IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The free ride comes from the larger sales they enjoy.
The consumption of oil/gasoline would be considerably reduced if it was properly taxed. And there is also the possibility of competition from alternative energy sources that might be taxed (if at all) differently.

But you are right, ultimately it is we the consumers that pay. The problem is that, at present, we do not pay in proportion to the harm we cause.
Alex

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session."\t-- Mark Twain
New Thats it all over
The problem is that, at present, we do not pay in proportion to the harm we cause.

That may be one of the most sensible things I've seen posted in a while.

The problem that I have is that, instead of us recognizing this..we spend all of our time blaming the businesses that give us the fix...

And when we talk about the failed "war on drugs"...we say it can never be successful because where there is demand there will always be supply...so attacking supply is destined to fail...yet here it seems to be the easy solution...blame the corp...make them pay.

We...the people...are the #1 polluters. Corporations get the press...and the movie coverage...but we are vastly more dangerous to ourselves than those "greedy corporate bastards".

But what do I know...I'm in bed with big bizness---dontcha know ;-) Right Ash?
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Wow, Beep - in non-Market mode, eh?
I mean - here's a whole thread in which you aren't just poseuring as the Corp/Devils advocate!

Ackshully - I can't think of much to argue about in this thread :-)
[Admin: Move thread to Sane Forum, please]

I think I'll reserve my area of disagreement to the same old one, and for another venue. Will agree that 'blaming the Corp for providing what We were conditioned to *Want*' is as lame as you say. Pogo Lives: we have met the enemy and -

Another time:
Obv my perennial rant concerns the naive laissez faire of the most basic and expected kinds of scams ever perpetrated by the terminally greedy - demanding accountability and appropriate *enforced* punishment of offenders. (Corporate? throw in AMA too, re nonaccountability, non-protection from repeat butchers in the club)

The 'accountability' can never occur until there is reform of the basic rules, er Charter: removing the clause bestowing 'Individual Citizenship' upon a complex collection of devious homo-saps (like the rest of us). "Free Speech via bribing congressfolk" indeed..

So along with Corp Charter revision must come campaign reform, the taking-back of the citizens' airwaves to the extent that: those who profit massively from these: release at low cost, suitable [=debated] air time as befits our paranoid style of political blab. Take the bribery $$ out of the Speech-dope selling.

Both of these are Political / Governmental problems: should Corporate be blamed for behaving as outrageously as they can almost-legally get away with? Legally perhaps No. Actually: Yes, of course. Nasty manipulation is still nasty manipulation. (Let's not do Fred Rodell's immortal description of 'the law' right here, too. Either.)

Somewhere in the New practical rules must also lie some disincentives to pay *anyone* 1000x the wage of the new-hire, obviously - presumably via Tax Rules, a part of the other reforms -- you know, like pre-Ronnie days?

We can do the .. How does Corporate suck? It sucks beyond the ends of being and ideal grace .. to the depth and breadth and height A CIEIO can manipulate .. another time.

Cheers,
I.
er.. watch that Slippery rung, just after the key to the exec john :-\ufffd
When the rich assemble to concern themselves with the business of the poor, it is called Charity. When the poor assemble to concern themselves with the business of the rich, it is called Anarchy.

-Paul Richards
New Damn...that was close ;-)
I almost was forced to agree with you 100%. :-)

It needs to be an exersize of >freedom< that changes this system. IMO, it is up to "we the people" to take back what is rightfully ours. I do not blame the CIEIO for acting in the best interest of his/her constituents. (congresscritter, however...there is another story...because by allowing CIEIO to influence...he is generally >not< acting in the best interest of his/hers)

If we deem CEO pay unacceptable, ensure that it is lowered by acting upon it.

Same with Hollywood.

Same with Sports.

Won't ever be able to fix CEO pay with ARod making 120 gazillion and a share of the team.

Won't have it when you pay Denzel and John T 20+ million a film.

I personally don't have any problem with high pay...as long as it has a basis in value (something that was severely lacking in the dot-bomb era). Jack Welch, on the other hand, turned GE from light bulb failure to manufacturing powerhouse...in the end...to the stockholders..he was probably worth every penny. I >really< don't like it when you decide what your own pay scale should be (Congress)...pay raises to Congress should be >voted< into place.

