IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Or small ISPs using DSL.
Over here, if this goes through, it's QWorst versus AT&T-soon-to-be-Comcast.

QWorst resells MSN via it's DSL service. Order DSL from QWorst, and you get MSN, whether or not you want it.

Oh, did I mention that Microsoft has internal forums dedicated to bitching just how bad MSN is (I kid you not) and not only that, but the worst of the bitching comes from the DSL department?

On the other hand, you have AT&T Broadband, which has NO desire to actually provide any kind of "advanced user" broadband. If they detect a server of ANY sort on your cable modem, automatic shutdown.

This includes game servers. If I want to host a Neverwinter Nights module, they can kick my ass off the network. They've done this to a few Half-Life servers already.

Excuse me for not being excited.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
New We have three years.
I fired a nastygram off to the fcc directors already.

Maybe we stand a chance after we kick the head elected bastards out next election - then maybe competition and the economy might stand a chance.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New Typo alert!
Maybe we stand a chance after we kick the head elected bastards out next election - then maybe competition and the economy might stand a chance.

Uhhh, that would be "head selected bastards", imric.

Other than that, agree completely!
jb4
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
Rich Cook
Expand Edited by jb4 Feb. 25, 2003, 01:23:08 PM EST
Expand Edited by jb4 Feb. 25, 2003, 01:23:41 PM EST
New Well.... That depends.
I was talking about the bastards that do the selecting... Those are (supposed to be) elected, no?

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New So was I
Yes they are supposed to be elected.

And maybe before I die they will be again....

But Powell is selected regardless of whether the selectors are themselves selectedor elected.

Clear? ;-)
jb4
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
Rich Cook
New *chuckle* K.

Imric's Tips for Living
New Sucks to be you guys
For all those that bitch about regulation of industry... BellNexxia (dsl wire provider in Ontario and Quebec, wholly owned by BCE) got spanked again recently for being bad to people other than Sympatico HSE (DSL ISP wholly owned by, you guessed it, BCE). I also understand another smackdown is in the works, thanks in small part to lobbying efforts carried out on my and my ISP's behalf during my recent problems which took my systems offline for forty days. I understand from my contacts at velocet that bellnexxia has gotten really nice all of a sudden...
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New Methinks you misunderstand, Jake
I don't believe we (the collective mind of the LRPD...and me specifically) are bitching about regulation, we (specifically, me) are bitching about the license to steal and monopolize a supposedly regulated industry that is passing for regulation.
jb4
Rich Cook
New No, I understood perfectly

Up here, we seem to be actually getting regulation, of the DSL market at least. Cable's another issue entirely... but with the steady downward trend of the QoS at most of the local cable monopolies offset only by the climbing prices for the aforementioned service, I don't think it's going to last. The reason it "sucks to be you" is because you guys are in a place where the regulatory atmosphere is such that you get to deal with companies with a "license to steal and monopolize a supposedly regulated industry". Like I said... BellNexxia's on the road to getting quarterly spankings by the CRTC... and spankings by the CRTC (if they start to get pissed off at repeated bad behaviour) can hurt to the tune of millions, and on a couple of notable occasions within my memory, of literally a billion: Bell Canada, the wholly owned subsidiary of BCE that has the local phone and had the long distance monopoly in Ontario and Quebec once had to issue a refund to the tune of 114$ for the typical residential customer; I shudder to think what they had to give to the business customers, who tend to pay three to four times as much as residential customers do for services.

\r\n\r\n

So... if you're in telecom, and you start getting the signal that the CRTC commissioners are starting to get impatient with repeated malingering followed by prevarication, it usually pays to take note.

--\r\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\r\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\r\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\r\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\r\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New Thank you,
Thot I saw The Sign, but it turns out you were serious.

Sheesh! What a change that is.

And yer right...it does suck to be us....
jb4
Rich Cook
     FCC removes sharing provision for copper - (admin) - (28)
         Joy. - (inthane-chan) - (23)
             Well there is cable vs. DSL. - (a6l6e6x) - (10)
                 Or small ISPs using DSL. - (inthane-chan) - (9)
                     We have three years. - (imric) - (4)
                         Typo alert! - (jb4) - (3)
                             Well.... That depends. - (imric) - (2)
                                 So was I - (jb4) - (1)
                                     *chuckle* K. -NT - (imric)
                     Sucks to be you guys - (jake123) - (3)
                         Methinks you misunderstand, Jake - (jb4) - (2)
                             No, I understood perfectly - (jake123) - (1)
                                 Thank you, - (jb4)
             Its a good time to start a wireless ISP - (tuberculosis) - (11)
                 Re: Its a good time to start a wireless ISP - (Fuat)
                 Great Idea - (deSitter)
                 Here is a link on how not to do it. - (boxley) - (2)
                     Fixed Wireless - (deSitter) - (1)
                         If only I had 50-100K! - (imric)
                 Alternative - (drewk) - (5)
                     ISTR that pulpit guy yakking about that - (jake123) - (1)
                         Probably where I got the idea -NT - (drewk)
                     Only as I recall it, Cringley said... - (CRConrad) - (2)
                         Well ... - (drewk) - (1)
                             Aah, kewl! -NT - (CRConrad)
         OK, Michael Powell is officially on my asshole list - (Arkadiy) - (3)
             judged too soon? - (SpiceWare) - (2)
                 Would be a relief. -NT - (Arkadiy)
                 I think you misunderstood - (jb4)

Then when the mother turned back around I stuck my tongue out at the kid again.
61 ms