IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Let me restate
My reference to mass transit being torpedoed by GM et al, was a illustration of a larger point. I am not trying to blame GM/Shell/Goodyear for the failures of mass transit. That is not the point I am pursuing. The consumer demand for oil has been manipulated by those who profit from that demand. The blame is shared. The dealer/user metaphor is not accurate. The consumer is not standing alone in this.
Why should we ask our military to die for cheap oil when the rest of us aren't even being asked to get better mileage?
-[link|http://www.workingforchange.com/article.cfm?itemid=14107|Molly Ivins]
New And we (the people) are the ones that allowed it.
It was all legal. Granted it may have been "sneaky" or "underhanded"...but it was all legal.

And again...making >them< pay does absolutely nothing except extend the amount of time that it takes for us to pay.

Taxing corporations for something that they will immediately pass through on price is an irrelevance.

Fool me once, shame on you...fool me for >years<....shame on me.
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Yeah. Right.
It was all legal.
And you say you aren't naive.
Why should we ask our military to die for cheap oil when the rest of us aren't even being asked to get better mileage?
-[link|http://www.workingforchange.com/article.cfm?itemid=14107|Molly Ivins]
New Well...let me clarify...
...because risk/reward is involved.

They may have cracked a minor law or 2 in the process..but..even in 1930 standards...being levied a fine of $5000 makes the law irrelevent. Cheaper to pay the fine than to fix the problem.

None of this discussion really even makes sense in the context of my point. None of that should have been possible. The simple fact that is >was< possible verifies the failure that I've pointed out.

And..complicit or not...fining oil companies is no different than taxing us directly. >We< pay.

New No, a specific *subset* of "we" pay
And..complicit or not...fining oil companies is no different than taxing us directly. >We< pay.

But "we" would pay in proportion to how much we use it. If you want (or need) to drive something that gets 12 mpg, and I can get by on something that gets 36 mpg, doesn't it seem fair that you should pay a three-times-larger share of the costs? Three times as much for the roads, three times as much for the health costs, three times as much for every cost involved in over-the-road transportation.

I would think you would be in favor of costs being borne, to the extent possible, by those responsible for them.
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
New Whcih is why..
...I say just tax the gas.

New I ... thought that was the original idea
But don't feel like re-reading the whole thread.
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
New Neither do I ;-)

