IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New 'Left' then responds to 'Right'-eousness-cha-cha-cha
All along . . .
It's understandable that you have to eat your own dogfood, somehow justify daily congress with the Suits.. in order to climb that same ladder with the peculiarly shaped/greased rungs.. (Why, if'n you Noticed rilly-close the %lying that attends that entire process, the nearby corners stuffed with folk already way above that there level-of-incompetence thing -- why, in time the neurons just might cut off that supply of endorphins / substituting a gag-reflex.)
It happens, I hear - and Soma doesn't seem to reduce the symptoms.

But your unremitting slander of those who work daily in an arena where Advertainment is NOT their raison'd, all while selecting your Econ-data to suggest that Profit is the only carrot which produces results: betrays merely a well-conditioned mindset, the adoring of a crass Machiavellian idol along with whatever other things reside in that personal Idol box.

While the ills of any bureaucracy demand as much vigilance to control normal human cupidity as that wasted on: Next Quarter's {imaginary, ever-increasing} Profit-number - - we have seen perhaps the Last Time that Bizness actually collaborated for the National Good: When Mr. Douglas succeeded in convincing all the aircraft manufacturers to
:-0 :-0 :-0

Immediately Share [!!] their patents, designs, methods, for National survival.
This, in one of the most 'competitive' arenas extant. ('Course too.. FDR could speak English, when he met with Douglas et al, prior to the formation of this 'Agency', created for the Duration of WWII.)

And then there's Halliburton, but also smiling Berkshire Hathaway -personified. Thus all generalizations remain false - including yours about the possibilities of sane government oversight (as practised, apparently - in many locales. Just not Murican locales.)

We be a nation of Retards, then? Hey - you're a Peer. Then.

:-/
;^>
___

New Until the rules change to the ones you like
I will continue to play by the ones that currently exist.

I'll leave the revolution to mmoffitt.
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New That reeks of "Love it or Leave it."
In a corrupt system then, merely playing by the corrupt rules to "get ahead" does not, in and of itself, leave one tarnished? Please.

[Edit: Tpyo]
bcnu,
Mikem

Microsoft Vista. The best reason ever to buy a Mac.
Expand Edited by mmoffitt July 16, 2007, 12:51:10 PM EDT
Expand Edited by mmoffitt July 17, 2007, 12:49:48 PM EDT
New Not even close
I simply choose not to wander around blissfully ignorant of reality.

YMMV
New Condemning something != Not seeing it. HTH.
bcnu,
Mikem

New Willful ignorance != Condemnation. HTH
New Careful with that word "willful".
Willful Blindness to the ill effects of "working within the system" is demonstrably worse than willful ignorance. It's not so much that those of us who chose not to be cheerleaders for corporate power don't understand that it, by and large, has significantly more influence on how all peoples live. It is that we understand it and try to work against it. You see, Beep, not all of us are so impressed with "the trains running on time."
bcnu,
Mikem

New You simply don't get it, do you?
You are taking a values discussion and imposing it on everyone, thinking that those with differing values are "corrupt", or "criminal". You then use that as a stick to try and beat down those who disagree with you.

I don't have to agree with the current situation (the "status quo") to understand, though, that it is INDEED the "way things work". Like it or not, those are the rules...and until those rules change they remain the framework of "how things get done". Following the rules is NOT "corrupt" or "criminal". It is the >expectation< in civilized society.

This is a completely separate discussion from "how things ought to be" and/or "what is right/wrong" and "how do we fix it?" generated from this.

You see, to me, ignoring what is and demanding of everyone the unrealistic expectation of "you need to do things according to how I think they should be" is a pretty darned good example of willful ignorance.

Corporations are not going away any time soon. And for all of the perceived weaknesses of the current system, nearly all here owe their very survival to the fact that they exist as a going concern.

Its obvious you don't like that. Its also obvious that my recognition of this causes some people problems...and they feel compelled to make some type of value judgment from this without actually understanding anything about the real values involved. Thats not my problem at all, but theirs.

If you don't like it, offer an alternative and a plan to get there. "I don't like it" doesn't fix anything. It also ignores the basic fact that there are just as many people out there that >do< like it.
Expand Edited by bepatient July 17, 2007, 01:14:11 PM EDT
New thats not ignorance
You see, to me, ignoring what is and demanding of everyone the unrealistic expectation of "you need to do things according to how I think they should be" is a pretty darned good example
of burgoise communism
thanx,
bill
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New Possible
but he may like that phrasing:-p
New Well, as long as you're not trying to ...
make the world a better place or anything.
bcnu,
Mikem

New Making it "better" tm
One, "better" according to whom?

And two, base assumption of your statement is that I'm not an advocate of change. I don't like income taxes in current form and support flat tax. Should I assume that the IRS will just giggle and play along when I file according to my >belief< or should I follow the procedures set forth and work through other venues to make my belief the rule? Should I ignore the current process and all the available deductions and loopholes because I don't >like< the system in place?

In your view, that would make me "good". In my view, that is simply unwise.

Its not an either/or.

New My point is your position == Complicity.
And if your values are not exemplified by the status quo, why defend those values? Each of us has "played the game" to some extent. It's just that some of us have a bad taste in our mouths after doing so. And we *only* do so to the extent necessary and we rarely (if ever) expound upon the virtues of our efforts in playing the game. That's what I take issue with. Your almost knee-jerk reaction to defend any atrocity committed by big bizness with your rationale typically being the insufficient, "I live in the real world." Just by saying that you are not an advocate for change. On the contrary, you are defender of the corporate muck.
bcnu,
Mikem

New Keep jumping...maybe one day your conclusion will be right.
The knee-jerking is certainly not mine. Your knee-jerking has me defending insurance companies when I've directly stated they are a problem.

