IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The IBM 7094 was a sweet machine! :)
I used one back around 1963-1965. Also used it's predecessors the vacuum tube based IBM 709 and the transistorized version of it, the IBM 7090.

The 7094 was what would now be called a 500 KHz (yes, kilohertz!!!) machine. But, it had a 36-bit word and all the basic instructions were performed in one cycle.

The standard machine had 32K words of core memory. The address field part of the machine instructions was 15-bits so its nor possible to address more memory. However, MIT paid IBM to have a second bank of 32K word memory with a machine instruction to switch which memory bank was active.

Great times!
Alex
New Lucky you! Got in just when No One Knew.. what was next.
Similarly, I usually assign Osborne1 the kudoes for: jump-starting the *everyone-can-play* computer--via his flat-Right surmise that
bundling some useful software Would Bring in the Adventurous--soonest.

(They might well have trounced Billy and his rich/insider Mom: had they not so foolishly tipped-hand on the Osborne2--with a warehouse full if 1s) ... as in Duh. :-/
It's ALWAYS the unpredictable Error (or next Brilliant Thought) which screws-up everyone's Master-plan-for the "next 5 years"!!

(Movie every half-hour.)

PS: had the pleasure of talking with Lee Felsenstein, its designer; he wanted to buy some Tweek (contact enhancer) after seeing Pournelle's Byte review.
I thanked him for 'my' Osborne1, sent him some extra/wouldn't accept payment. Sometimes ya gets to Thank people, by accident.
New I remember that Osborne financial fiasco well.
Talk about an inventory problem! T'is a shame indeed.

Many people remember that lesson and make sure to "clear the channel" before announcing the next big thing. Now, only discounting signals that a product is about to be replaced.
Alex
     thought someone around here claimed that scientists - (boxley) - (26)
         No True Scotsman? Really? - (Another Scott) - (7)
             Nicely extirpated report vaporizes another slogan.. - (Ashton)
             oh, I like that sentence a lot! - (boxley) - (5)
                 That was 1974. Things have progressed a little since then. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                     Odd that the voice was so primitive, given: - (Ashton) - (3)
                         The IBM 7094 was a sweet machine! :) - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                             Lucky you! Got in just when No One Knew.. what was next. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 I remember that Osborne financial fiasco well. - (a6l6e6x)
         cripes, box - (rcareaga) - (17)
             if I am scoffing in 30 years - (boxley) - (16)
                 It's a tough problem. - (Another Scott) - (14)
                     The S-REX description is best synopsis yet seen - (Ashton)
                     there is a reason they call it an inconvenient truth - (boxley) - (12)
                         Gotcha quotes aren't evidence. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                             Re: Gotcha quotes aren't evidence. - (boxley) - (10)
                                 I'd like to see the quotes in context. - (Another Scott) - (9)
                                     You still don't get it - (Silverlock) - (8)
                                         Kinda-sorta... - (Another Scott) - (7)
                                             waitaminute a few posts ago Ash quoted an article - (boxley) - (6)
                                                 It's not easy to move between threads here... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                     Re: It's not easy to move between threads here... - (boxley)
                                                 >You< could not assimilate ALL-the-data/in every assertion.. - (Ashton) - (3)
                                                     of course not - (boxley) - (2)
                                                         Well then: guess we just watch TV, wait and see. Good plan. -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                             better than burning up 50 years of gdp in 5 years for no - (boxley)
                 Re: if I am scoffing in 30 years - (pwhysall)

Ahh, the good old days when I didn't know how stupid I was.
45 ms