IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Good point, and one which I didn't consider at all
Outwith the realms of genuine/exotic sports cars, everyone can use regular (aka non V-Power (other brands are available)) fuel, over here.

Anyone buying a car that needs the fancy stuff knows about it. You can run a Ferrari on the normal stuff from a supermarket forecourt, although it'll do better on the posh juice.
New I think it is a feature of imported Euro motors
European regular (Euro 95) is roughly US 91. They might be able to use US regular (87 here, ~ Euro 91) but as there is no European equivalent, the paperwork doesn't say.
New 91 octane required might be "required".
When I was looking at new VWs in 2003, one of the things that turned me off on some of the models was the "91 octane required" statement. But then I talked with a VW lover at work with a Passat and he said he runs regular 87 in it all the time with no issues. And that makes sense - modern control electronics adjust the timing, etc., to minimize pinging no matter the fuel. It's just that to get the best (and rated) power out of it, you need the higher octane gas.

The Mini might be the same way.

https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/to-save-money-on-gas-stop-buying-premium.html

Cheers,
Scott.
New Check their "91 required" list
The Minis are on it :-) They're not going to stick their neck out and countermand the manufacturers.

The key thing is the lack of certification. If you use 87 and it burns a piston, you'll end up holding the bag, even if still under warranty.

In the end, compression is the source of pinging/knocking and the ECU can fiddle only so much with the ignition timing to cool things down. It can't change the compression ratio.
New Yeahbut, so are VW Passats. ;-)
Yes, nobody is going to recommend it in writing with all the potential liability, but...

You must wash and wax 3 times next sat. Then sleep with feetfacing southwest for 3 day's.
Good luck

;-)

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New re Knocking.. Yess
My impression also ... unless you Are an 'explosives engineer' /also thermodynamicist: you cannot imagine what hapens when 'burning'
becomes Detonation; the little mouse momentarily tears-off a small carbon-flake (firmly attached to some aluminum!), likely at that spot
already? a precursor to a new 'crack' etc.

tl;tl ...how Many? little-bites before Carmageddon happens--in a trice? Roll dem dice -->
     Anyone know about used Mini Coopers? - (drook) - (27)
         anecdotal, engine overheating issues -NT - (boxley)
         My step-mom has one that she bought new. - (Another Scott)
         Re: Anyone know about used Mini Coopers? - (pwhysall) - (11)
             Yes, the new generation - (drook) - (10)
                 Does look a bit strange - (scoenye) - (9)
                     Re: Minis take 91+ fuel - (a6l6e6x)
                     Good point, and one which I didn't consider at all - (pwhysall) - (5)
                         I think it is a feature of imported Euro motors - (scoenye) - (4)
                             91 octane required might be "required". - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                 Check their "91 required" list - (scoenye) - (2)
                                     Yeahbut, so are VW Passats. ;-) - (Another Scott)
                                     re Knocking.. Yess - (Ashton)
                     Good catch, I'll look for that - (drook) - (1)
                         Just had a quick look on Auto Trader UK - (pwhysall)
         Similarly (anecdotal) over n-years - (Ashton) - (6)
             We made great cars in the 50s - (pwhysall) - (5)
                 Some people noticed ... - (dmcarls)
                 I owned quite a few English cars . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                     MG TC ...Heh - (Ashton) - (2)
                         The TC did not have a crash box . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                             I drove it; didn't 'try' for lazy-shift, went as-if no synchros. - (Ashton)
         Re: Anyone know about used Mini Coopers? - (TB D) - (3)
             I'll make sure I drive it, thanks -NT - (drook)
             That sounds like a Cooper S - (pwhysall)
             Good point - (crazy)
         Today I learned some Cooper drivers are frustrated BMW drivers. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
             If that ain't Al Punte, I don't know a spear-chucker from a bludgeon-swinger. - (Ashton)

If I have enough time to pro-actively squirt saltwater up my nose, I'd rather use that time to floss.
54 ms