IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Question on pomace
I've had several people challenge me on pomace. They point to 1) "heavily processed" food, just like vegetable oil and other corn products, and 2) the solvents sometimes used in the process.

My simplisitic answer is that even if it's processed, it starts from olive oil, which is still better than anything coming from corn, soy or rapeseed (aka conola). Have you seen any good references to relative health/quality of olive pomace as compared to either extra virgin olive, or to other vegetable or seed oils?
--

Drew
New I like grapeseed oil for the high temperature stuff
and olive oil for the rest of it.
New Re: I like grapeseed oil for the high temperature stuff
Grapeseed goes to very high temperatures which is good. It is very high in polyunsaturates but that's not as bad as you'd think because it is also fairly high antioxidants which serves to protect it.

I'd tend to consider it a "use once" oil though. I'd also look at rice bran oil which goes to even a bit higher and has an oil profile almost the same as peanut oil, but it's probably not available regularly or economically in most of North America.
New Well, I don't really use oil more than once for much of
anything. Don't do a lot of deep frying here, and if I did, I'd probably be using lard.
New Lard is good - but beef tallow is the gold standard . . .
. . for deep frying. Higher temperature, lower oxidation number (only coconut oil is lower).

Incidentally, when frying something that's a "stick to the pan" problem, I'll use lard. It seems to keep things from sticking much better than other oils and fats.
New Actually, I make it
What is it when you get beef fat from the butcher and warm it up on the stove and filter out the solid bits? We call it lard ... but we're not experts.
New Re: Actually, I make it
Lard == Rendered Pork Fat (best is Leaf Lard)
Tallow == Rendered Beef Fat (Suet) (Best is Suet from around the cows organs)

So based on what you just typed, its Tallow you are making.
New Ah
Well, actually, I've made both. That said, I prolly need to make some more again... stuff works well when you freeze it; you can keep that shit around forever.
New You don't even need to freeze it
I've seen recipes for preserving sausages that say to put them in a jar and cover with melted lard or bacon grease. (Don't even need a lid.) Store it somewhere cool enough that the fat solidifies, and it will last indefinitely.
--

Drew
New That would make for a turgid sausage.
New I'm not gonna touch that one
--

Drew
New Glad you liked it! :D
New Re: Question on pomace
Yes, it is an oil extracted with solvents. It is then heated to drive off most of the solvents (which are recovered) and then further refined to remove remaining solvents and natural but undesirable substances. It is, however, not as "processed" as most seed oils which go through a number of steps, some of which may involve high temperatures and chemicals, to extract them and make them edible.

Pomace does have exactly the same healthy oil profile as other grades of olive oil because the oil itself is not modified. It may be blended with other grades of olive oil to adjust flavor.

There is no unrefined oil that is suitable for high temperature frying, so pomace, while not ideal, is a lot better than most.

The health and oxidation profiles can be derived from any comparative composition chart, such as mine: http://www.clovegard...red/oilchart.html

Note particularly the oxidation number. Oils with a high oxidation number quickly become rancid when heated to even moderate temperatures, and some products of rancidity are carcinogenic.

Oils heated beyond their smoke point will also produce carcinogens so you want to stay well below that point.
New On rancidity
I had a reader claim that pomace is already rancid, due to the heat used in processing. And like with most product health claims, I can find either industry-supported research, or screaming opposition, and little else in-between.
--

Drew
New Re: On rancidity
Yes, it's been heated, but not to frying temperatures - and olive oil is very resistant to rancidity due to both its oil profile (low in polyunsaturtes) and its antioxidant content.

Products of rancidity can usually be tasted. That's why the fast food industry couldn't use soy or corn oil, not because it might slowly kill people. After just several hours of frying the product tasted really bad. Beef tallow could be used for a month before the flavor went off.
New yeah, I been trying to get some beef tallow
New That one's actually easy for me
The West Side Market has about a dozen or so butchers. At least half of them do their own cutting. (The rest are specialty stuff, like bison, buffalo, etc.) They almost always have big bags of tallow off the the side, ready to be rendered.
--

Drew
New made fries in it yet? mmmmmm
     great, now I get to share the loading doc with fat bastards - (boxley) - (37)
         Slip sliding away... -NT - (beepster)
         But ya know... - (folkert) - (33)
             It's not just about education - (drook) - (2)
                 Careful drook - (beepster)
                 Truth to that! - (folkert)
             It's starting to bite Down Under, too. - (static) - (29)
                 And, of course, no mention that canola oil original name was - (a6l6e6x)
                 butter, margarine - (rcareaga) - (5)
                     I use margarine for 2 things - (boxley)
                     Okay, I'll admit... - (folkert)
                     Memorieeeeeees... - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         When I was a child . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                             Butter for me, preferably. - (static)
                 Margarine == transfats - (crazy) - (21)
                     Agreed, completely - (jake123) - (20)
                         No good? But how could it be . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (19)
                             Question on pomace - (drook) - (18)
                                 I like grapeseed oil for the high temperature stuff - (jake123) - (10)
                                     Re: I like grapeseed oil for the high temperature stuff - (Andrew Grygus) - (9)
                                         Well, I don't really use oil more than once for much of - (jake123) - (8)
                                             Lard is good - but beef tallow is the gold standard . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                                                 Actually, I make it - (jake123) - (6)
                                                     Re: Actually, I make it - (folkert) - (5)
                                                         Ah - (jake123) - (4)
                                                             You don't even need to freeze it - (drook) - (3)
                                                                 That would make for a turgid sausage. -NT - (jake123) - (2)
                                                                     I'm not gonna touch that one -NT - (drook) - (1)
                                                                         Glad you liked it! :D -NT - (jake123)
                                 Re: Question on pomace - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                                     On rancidity - (drook) - (5)
                                         Re: On rancidity - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                                             yeah, I been trying to get some beef tallow -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                                                 That one's actually easy for me - (drook) - (2)
                                                     made fries in it yet? mmmmmm -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                         Yup - (drook)
         Loading Doc . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             Re: Loading Doc . . . google michael jackson :-) -NT - (boxley)

If I wanted conversations like that, I'd talk to my girlfriend on the phone.
85 ms