IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Dude. Read "The Long Emergency".
Cliff notes version: We're fucked.

Longer version: When the oil runs out, we're fucked.
Odoru aho ni miru aho!
Onaji aho nara odoranya son son!
New They've got Cliff notes for Idiots Guides??
I'm assuming that it's an Idiots Guide to the future you're discussing since your summation is pretty much "DUH!".
New Point being...
...alternative energy sources are not going to save our collective asses. We're looking down the barrel of a howitzer, and the guy on the other end has a itchy trigger finger. Our agricultural "miracle" is dependent on cheap oil, our economy is based on cheap oil, the global market is based on cheap oil - and when that runs out, there's pretty much nothing we can do about it. Even the biomass processors depend on oil-based agriculture to provide enough waste input to recover some of the energy that is used in producing the main product.

It's one hell of a depressing book.
Odoru aho ni miru aho!
Onaji aho nara odoranya son son!
New Sure, though I take a yes/no view of it.
The alternative energy sources now being touted are based on previous economy. They drag along all the existing problems while only putting off the imminent crisis.

If our society is to survive, it will have to change. There is where the fun part hangs out. Will it take a violent revolution or can we change to a more reasonable system that will let us carry on for a while longer? Damnifiknow. As a society, we are becoming a LOT more dumbed down, and we may be losing the capacity to react in society's best interest. In which case, as you say, we're fucked. On the other paw, if we still have some real leadership and working brains still allowed to function, we might pull it off.

We can always die. Individually or as a society. I haven't lost yet, betting that I'm going to survive until tomorrow... YMMV
New Violent revolution.
The 21st century is the century of the vindication of Marxist doctrine, dontchaknow. ;0)
bcnu,
Mikem

Microsoft Vista. The best reason ever to buy a Mac.
     Price of gas up 50 cents today... - (jb4) - (54)
         After some thought, I think it ought to be $5.50/gallon. - (mmoffitt) - (53)
             you mean like they did with the cigarette tax settlements? - (boxley)
             Add treatment of lung related diseases too. - (a6l6e6x) - (46)
                 Environmental Impact Statements. Great idea! - (mmoffitt)
                 See above...big tobacco paid for that already :-/ -NT - (bepatient) - (44)
                     His point stands. - (mmoffitt) - (43)
                         I understand all that... - (bepatient) - (42)
                             Well, fixing the systemic problems in your country's - (jake123) - (41)
                                 How so exactly? - (bepatient) - (40)
                                     That when they get an excuse to collect some kind of - (jake123) - (11)
                                         OK..misunderstanding of terms - (bepatient) - (10)
                                             Well, in my mind I'm nailing both - (jake123) - (9)
                                                 Partial answer. - (mmoffitt) - (8)
                                                     not the right one either. - (bepatient) - (7)
                                                         That last statement's problematic - (jake123) - (2)
                                                             As you are so fond of noticing - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                 It won't take "blowing up everything". - (mmoffitt)
                                                         by and large B.S. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                             well I would hardly class those - (bepatient)
                                                         You have a nice dentist. - (hnick) - (1)
                                                             She's in plan - (bepatient)
                                     Not that I understand *exactly*, in detail, WTF you're on... - (CRConrad) - (27)
                                         We could certainly - (bepatient) - (26)
                                             WTF do fossil fuels and China have to do with anything??? - (CRConrad) - (25)
                                                 Why don't you actually read the thread? Or do you enjoy - (bepatient) - (24)
                                                     'Left' then responds to 'Right'-eousness-cha-cha-cha - (Ashton) - (23)
                                                         Until the rules change to the ones you like - (bepatient) - (22)
                                                             That reeks of "Love it or Leave it." - (mmoffitt) - (21)
                                                                 Not even close - (bepatient) - (10)
                                                                     Condemning something != Not seeing it. HTH. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                                                                         Willful ignorance != Condemnation. HTH -NT - (bepatient) - (8)
                                                                             Careful with that word "willful". - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                                                                 You simply don't get it, do you? - (bepatient) - (6)
                                                                                     thats not ignorance - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                         Possible - (bepatient)
                                                                                     Well, as long as you're not trying to ... - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                                                         Making it "better" tm - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                             My point is your position == Complicity. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                                                 Keep jumping...maybe one day your conclusion will be right. - (bepatient)
                                                                 Not to wreck your ideas of wreaking, but usually it's havoc. - (CRConrad) - (9)
                                                                     Post of the Day! -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                                     Damn. I know better than that. Thanks. It did H. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                                     Yep - (bepatient) - (6)
                                                                         Re: the brimstone, but OT. - (a6l6e6x) - (5)
                                                                             :-) Fine thanks - (bepatient) - (4)
                                                                                 Yikes. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                                                     All minor - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                         Re: part of the fun :-) ??? - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                                                                             Just a few blisters - (bepatient)
             Dude. Read "The Long Emergency". - (inthane-chan) - (4)
                 They've got Cliff notes for Idiots Guides?? - (hnick) - (3)
                     Point being... - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                         Sure, though I take a yes/no view of it. - (hnick) - (1)
                             Violent revolution. - (mmoffitt)

That tastes like Crab Juice!
251 ms