IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New That is a matter of perspective.
And, admittedly, when it comes to Bush/Reagan/Bush II, et. al. mine may be a little jaded. However, I think there is a very strong argument that by "not giving a red light" we gave the "green light".
New Ditto.
We knew Iraq would attack if we didn't tell them not to.

We didn't tell them not to attack.

So they attacked.

True, we didn't tell them to attack, they just checked with us first to see if we had any objections to them attacking. We told them we didn't and they attacked.

Anything else is semantic bull shit.
New Not even close.
But your statement still applies.

Nothing in the record shows anything other than a diplomat saying "we have no interest".

It's obvious to everyone that is only a "codeword" for "invade".[image|/forums/images/warning.png|0|This is sarcasm...]
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
Expand Edited by bepatient Dec. 18, 2002, 05:00:01 PM EST
Expand Edited by bepatient Dec. 18, 2002, 09:48:03 PM EST
New I think.....
....this represents a shift from the "we suckered them into an invasion
so we could kick the crap out of them" theme at the beginning of this thread.

I think you can make a case that the State Department did a shit job
of sending a clear unambiguous message about our position.

But the contention that we gave Iraq no signals that we would respond
aggressively? Sorry I think that's wrong.

"The Bush administration yesterday called for a diplomatic solution to the Persian Gulf crisis, warned Iraq against "coercion and intimidation," and ordered U.S. forces in the gulf on an emergency training exercise that officials said is meant as a response to the military buildup on the Iraqi-Kuwaiti border."

Patrick E. Tyler - Washington Post
July 25, 1990*

-Mike

*You'll have to pay to view the archives.
-- The truth is somewhere in between --
New There were lots of signals....
There were lots of signals...

Specifically, we didn't tell them that we would attack if he attacked Kuwait. That's because, as far as we can tell, it was our official position. (Which may or may not have been what Saddam was asking when he originally summoned Glaspie)

31 July: Kelly told Congress: "We have no defense treaty relationship with any Gulf country. That is clear. ... We have historically avoided taking a position on border disputes or on internal OPEC deliberations."

Rep. Lee Hamilton asked if it would be correct to say that if Iraq "charged across the border into Kuwait" the United States did "not have a treaty commitment which would obligate us to engage U.S. forces" there.

"That is correct," Kelly responded.{16}
[link|http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Blum/Iraq_KH.html| source ]

Certainly we didn't do all we could have to avoid a war.

And if that was our goal - then our State department did a fine job.
New Oh my......
Here is what was said between Assistant Secretary of State for Near Eastern and South Asian Affairs John H. Kelly, and Representative Lee Hamilton:

Hamilton: If Iraq, for example, charged across the border into Kuwait, for whatever reason, what would be our position with regard to the use of US forces?

Kelly: That, Mr. Chairman, is a hypothetical or a contingency, the kind of which I can't get into. Suffice it to say we would be extremely concerned, but I cannot get into the realm of "what if" answers.

THEN.....

Hamilton: In that circumstance, it is correct to say, however, that we do not have a treaty commitment which would obligate us to engage US forces?

Kelly: That is correct.

And this, THIS.....counts for "evidence" of our official position?
New I did state - as far as we can tell....
because that's what we were telling our own Congressmen and we've never admitted to having an official agreement with Kuwait that stated that we would assist them if Iraq invaded.

However, Kuwait seemed to think so, as one of their leaders bragged that if Iraq came after them they'd send in the Americans.

Also, Iraq produced after the invasion a document from the CIA that stated (to the effect) that we would offer Kuwait protection from Iraq. (The CIA denies that this is an official document and that no agreement existed - but then again, we run back into the problems with Iraq creating a forgery, if it wanted to create a forgery, wouldn't it have said something far worse?)

And - Bush's final communication to Iraq prior to the invasion did state that the US was concerned - but did not mention Kuwait and did not mention that America would attack.
New Yes
>>However, Kuwait seemed to think so, as one of their leaders bragged that if
>>Iraq came after them they'd send in the Americans.
.....yes! And this much is also acknowledged by Tariq Aziz in his frontline
interview. He even goes further.....he says Iraq were convinced that the U.S.A
were actually supporting Kuwait in their economic warfare.

New Which goes back to my original question....
What were you saying about it being wrong to ransack your neighbors house?
New I gerfot......
...remind me?
New Re: Debating Trees when discussion is about forests ...

I find that Mike argues deeply at the detail level whilst ignoring the macro or high level.

