IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Malki on San Bernardino
http://wondermark.com/san-bernardino/

Above: My dad, quoted in the San Bernardino Sun-Telegram, 1959. When Dad emigrated to America, he could have settled anywhere, really. He ended up in San Bernardino, where he built himself a business and a family and ran both with equal vigor for 50 years.

(Don’t worry — this isn’t going to be a Serious Political Post. Not really.)

Most likely you’ve heard the news this week from San Bernardino, California. A pair of jerks killed a bunch of probably real nice people. What a terrible, terrible event.

Lots of impassioned people are spilling gigaflops of pixel ink on the Big Issues raised by this mass shooting, the largest in…well, a short while.

Political points will be scored by people decrying their opponents for milking the event for political points.

People who already hate certain things (such as Muslims, or guns, or, like me, arguing on the Internet) will discover, folded into their perceptions of this event, newly colorful reasons to hate that same thing even more righteously.

I want to talk about the town. I was born and raised in San Bernardino. I lived there for 18 years, until I moved away to college. My mom and my sisters and their families live there now.

[...]

Cheers,
Scott.
New Wouldn't surprise me if Andrew has clients there.
In 2005, just before picking up my motor home from the factory in Montclair just to the East, my wife and I drove to a Camping World in San Bernardino to get supplies. It gets to look like desert fairly quickly further East.

On the way to Newfoundland this past summer we drove on I-84 near Newtown, CT. Ordinarily, it would have been just another small town name to be ignored, but no more.

Yep, it's terrible how names take on a different meaning after a tragic event.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     cali gun laws that the squaks that did the shooting complied with - (boxley) - (20)
         Some modest proposals - (gcareaga) - (2)
             I assume this is satire but JIC - (hnick)
             no prob - (boxley)
         Malki on San Bernardino - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Wouldn't surprise me if Andrew has clients there. - (a6l6e6x)
         Re: cali gun laws that the squaks that did the shooting complied with - (malraux) - (6)
             cant read it, what is it? -NT - (boxley) - (5)
                 Original source - (malraux) - (4)
                     that main chart has nothing to do with murder, it includes all deaths - (boxley) - (3)
                         So what? - (pwhysall) - (2)
                             you would have to have rope control and razxor control as well -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                 Whataboutery. - (pwhysall)
         Bors from 2012. - (Another Scott) - (7)
             of course you would be uncomfortable with open carry - (boxley) - (3)
                 'The World' will thank the mentioned Califucks for their prescience - (Ashton)
                 Too many wingers argue for "open carry everywhere". - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Same as free speech: there are time/manner/place restrictions -NT - (malraux)
             Masterful.. Piet Hein would give a nod - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Heh - (scoenye) - (1)
                     Quite.. also, - (Ashton)

No pea soup happening, I hope.
112 ms