IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New How do I get his respect?
He doesn't seem to respect anybody or anything.

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
New (scratch)
Ooops - didn't read that sequence carefully enough.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus July 25, 2002, 12:58:33 PM EDT
New Re: How do I get his respect?
Just the way you get an adult's respect: by being honest, by keeping your word, by respecting the child.

Any method you use has to be used with respect for the child. Never attempt to change his behavior for your convinience alone.

That said, my method (I started to apply it when they were old enough to walk) of coping with lack of obedience is to slowly count to 3, repeating the request after every count. 1, 2, 2 and 1/2, 3. If the word "three" is said, it does not matter whether the child does as he is told: a punishment follows no matter what. Of course, the compliance is still requered after punshement. It used to be spanking, now it's mostly sending them (twins) up to their room, or not taking the guilty party somewhere and so on. Things go to "three" no more that once a month nowadays.

There was one moment when one of the kids (he was 3 then) obviously tried to break the system. I think it was drawing on the walls that brought the challenge. After being told not to do it many times (more than 3 :) ), He was given a final notice: once again, and some pain will happen. So he scrawled something once again, and got spanked. I asked him if he understood. "No" was the answer. I administered a more severe dose, and asked again. "No" again. After the third attempt, he broke into tears. We hugged 50 seconds later, and the question was settled. (I wish I could say that they never drew on walls again... But next time around, punishment was accepted as justified, w/o defiance. And it only happens couple times a year, not every other day, And I don't have to spank them any more.)

Now, that may seem cold and cruel. I do not see it that way from the inside. I hope dearly that the kids don't see it so. Time will tell. But for now, there seems to be some rather pleasant balance reached in the family.

Overall, just use your head. I don't remember who said it: "A commander can only get pissed in front of his troop for show". You can only get mad at a kid for show. If you are mad for real, run away as fast as you can. You'll regret whatever you've done in anger. Come back when you're calmer. Praise is unlimited, unless it's incincere. Anger must be incincere at all times.
Expand Edited by Arkadiy July 25, 2002, 12:56:43 PM EDT
New Wise words.
Especially re the essential! insincerity of 'anger' before a child. I think that's the clearest I've ever heard this put. (And indeed - adults may need those famous time outs even more than the kiddies)

Kudos,

Ashton
New Simplicity works well
Lay down the rules. Then you have to follow them. You can't expect a child to follow rules if you don't. If you say "don't do this or you will be punished" and then don't deliver punishment when they do, expect constant trouble.
"...the problem with the French is that they don\ufffdt have a word for entrepreneur."

George W. Bush
     Hamas leader killed, children killed too - (marlowe) - (38)
         This is to be condemned by all sides - (boxley) - (1)
             Israel is all in knots over it. - (Arkadiy)
         Residential building, after midnight. - (Brandioch) - (6)
             They should be using the SAS Model that the Brits used in NI - (boxley)
             Murican as apple pie IF... - (Ashton) - (4)
                 Yup. - (Brandioch) - (3)
                     "collateral damage" - this ugly and premeditated event - (Ashton)
                     Nit - (boxley) - (1)
                         When did that ever stop us or our allies? - (Brandioch)
         2 reactions - (wharris2) - (14)
             Small children are by definition innocent. - (marlowe) - (13)
                 Never had any kids, did you? - (orion) - (8)
                     Re: Never had any kids, did you? - (wharris2) - (1)
                         I am a father of twins, - (Arkadiy)
                     Better nip that in the bud. - (marlowe) - (5)
                         How do I get his respect? - (orion) - (4)
                             (scratch) - (Andrew Grygus)
                             Re: How do I get his respect? - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                                 Wise words. - (Ashton)
                                 Simplicity works well - (Silverlock)
                 Bull - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                     Bull indeed. - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                         Nostalgia . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                             Yep - (Arkadiy)
         Re: Children Killed ? - (dmarker2) - (9)
             But that's the problem. - (Brandioch) - (8)
                 One major difference - (screamer)
                 The target matters - (mhuber) - (6)
                     That's how it always is. - (Brandioch) - (5)
                         Q for you - (rsf) - (3)
                             No. - (Brandioch) - (2)
                                 Analogy doesn't hold - (rsf) - (1)
                                     It does hold. - (Brandioch)
                         Problem. - (wharris2)
         Time for the ICC to step in? - (ChrisR) - (3)
             Results - (wharris2) - (1)
                 Re: Kaddafi (Qadaffi, etc:) - (dmarker2)
             How can the ICC put sharon in the doc without putting arafat - (boxley)

Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I'll BEAT YOU WITH until you realize who's in command.
87 ms