IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Qmodem I used
it seemed to be more reliable than Procomm. The Apple // users claimed that Procomm for DOS had ripped off Pro Term for the Apple // systems. Did anyone ever validate that claim? Yet another "not invented here" syndrome? They claimed that it even had the same bugs as Pro Term, what a complete copy, eh?

Anyway Qmodem seemed to work better, and I carried around a DOS boot disk with QMODEM on it and my dialing directory when I visited computer labs with PC and XT systems that had modems in them. Usually College Labs that didn't check for student IDs and let almost anyone get in that looked like a student. Nice to use their 1200 baud modems and phone lines to play Tradewars and download files. :) Last I heard Qmodem was ported to 32 bit Windows, and it didn't do as good.

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
New Most BBSers had their favourite.
I used Telix for a long time until I discovered Terminate. Other people swore by Qmodem, or ProComm, or RipTerm or that other thing that had a bizarre command line.

Wade.

"Ah. One of the difficult questions."

New Bitcomm?
I remember that Bitcomm was a bit weird and not very user friendly. It also liked to lock up modems.

New That doesn't sound right.
It was part of the Zmodem suite of programs that were downloadable if your term program couldn't Zmodem. Ah, I remembered it: Zcomm (also called YAM). Very powerful, but very different!

Wade.

New Trying to remember this one...
It was a character-based "windowing" terminal app, with some simple multitasking built in - I seem to remember being able to bop out to a MS-DOS command prompt while downloading. Built in support for 43/50 line displays.

Ring a bell for anybody?
There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
New Kermit?
."Once, in the wilds of Afghanistan, I had to subsist on food and water for several weeks." W.C. Fields
New Nope.
New Most of my friends used DoubleDOS for that.
DoubleDOS was able to run two DOS programs side by side and hotkey switch between them. They would DoubleDOS Procomm, and then DoubleDOS a command prompt in the other one.

I had a friend who ran the Hellfire Club BBS, and he decided to DoubleDOS the WWIV BBS in one session, and then DoubleDOS Test Drive in the other. When he switched to the WWIV BBS, he had garbage in that screen. Apparently it didn't handle direct to hardware memory writes too well or something.

New Sounds familiar.
But many term programs had support for 43/50 line mode, so that's no help.

I think Terminate could do that, but I suspect that's not what you meant as Terminate was a little bit of a latecomer.

Wade.

New Me, too (trying to remember)
Wasn't it the "biggie" of the commercial programs? Not shareware Procomm, don't think it was named anything like minicom or bitcom, but there was one that was *THE* communications program of choice for anyone who bought a comm program. (This is, of course, pre-Windows Procomm. Windows Procomm, while it had its flaws, grabbed the Windows 3.x market pretty quickly.)
New No idea...
To be honest, at the time one might say I was "ethically challenged" - a friend of mine gave me the comm app.
New I Remember (I think)
Crosstalk! Biggie for DOS people converting over from CP/M and/or people buying comm programs.

Did they ever come out with a Windows version? If they did, Procomm had already nabbed the market. Crosstalk pretty much vanished from the scene after a workable Windows (aka 3.1) was released.
The lawyers would mostly rather be what they are than get out of the way even if the cost was Hammerfall. - Jerry Pournelle
New OT re your JerryP quote: Would those be *Intel* lawyers? :-)
New Re: OT re your JerryP quote: Would those be *Intel* lawyers?
I think that's lawyers in general: they'd rather suck blood than preserve the human race. See [link|http://www.overlawyered.com|www.overlawyered.com] for lots and lots of examples.

Hammerfall is, of course, his novel (I think co-written with Larry Niven) about an asteroid doing a big smack-down on Earth.
The lawyers would mostly rather be what they are than get out of the way even if the cost was Hammerfall. - Jerry Pournelle
New Duh - think I didn't know that? (T'was a pun; AMD "Hammer")
New Novel name was "Lucifer's Hammer"
The event itself was called Hammerfall, though...
New I agree
working for lawyers isn't so good either. Sort of like working for The Devil, eventually you know you are going to get screwed sometime.

New Any of these ring a bell? (Lots of other nostalgiaware too)
[link|http://www.safelink.net/danrose/aw-dos-07.html|A DOS comm. program list] from
[link|http://www.safelink.net/danrose/aw-dos.html|Dan's 20th. Century Abandonware ]

Ah, memories...
--
Chris Altmann
New Nope.
New Ah! Crosstalk was it, I'm sure
New Microsoft Access
Not the database, but the Microsoft COM Terminal. Anyone remember that stinkeroo? Maybe it was the "mystery" terminal program?

