IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New On rancidity
I had a reader claim that pomace is already rancid, due to the heat used in processing. And like with most product health claims, I can find either industry-supported research, or screaming opposition, and little else in-between.
--

Drew
New Re: On rancidity
Yes, it's been heated, but not to frying temperatures - and olive oil is very resistant to rancidity due to both its oil profile (low in polyunsaturtes) and its antioxidant content.

Products of rancidity can usually be tasted. That's why the fast food industry couldn't use soy or corn oil, not because it might slowly kill people. After just several hours of frying the product tasted really bad. Beef tallow could be used for a month before the flavor went off.
New yeah, I been trying to get some beef tallow
New That one's actually easy for me
The West Side Market has about a dozen or so butchers. At least half of them do their own cutting. (The rest are specialty stuff, like bison, buffalo, etc.) They almost always have big bags of tallow off the the side, ready to be rendered.
--

Drew
New made fries in it yet? mmmmmm
     great, now I get to share the loading doc with fat bastards - (boxley) - (37)
         Slip sliding away... -NT - (beepster)
         But ya know... - (folkert) - (33)
             It's not just about education - (drook) - (2)
                 Careful drook - (beepster)
                 Truth to that! - (folkert)
             It's starting to bite Down Under, too. - (static) - (29)
                 And, of course, no mention that canola oil original name was - (a6l6e6x)
                 butter, margarine - (rcareaga) - (5)
                     I use margarine for 2 things - (boxley)
                     Okay, I'll admit... - (folkert)
                     Memorieeeeeees... - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         When I was a child . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                             Butter for me, preferably. - (static)
                 Margarine == transfats - (crazy) - (21)
                     Agreed, completely - (jake123) - (20)
                         No good? But how could it be . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (19)
                             Question on pomace - (drook) - (18)
                                 I like grapeseed oil for the high temperature stuff - (jake123) - (10)
                                     Re: I like grapeseed oil for the high temperature stuff - (Andrew Grygus) - (9)
                                         Well, I don't really use oil more than once for much of - (jake123) - (8)
                                             Lard is good - but beef tallow is the gold standard . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                                                 Actually, I make it - (jake123) - (6)
                                                     Re: Actually, I make it - (folkert) - (5)
                                                         Ah - (jake123) - (4)
                                                             You don't even need to freeze it - (drook) - (3)
                                                                 That would make for a turgid sausage. -NT - (jake123) - (2)
                                                                     I'm not gonna touch that one -NT - (drook) - (1)
                                                                         Glad you liked it! :D -NT - (jake123)
                                 Re: Question on pomace - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                                     On rancidity - (drook) - (5)
                                         Re: On rancidity - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                                             yeah, I been trying to get some beef tallow -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                                                 That one's actually easy for me - (drook) - (2)
                                                     made fries in it yet? mmmmmm -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                         Yup - (drook)
         Loading Doc . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             Re: Loading Doc . . . google michael jackson :-) -NT - (boxley)

Kinda I want to.
64 ms