you find the climate more congenial this time out—although the artist until recently known as screamer complains that the joint is becoming too tame...

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New Ah.. the eternal quadrangle -
Tame, Lame, Flame or Fame

Then there's Mark Morford's little essay at SFgate on the 'removal' of the deep-end, in most contemporary safe-safe-safe "swimming pools" -

What is left, really, to teach us of the wonders and perils of solo survivalism and accomplishment and desperate breaststroke struggle? What is left to impart hints of terror and bliss and little exhilarating winks of potential death?

What, in short, will supplant the deep end? The media? "Survivor?" War? The NRA? Dick Cheney's pallid hateful sneer? Not quite.

No, the demise of the deep end may not be the end of the world as you know it. But it's sure as hell the end of one of our more fascinating, and vital, deeper perspectives.
New glad to see you
Without all the jumping to conclusion, snatching at straws and sweeping generalizations we wouldnt get any exercise at all.
thanx,
bill
stick a spork in it.

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
     home ownership versus The First Amendment - (lincoln) - (49)
         Welcome to the new US - (JayMehaffey) - (9)
             Can't you sue - (orion) - (8)
                 I see that you don't choose to understand the Constitution - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                     Well, any law used to enforce such a contract - (Arkadiy) - (6)
                         That is what I thought - (orion)
                         The argument fails - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                             Beg to differ. - (jb4) - (1)
                                 Beg away - (ben_tilly)
                             Much longer shot . - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                 I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't work that way - (ben_tilly)
         You cannot sign away your rights in a contract. - (imric) - (7)
             Yes you can - (broomberg) - (5)
                 Re: Yes you can - (deSitter)
                 Sadly - (orion)
                 A judge told me this. - (imric) - (2)
                     so you got off? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                         A close friend's Dad... - (imric)
             Sure you can. - (admin)
         Not a problem. - (Andrew Grygus) - (24)
             how many new homes are not in a planned community? -NT - (SpiceWare) - (23)
                 If one of those sterile controlled environments . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (22)
                     If by "living environment above their means" you mean... - (inthane-chan)
                     I see IWETHEY continues to maintain - (cwbrenn) - (19)
                         Much better sweeping catchall statements to worry about - (drewk) - (8)
                             Been lurking for a few weeks.. - (cwbrenn) - (7)
                                 Hi! -NT - (bepatient)
                                 At least lurk... - (folkert)
                                 good to see you! -NT - (Steve Lowe)
                                 Hope all is well in Upstate NY with 2 "good" snows and all. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                                 Hey! Nice to hear from you, Chris! -NT - (jb4)
                                 Has ND support been offshored? - (deSitter) - (1)
                                     it's bloody cold - (cwbrenn)
                         You mean then____Ho Ho Ho! - (Ashton)
                         Read again. - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                             But Andrew, - (cwbrenn) - (6)
                                 So then . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                                     Who? - (cwbrenn) - (4)
                                         Whooo... indeed. ( was Re: Who?) (new thread) - (Nightowl)
                                         Totally opposite here - (drewk)
                                         personal punch - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                             Ah.. the eternal quadrangle - - (Ashton)
                         glad to see you - (boxley)
                     "around here" - (SpiceWare)
         My response to attempt to enforce would be - (tuberculosis)
         Just line it out. - (jb4) - (2)
             KB Homes is a national company - (lincoln) - (1)
                 If they want to play that way, the ntwo can play - (jb4)
         HOA's as the Anti Life League - (dlevitt) - (1)
             Homeowners Association - (Andrew Grygus)

Anality R'US.
166 ms