New Never used it, but I remember it.
It musta stunk - MS reused the name.

Wade.

courtesy MMoffit, MS products that really work(ed) - (boxley) - (67)
         Let me add to this list: - (jb4)
         MultiPlan??? - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
             MultiPlan was a huge freaking *revelation* to me. - (CRConrad) - (2)
                 Yup (R1C1) - (altmann)
                 Re: MultiPlan was a great product on Xenix - (dmarker2)
             Dang,,,, - (folkert) - (1)
                 Re: the CAD package. Generic CAD? I still have diskettes. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Solitare -NT - (Silverlock) - (2)
             And, of course, FreeCell! -NT - (jb4)
             No - the OS/2 solitare is much better. -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
         Don't you forget... - (orion)
         Gah - (wharris2) - (51)
             terminal.exe sux? - (boxley) - (28)
                 HyperTerm suffers from what I call the ProComm Error. - (static) - (27)
                     Er, boggle? - (admin) - (23)
                         Well... - (static) - (22)
                             Qmodem I used - (orion) - (21)
                                 Most BBSers had their favourite. - (static) - (20)
                                     Bitcomm? - (orion) - (1)
                                         That doesn't sound right. - (static)
                                     Trying to remember this one... - (inthane-chan) - (17)
                                         Kermit? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                             Nope. -NT - (inthane-chan)
                                         Most of my friends used DoubleDOS for that. - (orion)
                                         Sounds familiar. - (static)
                                         Me, too (trying to remember) - (wharris2) - (7)
                                             No idea... - (inthane-chan)
                                             I Remember (I think) - (wharris2) - (5)
                                                 OT re your JerryP quote: Would those be *Intel* lawyers? :-) -NT - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                                     Re: OT re your JerryP quote: Would those be *Intel* lawyers? - (wharris2) - (3)
                                                         Duh - think I didn't know that? (T'was a pun; AMD "Hammer") -NT - (CRConrad)
                                                         Novel name was "Lucifer's Hammer" - (inthane-chan)
                                                         I agree - (orion)
                                         Any of these ring a bell? (Lots of other nostalgiaware too) - (altmann) - (4)
                                             Nope. -NT - (inthane-chan)
                                             Ah! Crosstalk was it, I'm sure -NT - (wharris2)
                                             Microsoft Access - (orion) - (1)
                                                 Never used it, but I remember it. - (static)
                     Eh? - (pwhysall) - (2)
                         I posted in a hurry. - (static) - (1)
                             Hyperterm - (orion)
             Long lost sidekick - (Silverlock) - (21)
                 Borland, not a Microsoft product - (orion) - (18)
                     I think he's talking about Edit, not Sidekick - note... - (CRConrad) - (17)
                         Other Borland "Classics" - (orion) - (1)
                             Re: Quatro -- I use Quatro Pro for Windows (5.0)... - (a6l6e6x)
                         Small "s" sidekick - (orion)
                         Borland Sidekick - (orion) - (1)
                             Starfish, owned by Motorola, where Phillipe Khan hangs out. - (a6l6e6x)
                         Hobgoblin - (Silverlock) - (11)
                             That is what I thought you said - (orion) - (9)
                                 Well ex-bloody-squeeze the Hell outta me for knowing English - (CRConrad) - (8)
                                     Oh no, you're never wrong - (orion) - (1)
                                         Well, I'm glad somebody *finally* realizes that! :-) -NT - (CRConrad)
                                     wasnt sidekick the program - (boxley) - (3)
                                         I think that was "Sideways" - (orion) - (2)
                                             If you remember back when - (boxley) - (1)
                                                 I remember farther - (orion)
                                     Squeezing bloody hell out of you for being dead wrong - (wharris2) - (1)
                                         Yeah, yeah... Lurve ya too, Jungle-Face. - (CRConrad)
                             Yeah, yeah, we all have 'em - tho mine's called Literacy.;^) -NT - (CRConrad)
                 Naah, it sucked - and was bloated as all Hell, too. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                     EDIT.COM - (orion)
         Pre-Windows Office Components on the Mac - (tuberculosis) - (3)
             Actually, now that you mention it... - (static) - (1)
                 Wade, anything from Micros~1 with a 6 is a PoS - (jb4)
             Cricket Graph! - (snork)

Where's web cam sex show Barbie?
184 ms