IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Might as well be here.
We've got the possums, skunks, raccoons, groundhogs (didn't see you mention those), and cats (boy, do we have cats) up here, under our deck at times as well. The nice thing about the cats is that they keep the rabbits away from the gardens. The bad thing about the cats is that they breed (Greg can confirm the high numbers of previously bred cats we have here - 14 now, was 24 at one point).

There's a 40 sq. mile metropark half a mile north of here. Every year they have a lottery to see who gets to blow away a bunch of deer in the park because they're completely overbred. There's a test plot in the park on the nature center grounds, surrounded by 10ft high fencing. Inside the fence there's a riot of undergrowth. Outside the fence the ground is pretty much scoured clean by the deer.

A possum got in our garage once. This one was reasonably smart for a possum: 2.5 on the "dumb as a soapdish" scale (that means, dumb as 2.5 soapdishes). I "chased" it around the garage with a pitchfork. Poking it made it stop and snarl, not speed up like any self-respecting pain-feeling animal would do. Someone pissed in the genetics vat the day those things were invented.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New <sides are splitting>
Come ar, ye scruvy beast! I'll run ya thrugh, ye foul critter! Wench, fetch me blunderbuss! Ahrrr!
-drl
New That's about the extent of it.
I don't have a gun in the house, though, and I really wasn't interested in sticking the thing hard enough to require cleaning up the garage floor afterwards.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New There was a 'possum carcass in our backyard once.
Well, not really a carcass. Just some bones that were near the outlet of some plastic drainage hose extensions attached to our downspouts. The hose is about 6" in diameter. I puzzled for a while on why there were bones there.

Sometime in the fall, I think it was, the 'possum had apparently tried to crawl into the downspout hose, got stuck, and died. After a good rain, most of the bones were washed out, but the skull and jaw were still inside. I wondered why our dog seemed to be so interested in running out to that spot whenever she was in the backyard.... <eewwww>

Indeed, opossums are not terribly bright. I'm glad that's been the extent of my dealing with them so far.

Cheers,
Scott.
New They've been doing SOMETHING right..
..for 80 million years:

[link|http://www.trussel.com/prehist/news92.htm|http://www.trussel.c...rehist/news92.htm]
-drl
New Indeed. Maybe not enough predators or something...
New Andrew had the right of it:
they're just too ugly and disgusting for any self respecting predator to want to get close enough to to kill one - and who'd want to eat it?
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Re: Andrew had the right of it:
Who'd want to eat it? That there is Ozark lobster.

[link|http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Estates/3443/possum_recipes.html|http://www.geocities...ssum_recipes.html]

-drl
     How close do you like YOUR nature? - (lincoln) - (29)
         We're used to in around here. - (Andrew Grygus)
         This is nothing new - (Yendor)
         Big deal. - (admin) - (10)
             Re: Big deal. - (deSitter) - (6)
                 It's a city... :-P - (admin) - (5)
                     With a capital T that rhymes with P... - (bepatient) - (2)
                         Re: where that came from? - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                             Well...that part I knew... - (bepatient)
                     Mt. Sunflower KS - (deSitter) - (1)
                         Aye, but to go up Pikes I always take the cog railway - (tuberculosis)
             It is a "Big Deal" - (lincoln) - (1)
                 Was she trying to commit "lupicide"? - (deSitter)
             Re: Big deal. - yeah pretty much - (bepatient)
         Funny story - (drewk) - (15)
             Possums - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                 OT is that a 1911 colt 45 ACP on the left side of the pic? -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                     WIDs (Weapons of Individual Destruction) . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         Ihr Kueche erscheint als U-boot - even the slacker uniform -NT - (deSitter)
                         Had an 'artillery' long barrel model. - (Ashton)
             Re: Funny story - (deSitter) - (1)
                 Old timey pics - (drewk)
             Might as well be here. - (admin) - (7)
                 <sides are splitting> - (deSitter) - (1)
                     That's about the extent of it. - (admin)
                 There was a 'possum carcass in our backyard once. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                     They've been doing SOMETHING right.. - (deSitter) - (3)
                         Indeed. Maybe not enough predators or something... -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                             Andrew had the right of it: - (admin) - (1)
                                 Re: Andrew had the right of it: - (deSitter)

Well, the place was crowded. We were packed in like sardines. They were all there to listen to the Big Band sounds of Tommy Dorsal. What sole! Tommy was rocking the place with a very popular tuna: "Sal-mon Chanted Evening," and the stage was surrounded by screaming groupers; probably there to see the bass player.
442 ms