IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New New O'Reilly book? Lemming on the cover?..............Sorry
New How does the destruction of Buddhist shrines by the Taliban
... fit into these murders?

Any ideas?
New It's complicated.
I'm no expert on this stuff...

Without reading a biography of the head Mullah, it's hard to know why he ordered the Buddahs destroyed. [link|http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:PdL8MPhRMd0:www.supportersofshariah.org/eng/asap/smashing.html+Afghanistan+buddah&hl=en|Here's] a story attempting to justify it (from Google's cache).

I don't think the Taliban is too interested in America's wrath, while bin Laden clearly is. I think they're most interested in controlling Afghanistan with an iron fist. They enjoy bin Laden's support, and protect him in turn. So I don't personally think that the Taliban was directly involved with the attacks on 9/11.

They certainly appear to have protected bin Laden for years, so in that respect they are responsible for bin Laden's actions.

Best of luck trying to figure this stuff out....

Cheers,
Scott.
New I thought that was simple...
the taliban don't believe in idolatry...no idols of any kind. The buddist statues would represent idols and therefore must be destroyed.

Unless there's more that I don't know about.

New Let's take this a bit farther.
The Taliban get rid of Idols first, preparing to create a true Islamic state, then they get rid of everything and everyone else that doesn't fit their view of how things should be. Oops, they are already killing their own before they took out the idols. When will it end?
New Not sure what you mean...
Afganistan has been in a civil war for quite some time. So of course they're killing one another.

The reaction to the idols are part of their (taliban) stated beliefs, so their reaction is not surprising. I believe it's because of a hatred of Buddism. The taliban don't seem to care if it's Hindu or even Christian symbols, they will tear them down.

New The Afghan tribes didn't destroy the idols until the Taliban
... got into power and bin Laden likely convinced them to destroy all things non-Islamic. They apparently kill people now with beards that are too short. They have stopped women from working or showing their face. They have murdered people that show any sign of support for Western views. Now they have apparently decided to start murdering Americans as well as their own, both in Muslem countries and now in the U.S.

What I am suggesting is that the signs suggest that Osama bin Laden is starting his evil-minded Jihad and is using poor/hopeless people as his puppets. He already brain-washes all who enter his terrorists camps (or kills those that don't fall in line).

P.S. Did you watch CNN last night: "Behind the Veil"?
I managed to watch most of the scenes but it wasn't easy watching cold-blooded murder. CNN will replay this 1 hour presentation at 7 PM ET tonight.
New Real tolerant of other religions?
Destroying the shrines/temples/idols of other religions will not make that group very popular with the religions that had those shrines/temples/idols.

Picking up the pieces of my broken life.
New Do you mean like..
The Spanish Conqistadores VS the Aztecs, Olmecs et al?

Or the Catholic Church Corp. building their edifices with premeditation: on the mounds of destroyed temples in Mexico and south?

Or the fate of N. American natives, their burial grounds desecrated and Totems destroyed (along with most of their tribes)? And until quite recently - the survivors under BLM - forbidden to speak their native languages, at least in or around BLM 'school'.

ie what's good for the goose / gander.

Why are you perpetually *Shocked* when others go where.. we have gone before? Bad history teacher? Missed that semester? It is what homo-saps Do. Periodically. The Winners natch.

Ashton
     The reason for the terrorist attacks (in a nutshell) - (brettj) - (37)
         Perhaps he simply likes explosions and death - (tablizer) - (3)
             Too Much American Movie? - (gdaustin) - (2)
                 "Gironimo"? - (tablizer) - (1)
                     Some say he left at least 4 days ago... - (Another Scott)
         New O'Reilly book? Lemming on the cover?..............Sorry -NT - (Another Scott) - (8)
             How does the destruction of Buddhist shrines by the Taliban - (brettj) - (7)
                 It's complicated. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                     I thought that was simple... - (Simon_Jester) - (5)
                         Let's take this a bit farther. - (brettj) - (2)
                             Not sure what you mean... - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                                 The Afghan tribes didn't destroy the idols until the Taliban - (brettj)
                         Real tolerant of other religions? - (orion) - (1)
                             Do you mean like.. - (Ashton)
         Reasons for terrorism - (Ric Locke) - (6)
             But, wait! There is Sadam, the Saladin, 1990 model. - (a6l6e6x)
             Re: Reasons for terrorism - (gtall)
             Thanks. This answer's part of my question below. - (brettj)
             Re: Reasons for terrorism - a pretty good QAD summary - (dmarker2)
             Re: Reasons for terrorism - a pretty good QAD summary - (dmarker2)
             Re: Reasons for terrorism - (bluke)
         The pieces to the puzzle are falling into place. - (brettj) - (16)
             How do the Jewish people fit into the picture? - (brettj) - (15)
                 Osama bin Laden quotes. - (a6l6e6x) - (14)
                     Thanks. Here is a LA Times link. - (brettj) - (3)
                         Re: And therein lies the biggest dilemma - (dmarker2) - (2)
                             This is starting to look like a Hitler repeat? - (brettj) - (1)
                                 Uh, that's not how it was, is it? - (CRConrad)
                     Re: Osama bin Laden quotes - the US shame ??? - (dmarker2) - (9)
                         Problem not confined to Islam: organized religion. - (Ashton) - (7)
                             Ashton, don't be afraid to include the Zionists... - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                                 But not someone's else wives and children - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                     Re: But not someone's else wives and children - (a6l6e6x)
                             So, your position is that... - (ChrisR) - (3)
                                 Only if it becomes profitable in the US environment - (mhuber) - (2)
                                     Speech != action... - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                         The comparison is about 'mindset' only, not probability - (Ashton)
                         Other Osama ignoring - (wharris2)

Man, it's a hot one. Like seven inches from the mid-day sun.
69 ms