My this I mean he is quite good at talking about trees but too often the others in the debate are discussing forests. If you push him at the macro level, and that involes challenging US policy and behind the scenes US manipulation, he accuses you of being a conspiracy theorist, ie if the topic isn't documented somewhere in detail (barring heated debates about the meaning of words) then you are a conspiratist - doesn't seem able or willing to debate actions and there consequences as evidence of intention & deed.

e.g. If we argue that Bush Snr & his admin *blatantly* manipulated the situation in Iraq/Iran/Kuwait *particularly* from 1980 to 1991
1) 1st to contain Iran - achieved by covertly supplying war materials & loans to Iraq
2) to then contain Iraq - by helping Iran, by encouraging Kuwait & Saudi to demand repayment for war loans at a time when Iraq's oil infrastructure was wreaked
3) by then encouraging Hussien to invake Kuwait so he could be isoltaed & villanized in the Arab world

Why do all these things. One has to do a little bit of deduction & reading ...

(Per FORBES magazine August 2002 page 23) Iraq is believed to have even greater reserves of oil than Saudi Arabia (but after what US did by manipulating Iraq over the Iran war, Iraq had no desire to deal with US companies - DSM). So Russia's Lukoil consortium had signed a deal with Iraq to develop the massive West Quarna field (est 8 billion barrels) & China's China National Petroleum had signed with Iraq to develop a smaller field. No western (US) based companies were making any progress in negotiating further exploration & development with Iraq (for plainly obvious reasons) - Last week (under war threat from US) Iraq cancelled the Russian deal.

To avoid another potentially ugly & sematic war with Mike over the above - I will let the reader draw their *own* conclusions as to why US is really threatening Iraq and demonizing Saddam.

But come back to the original point about describing the trees when often the discussion is about forests.

Doug Marker
New How many incidents are needed?
There's Saddam talking to April.

There's Kelly addressing Congress.

Now, take just those two incidents and compare them with Bush's speeches after the invasion.

Prior to the invasion, we're talking about not getting involved in border disputes and so forth.

After the invasion, Bush was very clear about how he felt about it.

Where was the very clearly stated position PRIOR to the invasion? Why were we only able to articulate it AFTER the invasion?

Our own people were asking what our position was prior to the invasion and the administration wouldn't give a clear answer.

Does anyone have any doubt that the current Bush would have trouble articulating our reaction to a "what if Iraq invaded country X" scenario?

But his daddy couldn't do that?
New An angle on the times: HBO "Live from Baghdad"
re the events just before and during the bombing. This from perspectiveof the folks that showed the real-time events, from CNN. Can't ever be sure that the conversations depict events unslanted natch, but the dialogue is articulate enough - and Saddam's warts and.. viewpoint are given ~ 'equal time'.

Friend had a tape of this. It doesn't pursue the angle of 'false diplomatic stage-setting', but the man playing a high Iraqi official (and today is even Higher) is acted by David Suchet, perhaps the best Poirot of all time.
His performance alone, makes this a Must See IMhO.

Decidedly better quality a presentation than typ Hollywood dreck.

Ashton
When the rich assemble to concern themselves with the business of the poor, it is called Charity. When the poor assemble to concern themselves with the business of the rich, it is called Anarchy.

