IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Only you and I might remember this.
There was a time before digital watches, electronic watches (e.g. Bulova Accutron tuning fork) and quartz based watches. The big deal was how many jewels were used as bearings in the movement.

I once owned a self-winding Bulova mechanical watch with 21 jewels.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”

-- Isaac Asimov
New Self-winding watches were the bees' knees.
New I routinely wear automatics
And even my quartz watches set and power themselves (Casio toughsolar waveceptors).

Both Bulova and Seiko have watches that have a perfectly smooth sweeping second hand - the Precisionist and Spring Drive movements, respectively.

If you've never seen such a thing, well. The smooth sweep is hypnotic. Almost as good as the extra pause given at 12 o'clock by the second hand of a Mondaine railway clock and the watches it spawned.
New My last watch was a Citizen Eco-Drive.
A solar cell that keeps an electronic watch charged. It's a great idea that worked well. J has one too. I had to get the capacitor replaced in hers (it wouldn't keep running), but it wasn't too bad.

I think I mentioned before that I stopped wearing mine after messing up the date on a leap year and I couldn't easily figure out how to fix it. (It was a chronograph and one had to use the various buttons and dials in the right sequence at the right time of day to make the right changes for the right year. I didn't bother to try to find the manual for it.) I then realized I always had a phone with me, or could easily-enough estimate the ballpark time, so I stopped wearing it. It's nice having a uniform skin color on my left arm for the first time since I was a kid. ;-)

If I ever get the bug to wear a (non-smart) watch again, I'll probably consider something like a Citizen Perpetual AT that takes care of the calendar and time-zone stuff automatically, too.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I have one now.
I got it for Christmas after my last watch went bad (gunked up and shock from when I didn't take it off before hitting things probably harder than I should have.) It assumes I know the day and year and does not have the temerity to remind me. They go by fast enough without cheerleading. I do have a bunch of cute (analog) dials to let me time things, but I've gotten in the habit of counting the squares on the oscilloscope when I'm interested in timing accuracy. It's a nice watch and I don't have to change the batteries, which means it won't get gunked up or less water resistant. If it lasts 20 years like my last watch did, I probably won't really care what the exact time is...
"Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
New :-)
New If I had to keep just one watch for ever and ever
say, in the zombie apocalypse, it'd be this one:

Solar-powered. Radio-controlled. Indestructible. Waterproof.
New Blood and Zombie head goo proof?
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
New Yep
It is not unheard of for G-Shock owners who are selling to prep the watch for its new owner by putting it through the dishwasher.
New Yeah, perpetual is the way forward for calendars.
I have one of these:

Bit of an arse to set, but once it's done, it's done.

The G-Shocks do all that, of course, and also look after DST transitions, too.
New Pity that it's a ƒail..
If it won't tell me the name of Today, forcing me to pay attention to a time-sequence.. well,

(Besides, a few weeks of nuclear winter? there goes the capacitor charge: it also lacks the world's teensiest |---| crank, for just that situation.)
New Ahh. DST, also too. Clever.
I guess that since it refers to the WWVB timekeepers, there's no risk of it becoming obsolete if Congress changes when DST starts and ends, or they add a leap second, or whatever.

Adjusting a watch manually for DST wasn't too annoying for me, but leap days were always a pain on the Citizens I had. They had a 12 month calendar, which was normally great, but that one day every 4 years...

I did like mine a lot (I still have it - probably should get it working...) - one thing I wish it had was brighter phosphor spots for the dark. Even with all their models, it was hard to find one that was a reasonably small size that had all the features I "needed".

Cheers,
Scott.
New ✓on both.
My first Real-watch at ~12 was a {take breath} *Mido Multifort Super-automatic (buglers are supposed to be On Time, was my argument.) It was On Time, even when I wasn't.
Later, the first 'skeleton'/visible-guts Accutron, subsequently wheedled by the head honcho of Electr. Techs, who Had to have it.
(When Hg batteries died, later--as well they should--one had to come up with tiny Schottky diodes and Ag types.. for that 1.34 V.)

While hP's first foray into the fantastical L E D was a tour de force, was never tempted to put numbers!?! on my Regal wrist, thankyouverymuch.

* At ~12yo, a really savvy watchmaker in S.F. gave me the Watch-history lecture, entertainingly: he mentioned Vacheron et Constantin as sine qua non, during.
Alas, none in his small repair shop to show. But I remembered the Name.
New All that said...
...I'm wearing the shit out of this just lately:

Although it's automatic, it's not water resistant at all and it doesn't know months or leap years or anything.

But good grief, just look at it!
New We need not swim with them (and everybody knows..)
that it hardly ever rains in UK :-þ

It seems we're both afflicted with a similar pref: stark simplicity, with subtle contrasts beats-out the Swiss-knife with built-in tiniest-yet enriched-Pu reactor
to run the also-stored Library of Congress display and broadcast studio.

(Still run the 30+ yo *Seiko day-date whose dial is similarly uncluttered; its overall execution pales in comparison to this. It's way-too thick, for another demerit, though "thin" in-the-day)
Can even see that the minimalist timer functions, given the uncluttered max dial-area, would be used on occasion, and they don't destroy the umm, serenity?
Hey! maybe we gots a tad of cuth? (..or are just stubborn control-freaks.)

* ie the Bulova was it? you showed a while back, wherein they had refined basically the identical dial-layout, aka plagiarized Seiko's spot-on perspicuity.
(I never 'measured' that face via the Golden-mean ratios and such, but suspect..)
New My preference

That's not exactly what I have. Mine is about 25 years old, made by Noblia, which was a Citizen brand, so this is the successor. The band is slightly different but the face is nearly identical.
--

Drew
New Is that not a Movado knock-off?
As seen on Amazon.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”

-- Isaac Asimov
New Yeah, about 60% knocked off
--

Drew
New So, 40% innovation! :)
Alex

-- Isaac Asimov
     Most expensive watch in the world - (lincoln) - (22)
         Not even close. - (a6l6e6x) - (21)
             If you can afford any of those ... - (drook) - (20)
                 It's not about telling time, I think.. - (Ashton) - (19)
                     Only you and I might remember this. - (a6l6e6x) - (18)
                         Self-winding watches were the bees' knees. -NT - (Another Scott) - (10)
                             I routinely wear automatics - (pwhysall) - (9)
                                 My last watch was a Citizen Eco-Drive. - (Another Scott) - (8)
                                     I have one now. - (hnick) - (4)
                                         :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                         If I had to keep just one watch for ever and ever - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                             Blood and Zombie head goo proof? -NT - (folkert) - (1)
                                                 Yep - (pwhysall)
                                     Yeah, perpetual is the way forward for calendars. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                         Pity that it's a ƒail.. - (Ashton)
                                         Ahh. DST, also too. Clever. - (Another Scott)
                         ✓on both. - (Ashton) - (6)
                             All that said... - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                 We need not swim with them (and everybody knows..) - (Ashton)
                                 My preference - (drook) - (3)
                                     Is that not a Movado knock-off? - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                                         Yeah, about 60% knocked off -NT - (drook) - (1)
                                             So, 40% innovation! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)

This is to prove I can paint like Titian.
125 ms