IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: no they dont

we need people that can weld a seam, cut a 45 degree joint, fit pipe, install and repair AC, sweat pipes, milk, feed and breed cows, fake out emission tests, rebuild motors, starters and transmissions, mix concrete, rivet steel, build furniture, butcher cattle, etc.

Well, unions used to (and to some part, still do) train apprentices to do those things. However, thanks to the anti-union attitude in corporate America these past few decades, there are a lot fewer union people around who have the knowledge and experience to do the training.

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain “Pudd’nhead Wilson’s New Calendar,” 1897
New A union guy taught me to weld and braze.
When I was 18, just out of high school and waiting to be drafted, I was working in car shops. The old man who ran the body shop at a Oldsmobile/Toyota/Mercedes dealership took a liking to me while I was doing undercoat work there. I was bored rigid with what I was doing, so he took me on in the body shop and taught me the old fashioned way of doing body work. I joined the union and they sent me through an apprentice program. I didn't find out until later that being a union guy working for general motors was essential to the war effort and I was unofficially deferred from the draft.
In addition I learned a trade and to weld with electric or gas and straighten frames. It's useless information now since cars don't have frames and are made of plastic and disposable panels, but it was fun at the time.
New FIFY.
s/corporate America/corporate America, the USSC, Congress, the Senate and their ass clown President/
New FYFIFY
s/corporate/Wall\ Street\ overlords\,\ corporate/

Just added the real overlords...
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
     Good speech tonight. - (Another Scott) - (31)
         no they dont - (boxley) - (25)
             well scoenye probably could -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                 I'm still working on the "un" part... -NT - (scoenye)
             A job is only part of life. - (Another Scott) - (18)
                 when was the last time you were on a campus? - (boxley) - (4)
                     There are bad code monkeys, too, but coding is still imp't. -NT - (Another Scott)
                     Yeah, it's BAD - (crazy) - (2)
                         Meh. Same as it ever was. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             I have to tell you... - (folkert)
                 Remember when that was called "Vocational Education"? - (mmoffitt) - (12)
                     what, people wont have to sh*t anymore? - (boxley) - (10)
                         Not my point. - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                             yes, not everyone needs to go to college - (boxley) - (8)
                                 Re: who is going to pay for that? - (a6l6e6x)
                                 College =/= 4 year College. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                     what does the 2 year degree get you - (boxley) - (4)
                                         1000+ hits for "associates degree" on Monster.com. HTH. -NT - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                             1,000+ "Monster Behind" jobs matched your search HTH -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                                 Heh. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                 hey this is fun - (boxley)
                                     BUT! - (mmoffitt)
                     While your summary of 'The Murican Process' sounds paranoid - (Ashton)
             Re: no they dont - (lincoln) - (3)
                 A union guy taught me to weld and braze. - (hnick)
                 FIFY. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                     FYFIFY - (folkert)
         Well, If I can't say something nice, -NT - (hnick) - (4)
             I guess you missed the best part. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 Much better; more like reality. -NT - (hnick)
                 Or did you mean - (Ashton) - (1)
                     A great collection. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)

Oh, you've got an umbrella. You've got a purse.
192 ms