-Paul Richards
     All over in a week? - (marlowe) - (91)
         This kind of excrement is why so much of the world hates us. - (mmoffitt) - (87)
             Man you guys are good. - (bepatient)
             Holy crap, you know how to pick your sources - (marlowe) - (4)
                 Ummm.... - (folkert)
                 Re: Classic Marlowe crap - (dmarker) - (1)
                     But the link responded to ... - (bepatient)
                 Better that than knowing how to pick your noses... - (admin)
             Where's the encouragement? - (ChrisR)
             The U.S. is also one of the world's largest oil producers. - (Mike) - (77)
                 evidence is WTF I ended up in florida - (boxley)
                 Diplomatic political-speak - an art unto itself. - (Simon_Jester) - (75)
                     Yabbut - (Mike) - (74)
                         I keep forgetting not to read for content. - (mmoffitt) - (72)
                             Its in the eye of the beholder - (Mike)
                             Some content for you. - (Mike) - (70)
                                 Interesting. - (mmoffitt) - (69)
                                     Stretch it any further and it'll break. - (bepatient)
                                     Once more unto the ridiculous - (Mike)
                                     To the Two Above - (mmoffitt) - (66)
                                         To the one above... - (bepatient) - (65)
                                             Why would he lie to a US Reporter? - (mmoffitt) - (64)
                                                 What? - (bepatient) - (63)
                                                     No. I just don't drink your brand of Kool-Aid. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (62)
                                                         Then maybe you can explain the above post? - (bepatient) - (61)
                                                             No one is two words. - (mmoffitt) - (60)
                                                                 My point is clear. - (bepatient) - (43)
                                                                     Just ask yourself, what rings true? - (mmoffitt) - (42)
                                                                         If thats is all the case... - (bepatient) - (3)
                                                                             Exactly! Well said. -NT - (Mike)
                                                                             Re: makes a great conspiricy theory - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                                 Maybe if I were one or had... - (bepatient)
                                                                         Ask yourself...... - (Mike) - (37)
                                                                             C'mon now... - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                                 Ahhhhhhhhhhh.........clarity at last -NT - (Mike)
                                                                             Unless we weren't after the oil.... - (Simon_Jester) - (34)
                                                                                 So.....the gulf war - (Mike) - (1)
                                                                                     Chuckle...sure - (Simon_Jester)
                                                                                 Hmmm... - (bepatient) - (31)
                                                                                     Okay, Beep. You tell me. Why do we need to attack Iraq? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (25)
                                                                                         Well I've been told... - (bepatient) - (24)
                                                                                             I like your solution to the energy (oil) problem. - (a6l6e6x) - (21)
                                                                                                 Mea Culpa syndrome... - (bepatient) - (20)
                                                                                                     The free ride comes from the larger sales they enjoy. - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                                                                                                         Thats it all over - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                                             Wow, Beep - in non-Market mode, eh? - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                                                                 Damn...that was close ;-) - (bepatient)
                                                                                                     2 problems - (Silverlock) - (15)
                                                                                                         Re: 2 problems - (bepatient) - (10)
                                                                                                             Okay - (Silverlock) - (9)
                                                                                                                 There is no naivite involved. - (bepatient) - (8)
                                                                                                                     Let me restate - (Silverlock) - (7)
                                                                                                                         And we (the people) are the ones that allowed it. - (bepatient) - (6)
                                                                                                                             Yeah. Right. - (Silverlock) - (5)
                                                                                                                                 Well...let me clarify... - (bepatient) - (4)
                                                                                                                                     No, a specific *subset* of "we" pay - (drewk) - (3)
                                                                                                                                         Whcih is why.. - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                                                                             I ... thought that was the original idea - (drewk) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                 Neither do I ;-) -NT - (bepatient)
                                                                                                         we have way too much mass for effective transit -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                                                                                                             Wrong. - (Brandioch) - (2)
                                                                                                                 certainly we could all huddle in a mass at government - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                                                     Re: Checkpoints. - (mmoffitt)
                                                                                             I'm sorry, I got distracted there for a second... - (jb4) - (1)
                                                                                                 Methinks you're still distracted. - (bepatient)
                                                                                     Which war? - (Simon_Jester)
                                                                                     No silly. - (Mike) - (3)
                                                                                         *cough*...mine.... - (bepatient)
                                                                                         How faked moon landings led to cheesy goldfish ;-) - (bbronson) - (1)
                                                                                             :-) -NT - (Mike)
                                                                 Don't waste your time. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                                                     Mea Culpa. - (mmoffitt)
                                                                 Alas, even my link doesn't show - (Simon_Jester) - (13)
                                                                     That is a matter of perspective. - (mmoffitt) - (12)
                                                                         Ditto. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                                                             Not even close. - (bepatient)
                                                                         I think..... - (Mike) - (9)
                                                                             There were lots of signals.... - (Simon_Jester) - (8)
                                                                                 Oh my...... - (Mike) - (5)
                                                                                     I did state - as far as we can tell.... - (Simon_Jester) - (4)
                                                                                         Yes - (Mike) - (3)
                                                                                             Which goes back to my original question.... - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
                                                                                                 I gerfot...... - (Mike)
                                                                                                 Re: Debating Trees when discussion is about forests ... - (dmarker)
                                                                                 How many incidents are needed? - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                                                                     An angle on the times: HBO "Live from Baghdad" - (Ashton)
                         Oh come on...quote it right - (Simon_Jester)
             You might want to do more research... - (Simon_Jester)
             Did you see the tape of W (fis and pere) kissing Enron ass? -NT - (deSitter)
         "might be"? - (Brandioch) - (2)
             Not American tank comapny - (Arkadiy)
             Have nominated Marlowe as ... - (dmarker)

We're not going to play any mature games, are we?
118 ms