IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New MultiPlan???
The spreadsheet that took four times as many keystrokes as any other to do anything? That thing was an absolute horror.

Personally, I'm still using SuperCalc3.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New MultiPlan was a huge freaking *revelation* to me.
First semester at university, the second or third course I took was Bizniss Administraychun; they introduced us to something called a "spreadsheet", which I fell pretty much in love with. That spreadsheet was MultiPlan, "for DOS", I assume -- can't be quite sure, 'coz the machines we ran it on were (as often happened in those days) not-quite-compatible "almost-PCs" from, IIRC, Wang.

Two reflections on MultiPlan:

1: If BA had been the first subject where I met computers, that might well have been what I later specialized in; thank the GRR the first was Statistics, so I wasn't imprinted, duckling-like, on MultiPlan but on MiniTab (a statistical package [cum-{crude-}programming-language]).

2: Does Excel still do that "C1R2" thing for absolute references, and "[C-1][R-2]" for relative? I know it did up until at least version 5, and given M$' fetish for backwards compatibility, probably later too... And that *still* seems so much more logical to me than the damn stupid Artoo-Detoo system they copied (I assume?) from Lotus.
   Christian R. Conrad
Microsoft is a true reflection of Bill Gates' personality - the sleaziest, most unethical, ugliest little rat's ass the world has seen unto this time.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=42971|Andrew Grygus]
New Yup (R1C1)
From the Excel 2002 help file:

You can also use a reference style where both the rows and the columns on the worksheet are numbered. The R1C1 reference style is useful for computing row and column positions in macros. In the R1C1 style, Excel indicates the location of a cell with an "R" followed by a row number and a "C" followed by a column number.

Reference Meaning
R[-2]C A relative reference to the cell two rows up and in the same column
R[2]C[2] A relative reference to the cell two rows down and two columns to the right
R2C2 An absolute reference to the cell in the second row and in the second column
R[-1] A relative reference to the entire row above the active cell
R An absolute reference to the current row

When you record a macro, Excel records some commands by using the R1C1 reference style. For example, if you record a command such as clicking the AutoSum button to insert a formula that adds a range of cells, Excel records the formula by using R1C1 style, not A1 style, references.

To turn R1C1 reference style on or off
Click Options on the Tools menu, and then click the General tab.

Under Settings, select or clear the R1C1 reference style check box.
--
Chris Altmann
New Re: MultiPlan was a great product on Xenix
My first experience with spreadsheets was some software running on an IBM mainframe that rented for 12,000 per month back in the early 1970s. iPlan interactive - or some such name. Years later it was visicalc then multiplan running on Xenix & that *was* a terrific program. The damned thing could be invoked for multiple concurrent sessions. It could pass parameters between sessions etc: etc:. But Bill killed it when he realised that he couldn't get as much moola from Xenix as he was getting from DOS.

Maybe on DOS multiplan was not as nice.

Cheers Doug
New Dang,,,,
I started on SuperCalc(v1 if I recall never really had a version #) on a Tandy 2000, one of the (maybe the only) "Made it to Market" 80186 computers. DOS...hmmm v?? dunno was late '87 though, prolly 2.?. Was the first Computer I had, that had a real (16) COLOR DISPLAY!!!!

This one was really great... it had XENIX on the 10MB hard drive and I used floppies to boot into DOS and ran SC from a 360K disk... a second one for the print engine... Never really used the XENIX... didn't like it at the time... ended up using debug 0800:70 (I believe) to start the low-level format from the controller, and installed DOS on the HD. (BONKS SELF in HEAD) didn;t know what I had.

The stuff I used to do with that... WOW... sales report graphs for a few local companies... all being plotted out on a time-shared E size 16 pen 102"/sec plotter I had access to... Man brings back some memories.

Shoot can't remember the CAD package I had then too... it ran on 4 - 360K floppies...

Then I DISCOVERED BBSing... and it has been ALL down hill from there.

