IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Felix: Chart of the day - Reverse Causality Edition
http://blogs.reuters...ausality-edition/

That’s what you’re seeing in the charts. Both of them have the same axes: GDP growth on the y-axis, and debt/GDP on the x-axis. Both of them plot the correlations in the dataset, with the dark line being the signal and the dotted lines showing the 95% confidence interval. And just as in the main dataset, the correlations are much clearer at low levels of debt/GDP than they are at higher levels.

But the two charts are different, all the same, especially at levels of debt/GDP above that 90% level. If you look at the left-hand chart, it shows that it really doesn’t matter how much debt you have: you’re likely to average about 3% GDP growth a year over the next three years. On the other hand, if you look at the right-hand chart, it shows that the more debt you have, you’re significantly more likely to have experienced low growth in the past three years.

In other words, the causation here seems about as clear as causal analysis can ever be: low growth causes high debt, rather than high debt causing low growth. Indeed, once you get past 90% of GDP, your debt load doesn’t seem to have any significant effect on future growth at all!

IOW, R&R got the causality wrong, and ignored the strongest part of their evidence.

Cheers,
Scott.
New It won't matter
Math challenged people will move on to a new piece of paper to pray to and believe in, because they know what is RIGHT, and they KNOW someone will give them their "evidence", sooner or later.
New Re: It won't matter
Just like I seen nut-bags already collude the Boston Marathon Bomb and the Waco Texas Ammonium Nitrate factory explosion as being related. As in:

Oh NOES! The terrierists has gotten us twice in the past few days! WE NEED ATTACK THEM! EFF OFF <INSERT RACIAL OR COUNTRY SLUR>!!1!1!11! YOU ARE DEAD!!!!1!!1!

And those Boston Bombing is related to the Waco Texas Explosion, much the same way the way that Alaska's Temperature gradient matches the Amazon River's water flow through sediment carry. (As in *not*)

You know... meh.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
Expand Edited by folkert April 18, 2013, 09:19:11 AM EDT
New Uh huh...
A fertilizer factory blows up in a state where half the deep thinkers are schnauzers and they need terrorists? Maybe they were thinking of terrierists?
New haha...
You said Deep Thinkers in Texas...
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New Finally: The explanation is found.
Clippy did it.

http://crookedtimber...ducible-research/

Cheers,
Scott.
New And something I can understand! :)
Alex
New Beautiful comment
http://crookedtimber...h/#comment-462277
--

Drew
New ..which leads to Another:
link, a ways down
http://www.ssa.gov/p...ngpapers/wp31.pdf

An indication of JUST HOW mathematically-removed-from Reality IS: virtually every "formula" within the pseudo-science loosely called, Economics.
[Aside/not to speak ill of the departed/maybe some reason why ... I never could get Beep to answer for me, "Just What. Is. It. that ... 'conservatives' want to conserve??]

This paper is a litmus for the 'fact' we see in all related bloviations:
The Sheer Quantity of words.. words.. employed merely to demonstrate the defects within a previous [Language Murder?]
makes the case for placing Econ firmly in the realm of astrology--but without the necessary assist of Owl entrails [for checksum-error calcs. maybe?]

Ed: PS, on another page.. the LRPD always achieves concision VS verbiage ...
It's like reading nadsat, only without the clarity.
--Thou Sayest, GRR

Expand Edited by Ashton April 22, 2013, 03:10:51 PM EDT
     Kwak: How Excel blew up the London Whale. - (Another Scott) - (39)
         Not surprised ... and yes, I worked at a bank -NT - (drook)
         No boggle at all - (crazy) - (5)
             The scale is the boggle. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                 nah, largest phone company in the US - (boxley)
                 Pocket change - (crazy) - (2)
                     Got out just ahead of that - (drook) - (1)
                         I was tossed out about 2 years before the peak - (crazy)
         Excel error blows up the world. - (Another Scott) - (27)
             interesting - (boxley) - (25)
                 Meh. - (Another Scott) - (15)
                     they do go bankrupt when the debt service is 90% of their - (boxley) - (14)
                         And where has that happened? -NT - (Another Scott) - (13)
                             Re: And where has that happened? - (boxley) - (12)
                                 US cities control own currencies? -NT - (Another Scott) - (11)
                                     Of course... in "Bocksley-nation" -NT - (folkert) - (4)
                                         boxleystan - (crazy) - (3)
                                             My favorite stan is musial. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                             Snrk. -NT - (malraux)
                                             hemenahemanahemana - (boxley)
                                     weimar ring a bell? -NT - (boxley) - (5)
                                         Let me know when you have a $1,000,000 bill. -NT - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                             have to wait till I get home where I have a color printer -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                                                 they have them in kentucky - (boxley) - (2)
                                                     Heh. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                     NC -NT - (crazy)
                 Felix: Chart of the day - Reverse Causality Edition - (Another Scott) - (8)
                     It won't matter - (crazy) - (3)
                         Re: It won't matter - (folkert) - (2)
                             Uh huh... - (hnick) - (1)
                                 haha... - (folkert)
                     Finally: The explanation is found. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                         And something I can understand! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                         Beautiful comment - (drook) - (1)
                             ..which leads to Another: - (Ashton)
             Here's Thomas Herndon's paper, and the data files. - (Another Scott)
         it isn't an Excel problem - (lincoln) - (3)
             I think the point is - (jake123) - (2)
                 Because it is taken for Golden... - (folkert) - (1)
                     Any software can give you a polished turd - (lincoln)

DUUude...
64 ms