You knee-jerked a conversation about Moore being a whiner into defense of the US healthcare industry.

The fact that I don't blindly adhere to handing the system over to the government that can't get ANYTHING right somehow makes me a defender of the status quo.

Please, tell me what my next position is because you and other seem more than happy to invent them for me.

New Not to wreck your ideas of wreaking, but usually it's havoc.
That you wreak, I mean.

One hardly ever hears about anyone wreaking anything but havoc nowadays.

Well, death.

And destruction.

You can wreak death and destruction upon your enemies, too, in addition to wreaking havoc upon them.

(Scorn, though, you don't wreak but heap upon them.)

But when something smells to high heaven -- like BeeP's politics, for instance -- we usually say it reeks.

HTH!

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Ah, the Germans: Masters of Convoluted Simplification. — [link|http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1603|Jehovah]
New Post of the Day!
New Damn. I know better than that. Thanks. It did H.
bcnu,
Mikem

New Yep
understanding how the planet works makes me evil! Evil I tell you..

Thats the brimstone you're smelling.
New Re: the brimstone, but OT.
Speaking of fire and brimstone, how is your hand doing? The one hurt during the fireworks display.
Alex

Nobody has a more sacred obligation to obey the law than those who make the law. -- Sophocles (496? - 406 BCE)
New :-) Fine thanks
Blisters drained and largely healed.
New Yikes.
Didn't know you were injured. Glad to hear you're feeling better.
bcnu,
Mikem

New All minor
I got away without any major mishaps on the grill only to get flash burns on the hands from the fireworks.

Its all part of the fun :-)
New Re: part of the fun :-) ???
Are you a closet masochist?

Seriously, I'm sorry you were hurt more than I thought I overheard at the time.
Alex

Nobody has a more sacred obligation to obey the law than those who make the law. -- Sophocles (496? - 406 BCE)
New Just a few blisters
one or 2 bigger than the others. Not a big deal really.

After the first one I could have switched lighters and/or lighting methods...but when "in the moment"...only hurt for a day or 2.
     Price of gas up 50 cents today... - (jb4) - (54)
         After some thought, I think it ought to be $5.50/gallon. - (mmoffitt) - (53)
             you mean like they did with the cigarette tax settlements? - (boxley)
             Add treatment of lung related diseases too. - (a6l6e6x) - (46)
                 Environmental Impact Statements. Great idea! - (mmoffitt)
                 See above...big tobacco paid for that already :-/ -NT - (bepatient) - (44)
                     His point stands. - (mmoffitt) - (43)
                         I understand all that... - (bepatient) - (42)
                             Well, fixing the systemic problems in your country's - (jake123) - (41)
                                 How so exactly? - (bepatient) - (40)
                                     That when they get an excuse to collect some kind of - (jake123) - (11)
                                         OK..misunderstanding of terms - (bepatient) - (10)
                                             Well, in my mind I'm nailing both - (jake123) - (9)
                                                 Partial answer. - (mmoffitt) - (8)
                                                     not the right one either. - (bepatient) - (7)
                                                         That last statement's problematic - (jake123) - (2)
                                                             As you are so fond of noticing - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                 It won't take "blowing up everything". - (mmoffitt)
                                                         by and large B.S. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                             well I would hardly class those - (bepatient)
                                                         You have a nice dentist. - (hnick) - (1)
                                                             She's in plan - (bepatient)
                                     Not that I understand *exactly*, in detail, WTF you're on... - (CRConrad) - (27)
                                         We could certainly - (bepatient) - (26)
                                             WTF do fossil fuels and China have to do with anything??? - (CRConrad) - (25)
                                                 Why don't you actually read the thread? Or do you enjoy - (bepatient) - (24)
                                                     'Left' then responds to 'Right'-eousness-cha-cha-cha - (Ashton) - (23)
                                                         Until the rules change to the ones you like - (bepatient) - (22)
                                                             That reeks of "Love it or Leave it." - (mmoffitt) - (21)
                                                                 Not even close - (bepatient) - (10)
                                                                     Condemning something != Not seeing it. HTH. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                                                                         Willful ignorance != Condemnation. HTH -NT - (bepatient) - (8)
                                                                             Careful with that word "willful". - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                                                                 You simply don't get it, do you? - (bepatient) - (6)
                                                                                     thats not ignorance - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                         Possible - (bepatient)
                                                                                     Well, as long as you're not trying to ... - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                                                         Making it "better" tm - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                             My point is your position == Complicity. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                                                 Keep jumping...maybe one day your conclusion will be right. - (bepatient)
                                                                 Not to wreck your ideas of wreaking, but usually it's havoc. - (CRConrad) - (9)
                                                                     Post of the Day! -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                                     Damn. I know better than that. Thanks. It did H. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                                     Yep - (bepatient) - (6)
                                                                         Re: the brimstone, but OT. - (a6l6e6x) - (5)
                                                                             :-) Fine thanks - (bepatient) - (4)
                                                                                 Yikes. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                                                     All minor - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                         Re: part of the fun :-) ??? - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                                                                             Just a few blisters - (bepatient)
             Dude. Read "The Long Emergency". - (inthane-chan) - (4)
                 They've got Cliff notes for Idiots Guides?? - (hnick) - (3)
                     Point being... - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                         Sure, though I take a yes/no view of it. - (hnick) - (1)
                             Violent revolution. - (mmoffitt)

If you realize that this is the result of 35 years of continuous development across a wide range of compute platforms, there's a certain sense to it. It's internally consistent with its development history. Not that it doesn't suck.
141 ms