Taking away the ability to get stinky rich is to tarnish the American Dream (tm).
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
Still trying to aquire that key ;-p
     All over in a week? - (marlowe) - (91)
         This kind of excrement is why so much of the world hates us. - (mmoffitt) - (87)
             Man you guys are good. - (bepatient)
             Holy crap, you know how to pick your sources - (marlowe) - (4)
                 Ummm.... - (folkert)
                 Re: Classic Marlowe crap - (dmarker) - (1)
                     But the link responded to ... - (bepatient)
                 Better that than knowing how to pick your noses... - (admin)
             Where's the encouragement? - (ChrisR)
             The U.S. is also one of the world's largest oil producers. - (Mike) - (77)
                 evidence is WTF I ended up in florida - (boxley)
                 Diplomatic political-speak - an art unto itself. - (Simon_Jester) - (75)
                     Yabbut - (Mike) - (74)
                         I keep forgetting not to read for content. - (mmoffitt) - (72)
                             Its in the eye of the beholder - (Mike)
                             Some content for you. - (Mike) - (70)
                                 Interesting. - (mmoffitt) - (69)
                                     Stretch it any further and it'll break. - (bepatient)
                                     Once more unto the ridiculous - (Mike)
                                     To the Two Above - (mmoffitt) - (66)
                                         To the one above... - (bepatient) - (65)
                                             Why would he lie to a US Reporter? - (mmoffitt) - (64)
                                                 What? - (bepatient) - (63)
                                                     No. I just don't drink your brand of Kool-Aid. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (62)
                                                         Then maybe you can explain the above post? - (bepatient) - (61)
                                                             No one is two words. - (mmoffitt) - (60)
                                                                 My point is clear. - (bepatient) - (43)
                                                                     Just ask yourself, what rings true? - (mmoffitt) - (42)
                                                                         If thats is all the case... - (bepatient) - (3)
                                                                             Exactly! Well said. -NT - (Mike)
                                                                             Re: makes a great conspiricy theory - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                                 Maybe if I were one or had... - (bepatient)
                                                                         Ask yourself...... - (Mike) - (37)
                                                                             C'mon now... - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                                 Ahhhhhhhhhhh.........clarity at last -NT - (Mike)
                                                                             Unless we weren't after the oil.... - (Simon_Jester) - (34)
                                                                                 So.....the gulf war - (Mike) - (1)
                                                                                     Chuckle...sure - (Simon_Jester)
                                                                                 Hmmm... - (bepatient) - (31)
                                                                                     Okay, Beep. You tell me. Why do we need to attack Iraq? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (25)
                                                                                         Well I've been told... - (bepatient) - (24)
                                                                                             I like your solution to the energy (oil) problem. - (a6l6e6x) - (21)
                                                                                                 Mea Culpa syndrome... - (bepatient) - (20)
                                                                                                     The free ride comes from the larger sales they enjoy. - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                                                                                                         Thats it all over - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                                             Wow, Beep - in non-Market mode, eh? - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                                                                 Damn...that was close ;-) - (bepatient)
                                                                                                     2 problems - (Silverlock) - (15)
                                                                                                         Re: 2 problems - (bepatient) - (10)
                                                                                                             Okay - (Silverlock) - (9)
                                                                                                                 There is no naivite involved. - (bepatient) - (8)
                                                                                                                     Let me restate - (Silverlock) - (7)
                                                                                                                         And we (the people) are the ones that allowed it. - (bepatient) - (6)
                                                                                                                             Yeah. Right. - (Silverlock) - (5)
                                                                                                                                 Well...let me clarify... - (bepatient) - (4)
                                                                                                                                     No, a specific *subset* of "we" pay - (drewk) - (3)
                                                                                                                                         Whcih is why.. - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                                                                             I ... thought that was the original idea - (drewk) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                 Neither do I ;-) -NT - (bepatient)
                                                                                                         we have way too much mass for effective transit -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                                                                                                             Wrong. - (Brandioch) - (2)
                                                                                                                 certainly we could all huddle in a mass at government - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                                                     Re: Checkpoints. - (mmoffitt)
                                                                                             I'm sorry, I got distracted there for a second... - (jb4) - (1)
                                                                                                 Methinks you're still distracted. - (bepatient)
                                                                                     Which war? - (Simon_Jester)
                                                                                     No silly. - (Mike) - (3)
                                                                                         *cough*...mine.... - (bepatient)
                                                                                         How faked moon landings led to cheesy goldfish ;-) - (bbronson) - (1)
                                                                                             :-) -NT - (Mike)
                                                                 Don't waste your time. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                                                     Mea Culpa. - (mmoffitt)
                                                                 Alas, even my link doesn't show - (Simon_Jester) - (13)
                                                                     That is a matter of perspective. - (mmoffitt) - (12)
                                                                         Ditto. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                                                             Not even close. - (bepatient)
                                                                         I think..... - (Mike) - (9)
                                                                             There were lots of signals.... - (Simon_Jester) - (8)
                                                                                 Oh my...... - (Mike) - (5)
                                                                                     I did state - as far as we can tell.... - (Simon_Jester) - (4)
                                                                                         Yes - (Mike) - (3)
                                                                                             Which goes back to my original question.... - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
                                                                                                 I gerfot...... - (Mike)
                                                                                                 Re: Debating Trees when discussion is about forests ... - (dmarker)
                                                                                 How many incidents are needed? - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                                                                     An angle on the times: HBO "Live from Baghdad" - (Ashton)
                         Oh come on...quote it right - (Simon_Jester)
             You might want to do more research... - (Simon_Jester)
             Did you see the tape of W (fis and pere) kissing Enron ass? -NT - (deSitter)
         "might be"? - (Brandioch) - (2)
             Not American tank comapny - (Arkadiy)
             Have nominated Marlowe as ... - (dmarker)

Spiderman! Spiderman! Does whatever a spider can!
85 ms