IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Plausible deniability
Bill, I think what's happening is that people "know" that when Rove asks a question, it's not just a question. Same as when Hillary "fired" the travel staff. There are people who don't technically have any legal authority behind what they're asking, but they seem to get their way.

In this specific case, it may very well be true that Rove was simply asking for information. But in a culture where people wield influence that goes beyond their job description, where orders are passed by implication, and everyone likes it that way[1], you can no more prove who didn't order something than you can prove who did.

[1] I'm not talking about this administration. I'm talking about the whole Beltway world.
===

Kip Hawley is still an idiot.

===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New Yup.
My impression is that much more is going on than is stated explicitly in the e-mails. Things don't usually percolate in big organizations for nearly 2 years without someone pushing it.

Harriet Miers doesn't seem to me to be a person who would be pushing these things - she strikes me as someone who does what she's asked. Who asked? Well, who stood to benefit from the changes? Friends of Karl, perhaps? People worried about losing the House and Senate in close races, perhaps?

IOW, the need to follow the trail wherever it leads. Don't, at this point, accept that it was Miers and Samson's fault because they were freelancing (or something).

Cheers,
Scott.
New This is exactly what starts it
ppl read the headline. Don't read the emails. Don't apply it to everyday in a HUGE org.

A suggesting is made..and by all accounts it was made by Harriet...but it could have been anyone considering they were just getting started with 2nd term, that they do a second term purge. Most don't like the idea..ask for alternatives.

One of the leaders and assistants to the Pres (KR) checks on status by poking his head in a door. Lacky shoots off an email saying "bossman stopped by and asked"

And what was the headline?

"Karl Rove Was Involved in Firing of Attorneys, Email Shows"

'Rove was in the middle of this mess'

Its Rove...so its SCANDAL.
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New Isn't it *also* possible
Rove is an un-elected political operative. As such he has no legal authority in anything. But people quickly learn that he has the backing of the president and other powerful administration officials. Eventually, his "requests" are little different from "orders" except without the accountability.

People who understand the way Washington works know to only document the things that make them look good, or cover their own asses. As long as no one can prove who was behind something, no one can ever be held to account for it. Washington has worked this way for a long time before the current crew came to power.

So like I said, it's possible that you're absolutely right, and that Rove had nothing to do with it. But do you really believe it couldn't have happened the other way?
===

===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
New On this matter
if I were to give odds...99.9 to .1 that Rove initiated this. >thats< how unlikely I think it is.

I certainly think he knew...it was a term change, he's a key advisor on the President's staff...and as such I would expect him, as part of his JOB, to follow up on key initiatives in each of the big exec branches, including Justice.

I would also certainly EXPECT cronyism and a suggesting to the folks doing the replacing that "I have a friend"...and yes..I would expect the lacky to consider this important to act on..since Karl is pretty close to the boss.

However, I believe with near certainty that is the complete extent of his involvement.

He asked the question. Now we have a week of press coverage of him doing his job. (but its a SCANDAL).

Starting to make me pine for more coverage of Anna Nicole.

Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New Shut your mouth
Nothing should make you pine for more coverage of her.
===

===

New Miers did not start it
From what I have seen in the coverage her suggestion to fire them all was made in Feb 2005. The start of the mess goes back to at least Jan 2005.

For the last 6 years Rove has been intimately involved in policy and politics. One of his former employees gets a district in Arkansas and all he did was poke his head in the door? That is BS.

