IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The Senator from SC provides the proof.
http://www.washingto...010_09/025880.php

Sen. Jim DeMint warned his colleagues Monday night that he would place a hold on all legislation that has not been "hot-lined" by the chamber or has not been cleared by his office before the close of business Tuesday. [...]

Traditionally, the Senate passes noncontroversial measures by unanimous consent at the end of most workdays, a process known as hot-lining. DeMint, Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) and others have fought against the practice for years and have dedicated staff members to reviewing bills that are to be hot-lined.

As a result, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) have generally given DeMint, Coburn and others time to review legislation before proceeding with unanimous consent agreements.

But in a terse e-mail sent to all 100 Senate chiefs of staff Monday evening, Steering Committee Chief of Staff Bret Bernhardt warned that DeMint would place a hold on any legislation that had not been hot-lined or been cleared by his office before the close of business Tuesday.

Maybe we should have a unicameral national legislature... :-/

Cheers,
Scott.
New he wants to read legislation before passing it? the horror
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New Interesting take. :-/
New If that was really the goal he would offer some lead time
If his goal was really to read everything before it goes to vote, he would offer some reasonable lead time. If he did that, I would support him, far too many bills go through Congress without ever being properly read and reviewed.

What he is actually doing is trying to abuse the rules at the last minute to get in the Democrats way.

Jay
New lets discuss this tactic in january
where every one will be attempting to convince me that this is a sanity check when dems do it
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New Yeah, he just wants to read the bills first.
http://www.washingto...010_09/025900.php

Gail Collins wrote about this the other day, noting that a simple bill clearing the way for the [National Women's History] museum was already [unanimously] approved by the House, but like everything else, is tied up in the Senate. The proposal intends to sell an unused piece of federal land to a private group, which would use private funds to pay fair market value for the land and construction. If financing falls apart, the land property would simply revert back to federal ownership.

[...]

As for DeMint, the religious right told him to intervene.

Abortion politics are also in play: The senators' action came two days after the Concerned Women for America, a conservative group, wrote DeMint asking for a hold. The group's CEO, Penny Nance, wrote in July that the museum would "focus on abortion rights without featuring any of the many contributions of the pro-life movement in America."

Noting the far-right senators' consistent opposition to measures related to women and women's rights, Kate Conway concluded, "The question is not why Senators Coburn and DeMint are blocking this no-brainer of a bill, but rather why we would ever expect a person who has scorned issues like mammograms and recourse for rape victims -- issues so immediate and vital to the well-being of American women -- to think that an institution dedicated to those women would be worthwhile."

I guess only DeMint is standing in the way of abortion factories in museums, or something....

Cheers,
Scott.
New now he is servicing his constituents? the horror!
New How's that work, exactly?
The House doesn't seem to think that constituent service is an issue here.

Cheers,
Scott.
New what, the group isnt bribing the house enough? I dont know
Expand Edited by boxley Sept. 29, 2010, 02:23:35 PM EDT
New So...
the guy who represents one state gets to shaft all the people outside his state who disagree with them?

I can hardly wait to see your reaction if the Dems do the same thing starting in January.

IMHO the cloture rule needs to go... it is bad for democracy.
New In january I will be looking up all of nothers
posts about the horrible stalling tactics, repost under my sig and have a blast watching nother defend them :-)
New its fun.
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
     CSA! CSA! CSA! - (Another Scott) - (34)
         Not to far from the mark. - (folkert)
         +5: Admirable Concision - (Ashton)
         a little broad? is bridgitte a midget? - (boxley) - (11)
             I guess the Confederates should have won, then? -NT - (Another Scott) - (10)
                 didnt happen did it - (boxley) - (9)
                     Yeah, it was a just and glorious cause. Not. - (Another Scott) - (8)
                         Yeah, it was a just and glorious cause. Not. - (boxley) - (7)
                             Great site, there. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                 secession is not aggression - (boxley) - (5)
                                     So lemme get this straight - (jb4) - (4)
                                         NO NO NO... - (folkert) - (1)
                                             didnt know you were such a gw bush fan - (boxley)
                                         nope slavery was a side issue - (boxley)
                                         if it was slavery why wait till 1865 to free the slaves in - (boxley)
         Dennis G. continues... - (Another Scott) - (18)
             I have to agree. - (folkert) - (12)
                 The Senator from SC provides the proof. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                     he wants to read legislation before passing it? the horror -NT - (boxley) - (10)
                         Interesting take. :-/ -NT - (Another Scott)
                         If that was really the goal he would offer some lead time - (jay) - (1)
                             lets discuss this tactic in january - (boxley)
                         Yeah, he just wants to read the bills first. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                             now he is servicing his constituents? the horror! -NT - (boxley) - (5)
                                 How's that work, exactly? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     what, the group isnt bribing the house enough? I dont know -NT - (boxley)
                                 So... - (jake123) - (2)
                                     In january I will be looking up all of nothers - (boxley) - (1)
                                         its fun. -NT - (beepster)
             I have a little violin for this tard - (boxley)
             btw still dont see any response - (boxley) - (3)
                 "I'm done - you can have the last word." HTH. -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     Okay, bothers you when the north loved slavery doesnt it :-) -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                         Heh. Nice try. -NT - (Another Scott)
         like the comments - (boxley)

Our job is to take as much of the beer flavor out of the water as we can without getting a customer revolt.
77 ms