All over in a week? - (marlowe) - (91)
         This kind of excrement is why so much of the world hates us. - (mmoffitt) - (87)
             Man you guys are good. - (bepatient)
             Holy crap, you know how to pick your sources - (marlowe) - (4)
                 Ummm.... - (folkert)
                 Re: Classic Marlowe crap - (dmarker) - (1)
                     But the link responded to ... - (bepatient)
                 Better that than knowing how to pick your noses... - (admin)
             Where's the encouragement? - (ChrisR)
             The U.S. is also one of the world's largest oil producers. - (Mike) - (77)
                 evidence is WTF I ended up in florida - (boxley)
                 Diplomatic political-speak - an art unto itself. - (Simon_Jester) - (75)
                     Yabbut - (Mike) - (74)
                         I keep forgetting not to read for content. - (mmoffitt) - (72)
                             Its in the eye of the beholder - (Mike)
                             Some content for you. - (Mike) - (70)
                                 Interesting. - (mmoffitt) - (69)
                                     Stretch it any further and it'll break. - (bepatient)
                                     Once more unto the ridiculous - (Mike)
                                     To the Two Above - (mmoffitt) - (66)
                                         To the one above... - (bepatient) - (65)
                                             Why would he lie to a US Reporter? - (mmoffitt) - (64)
                                                 What? - (bepatient) - (63)
                                                     No. I just don't drink your brand of Kool-Aid. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (62)
                                                         Then maybe you can explain the above post? - (bepatient) - (61)
                                                             No one is two words. - (mmoffitt) - (60)
                                                                 My point is clear. - (bepatient) - (43)
                                                                     Just ask yourself, what rings true? - (mmoffitt) - (42)
                                                                         If thats is all the case... - (bepatient) - (3)
                                                                             Exactly! Well said. -NT - (Mike)
                                                                             Re: makes a great conspiricy theory - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                                 Maybe if I were one or had... - (bepatient)
                                                                         Ask yourself...... - (Mike) - (37)
                                                                             C'mon now... - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                                 Ahhhhhhhhhhh.........clarity at last -NT - (Mike)
                                                                             Unless we weren't after the oil.... - (Simon_Jester) - (34)
                                                                                 So.....the gulf war - (Mike) - (1)
                                                                                     Chuckle...sure - (Simon_Jester)
                                                                                 Hmmm... - (bepatient) - (31)
                                                                                     Okay, Beep. You tell me. Why do we need to attack Iraq? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (25)
                                                                                         Well I've been told... - (bepatient) - (24)
                                                                                             I like your solution to the energy (oil) problem. - (a6l6e6x) - (21)
                                                                                                 Mea Culpa syndrome... - (bepatient) - (20)
                                                                                                     The free ride comes from the larger sales they enjoy. - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                                                                                                         Thats it all over - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                                             Wow, Beep - in non-Market mode, eh? - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                                                                 Damn...that was close ;-) - (bepatient)
                                                                                                     2 problems - (Silverlock) - (15)
                                                                                                         Re: 2 problems - (bepatient) - (10)
                                                                                                             Okay - (Silverlock) - (9)
                                                                                                                 There is no naivite involved. - (bepatient) - (8)
                                                                                                                     Let me restate - (Silverlock) - (7)
                                                                                                                         And we (the people) are the ones that allowed it. - (bepatient) - (6)
                                                                                                                             Yeah. Right. - (Silverlock) - (5)
                                                                                                                                 Well...let me clarify... - (bepatient) - (4)
                                                                                                                                     No, a specific *subset* of "we" pay - (drewk) - (3)
                                                                                                                                         Whcih is why.. - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                                                                             I ... thought that was the original idea - (drewk) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                 Neither do I ;-) -NT - (bepatient)
                                                                                                         we have way too much mass for effective transit -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                                                                                                             Wrong. - (Brandioch) - (2)
                                                                                                                 certainly we could all huddle in a mass at government - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                                                     Re: Checkpoints. - (mmoffitt)
                                                                                             I'm sorry, I got distracted there for a second... - (jb4) - (1)
                                                                                                 Methinks you're still distracted. - (bepatient)
                                                                                     Which war? - (Simon_Jester)
                                                                                     No silly. - (Mike) - (3)
                                                                                         *cough*...mine.... - (bepatient)
                                                                                         How faked moon landings led to cheesy goldfish ;-) - (bbronson) - (1)
                                                                                             :-) -NT - (Mike)
                                                                 Don't waste your time. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                                                     Mea Culpa. - (mmoffitt)
                                                                 Alas, even my link doesn't show - (Simon_Jester) - (13)
                                                                     That is a matter of perspective. - (mmoffitt) - (12)
                                                                         Ditto. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                                                             Not even close. - (bepatient)
                                                                         I think..... - (Mike) - (9)
                                                                             There were lots of signals.... - (Simon_Jester) - (8)
                                                                                 Oh my...... - (Mike) - (5)
                                                                                     I did state - as far as we can tell.... - (Simon_Jester) - (4)
                                                                                         Yes - (Mike) - (3)
                                                                                             Which goes back to my original question.... - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
                                                                                                 I gerfot...... - (Mike)
                                                                                                 Re: Debating Trees when discussion is about forests ... - (dmarker)
                                                                                 How many incidents are needed? - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                                                                     An angle on the times: HBO "Live from Baghdad" - (Ashton)
                         Oh come on...quote it right - (Simon_Jester)
             You might want to do more research... - (Simon_Jester)
             Did you see the tape of W (fis and pere) kissing Enron ass? -NT - (deSitter)
         "might be"? - (Brandioch) - (2)
             Not American tank comapny - (Arkadiy)
             Have nominated Marlowe as ... - (dmarker)

Nobody EVER expects the Spanish Inquisition!
99 ms