I don't know if he started it, but he was involved in it. I would guess his goal in being involved with this was related to the 2006 elections and the voting demographics. I do believe that 'voter fraud' gets translated to keeping republican voters voting and derailing non-republican voters by state and local republicans and Rove knows this.
Seamus
     "They did it too" only works if, ya know, they did it too - (Silverlock) - (77)
         Please point me to something... - (bepatient) - (71)
             Re: Please point me to something... - (Seamus) - (2)
                 So now ppl in Washington can't read - (bepatient) - (1)
                     Re: So now ppl in Washington can't read - (Seamus)
             I already said that he has the legal authority. - (Silverlock) - (4)
                 Who lied about it? Prez? Gonzo? - (bepatient) - (3)
                     You should learn more about what you are defending. -NT - (Silverlock) - (2)
                         You should learn to clarify use of pronouns -NT - (bepatient) - (1)
                             And I was incorrect. - (bepatient)
             I'm lost.... - (Simon_Jester) - (61)
                 nit - (boxley) - (58)
                     Nope... - (Simon_Jester) - (57)
                         Point missed - (bepatient) - (56)
                             I don't think so. - (Simon_Jester) - (55)
                                 bingo - (boxley)
                                 Hillary did it and had no authority - (bepatient) - (53)
                                     Then who let her? - (drewk) - (22)
                                         Thats why they call it TravelGate. - (bepatient) - (19)
                                             And Rove gave the order, and it was followed. - (jb4) - (18)
                                                 No, he didn't. And there's sworn testimony that >she< did. -NT - (bepatient) - (17)
                                                     Which, of course, they're frantically backpeddaling on. - (jb4) - (2)
                                                         Who is backpedaling on what. - (bepatient)
                                                         You're forgetting the other part of the analogy .... - (Simon_Jester)
                                                     Sworn testimony from this crowd - (Silverlock) - (13)
                                                         Look it up yourself if you must - (bepatient) - (12)
                                                             Missed point - (Silverlock) - (11)
                                                                 Make me laugh - (bepatient) - (10)
                                                                     Then why do you get upset when they get called on it? -NT - (Another Scott) - (9)
                                                                         Huh? - (bepatient) - (8)
                                                                             real governing - (Seamus) - (7)
                                                                                 Pessimist, remember? - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                     What kind of pessimist? - (Seamus) - (1)
                                                                                         Like what? - (bepatient)
                                                                                 Wouldn't be surprised if that provision was added in conf. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                                                     Wow, you're a genius! - (drewk) - (2)
                                                                                         You can call me "Mr. Obvious" if you'd like. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                             ICLRPD (new thread) - (Silverlock)
                                         pro/con link - (boxley) - (1)
                                             If that page is basically accurate ... - (drewk)
                                     Re: Hillary did it and had no authority - (Seamus) - (29)
                                         What emails are you talking about? - (bepatient) - (28)
                                             Copy of email - (bepatient) - (26)
                                                 Plausible deniability - (drewk) - (6)
                                                     Yup. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                                         This is exactly what starts it - (bepatient) - (4)
                                                             Isn't it *also* possible - (drewk) - (2)
                                                                 On this matter - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                     Shut your mouth - (drewk)
                                                             Miers did not start it - (Seamus)
                                                 E-Mails show Rove's Role in Attorny Firings - (lincoln) - (3)
                                                     They don't show that at all. Thats why I attached the email. -NT - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                         You must have better sources than ABC News, right? - (lincoln) - (1)
                                                             I guess I do. - (bepatient)
                                                 Rove was the person people were looking to ok this - (Seamus) - (14)
                                                     BS - (bepatient) - (13)
                                                         It is not BS - (Seamus) - (12)
                                                             Guesswork, guesswork and more guesswork - (bepatient) - (11)
                                                                 If I was a reporter - (Seamus) - (10)
                                                                     Define "involved" - (bepatient) - (9)
                                                                         like this - (Seamus) - (6)
                                                                             then no. - (bepatient) - (5)
                                                                                 We may know more next week. - (Another Scott)
                                                                                 Can you point me to the scathing email - (Seamus) - (3)
                                                                                     So now you agree with me? - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                         No I don't - (Seamus)
                                                                                         If not Rove, who *did* push it? -NT - (drewk)
                                                                         is /iz/ - verb - (jb4) - (1)
                                                                             It'd be funny if it wasn't sad. -NT - (bepatient)
                                             They are already backtracking on Harriet - (JayMehaffey)
                 Tradition - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
                     I think this is the section of the renewed Patriot Act. - (Another Scott)
             Welcome to the fight, comrade. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Dan Froomkin says don't be distracted, keep an eye on Rove. - (Another Scott) - (4)
             Thats right. Hear the bells? - (bepatient) - (3)
                 We'll see. -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     hell of a guy! :-) -NT - (bepatient) - (1)
                         No, You Are! - (Another Scott)

Maybe this is what seafood will do in a thousand years.
105 ms