The one thing I remember about that T2000... I needed a forklift to move it anywhere...

greg, curley95@attbi.com -- REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!
New Re: the CAD package. Generic CAD? I still have diskettes.
Alex

"Television: chewing gum for the eyes." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
     courtesy MMoffit, MS products that really work(ed) - (boxley) - (67)
         Let me add to this list: - (jb4)
         MultiPlan??? - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
             MultiPlan was a huge freaking *revelation* to me. - (CRConrad) - (2)
                 Yup (R1C1) - (altmann)
                 Re: MultiPlan was a great product on Xenix - (dmarker2)
             Dang,,,, - (folkert) - (1)
                 Re: the CAD package. Generic CAD? I still have diskettes. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Solitare -NT - (Silverlock) - (2)
             And, of course, FreeCell! -NT - (jb4)
             No - the OS/2 solitare is much better. -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
         Don't you forget... - (orion)
         Gah - (wharris2) - (51)
             terminal.exe sux? - (boxley) - (28)
                 HyperTerm suffers from what I call the ProComm Error. - (static) - (27)
                     Er, boggle? - (admin) - (23)
                         Well... - (static) - (22)
                             Qmodem I used - (orion) - (21)
                                 Most BBSers had their favourite. - (static) - (20)
                                     Bitcomm? - (orion) - (1)
                                         That doesn't sound right. - (static)
                                     Trying to remember this one... - (inthane-chan) - (17)
                                         Kermit? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                             Nope. -NT - (inthane-chan)
                                         Most of my friends used DoubleDOS for that. - (orion)
                                         Sounds familiar. - (static)
                                         Me, too (trying to remember) - (wharris2) - (7)
                                             No idea... - (inthane-chan)
                                             I Remember (I think) - (wharris2) - (5)
                                                 OT re your JerryP quote: Would those be *Intel* lawyers? :-) -NT - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                                     Re: OT re your JerryP quote: Would those be *Intel* lawyers? - (wharris2) - (3)
                                                         Duh - think I didn't know that? (T'was a pun; AMD "Hammer") -NT - (CRConrad)
                                                         Novel name was "Lucifer's Hammer" - (inthane-chan)
                                                         I agree - (orion)
                                         Any of these ring a bell? (Lots of other nostalgiaware too) - (altmann) - (4)
                                             Nope. -NT - (inthane-chan)
                                             Ah! Crosstalk was it, I'm sure -NT - (wharris2)
                                             Microsoft Access - (orion) - (1)
                                                 Never used it, but I remember it. - (static)
                     Eh? - (pwhysall) - (2)
                         I posted in a hurry. - (static) - (1)
                             Hyperterm - (orion)
             Long lost sidekick - (Silverlock) - (21)
                 Borland, not a Microsoft product - (orion) - (18)
                     I think he's talking about Edit, not Sidekick - note... - (CRConrad) - (17)
                         Other Borland "Classics" - (orion) - (1)
                             Re: Quatro -- I use Quatro Pro for Windows (5.0)... - (a6l6e6x)
                         Small "s" sidekick - (orion)
                         Borland Sidekick - (orion) - (1)
                             Starfish, owned by Motorola, where Phillipe Khan hangs out. - (a6l6e6x)
                         Hobgoblin - (Silverlock) - (11)
                             That is what I thought you said - (orion) - (9)
                                 Well ex-bloody-squeeze the Hell outta me for knowing English - (CRConrad) - (8)
                                     Oh no, you're never wrong - (orion) - (1)
                                         Well, I'm glad somebody *finally* realizes that! :-) -NT - (CRConrad)
                                     wasnt sidekick the program - (boxley) - (3)
                                         I think that was "Sideways" - (orion) - (2)
                                             If you remember back when - (boxley) - (1)
                                                 I remember farther - (orion)
                                     Squeezing bloody hell out of you for being dead wrong - (wharris2) - (1)
                                         Yeah, yeah... Lurve ya too, Jungle-Face. - (CRConrad)
                             Yeah, yeah, we all have 'em - tho mine's called Literacy.;^) -NT - (CRConrad)
                 Naah, it sucked - and was bloated as all Hell, too. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                     EDIT.COM - (orion)
         Pre-Windows Office Components on the Mac - (tuberculosis) - (3)
             Actually, now that you mention it... - (static) - (1)
                 Wade, anything from Micros~1 with a 6 is a PoS - (jb4)
             Cricket Graph! - (snork)

Can bitching and moaning atone?
79 ms