IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Like he said ^^^^
Let's say the kill zone in the head is 6" in diameter. At 500m, this subtends an angle of 7 minutes of arc. For comparison, the Moon is about 30. That's 1/4 the diamemter of the Moon. To do that consistently would require a very good marksman. But is is possible.

In contrast, a 6' man is 12 times as big, or 3 times the size of the Moon - or about the size of the Moon if you just consider the torso. I could hit that with a slingshot!

I suppose the M16 has a very high muzzle velocity so the slug flies true.

Lee Harvey Oswald and Charles Whitman (UT clock tower) were famous shooters. What did they have in common?

-drl
New Argh!
Forgot to convert to radians. That makes it more interesting. Everything is reduced by a factor of 2pi = 6.3 - so the body shot is difficult, the head shot extremely difficult. The head is reduced to about 1 minute of arc - the size of the planet Venus at inferior conjunction, and just a little bigger than Jupiter at opposition!
-drl
Expand Edited by deSitter Oct. 15, 2002, 02:18:17 PM EDT
New Yes it does
I suppose the M16 has a very high muzzle velocity so the slug flies true.
According to [link|http://www.hqmc.usmc.mil/factfile.nsf/7e931335d515626a8525628100676e0c/6a60172b3db3d5ce8525627b0062d928?OpenDocument|this][1]:
Maximum effective range:
Area target: 2,624.8 feet (800 meters)
Point target: 1,804.5 feet (550 meters)
Muzzle velocity: 2,800 feet (853 meters) per second
In their lexicon, "point target" means accurate enough for man-sized targets, "area target" means accurate enough for vehicles or clustered groups of personnel. The figures are also baseline for an "average" rifle. It is possible to "tune" one to be even better.

In short, it's possible for a decent shooter with a M-16 and iron sights (ie: no scope) to score headshots from more than far enough away to escape identification. And the rounds recovered so far are .223 calibre, which works out to the M-16's 5.56mm. Think .22 slug in a high-power rifle casing. This design trades superior long-range accuracy for decreased stopping power.

[1] Blargh, what a great URL.
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
New OT: The URL.
That's a Lotus Domino (nee Notes) server. :-) See the ".nsf" buried in the middle? That's how you know.

Wade.

"Ah. One of the difficult questions."

Is It Terrorism? - (deSitter) - (29)
         Been wondering that myself - (SpiceWare) - (9)
             Re: Been wondering that myself - (deSitter)
             Distance. - (inthane-chan) - (7)
                 400m with a M16A2 without a scope. - (Brandioch)
                 Like he said ^^^^ - (drewk) - (5)
                     Re: Like he said ^^^^ - (deSitter) - (3)
                         Argh! - (deSitter)
                         Yes it does - (drewk) - (1)
                             OT: The URL. - (static)
                     Some people are just naturals - (Silverlock)
         We covered this scenario before. - (Brandioch)
         Psycho not terrorist - (JayMehaffey) - (12)
             White vans - (wharris2) - (11)
                 Re: White vans - (deSitter) - (10)
                     You've been watching too many Bruce Willis films. - (admin) - (9)
                         Yeah, but ya gotta admit... - (CRConrad) - (7)
                             Have you seen "The Jackal"? -NT - (admin) - (6)
                                 No - a remake of "Day of the Jackal"? -NT - (deSitter) - (2)
                                     I don't think so. - (admin) - (1)
                                         Re: I don't think so. - (deSitter)
                                 Long, long ago - and long before that, I'd *read* it (twice) - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                     This is a remake of Fred Zinnemann's 1973 adaptation - (admin) - (1)
                                         Moscow AND Helsinki? Funny... - (CRConrad)
                         Yippee Kiyea, Mr. Anderson! -NT - (deSitter)
         Disciplined Shooter - (gdaustin) - (4)
             Hmm... Isn't that "profile" somewhat self-contradictory? - (CRConrad) - (1)
                 Nope... - (gdaustin)
             If it takes France.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                 As they say in the Marines... - (gdaustin)

Bring me more whiskey and rye!
60 ms