IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Some About:Config tweaks for memory usage in FF.
[link|http://techpatterns.com/forums/about623.html|TechPatterns] has some tips and a link to a Mozillazine thread about it.

I suspect in my case it's related to at least a few things:

I have Session Manager and Crash Recovery in TabMixPlus enabled. They have to know what to restore after shutdown, so they must keep a current picture of the current tabs somewhere. Since many of my tabs auto-refresh whether I want them to or not (various newspapers, etc.), it seems reasonable that that's a big part of the increasing memory usage. (I would think the code would be smart enough to overwrite the previous tab cache though.)

I'm a big fan of TMP, SM and CR so I don't know if I'm willing to make the trade-off of turning off those features for a smaller footprint.

I'll have to check my settings for A:C and see if that makes a difference as well.

In short, FF may be working as designed when my combination of extensions and settings are used. :-/

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Don't see much of a memory problem on OS/2, but.....
... what I have seen the most of is increasing CPU usage if I leave it running all the time. This usually happens after I start get moments of CPU hogging, bogging the entire system down at times.

When I first start FF, CPU usage is typically about 10%. After several hours of leaving it running, I will start to see CPU usage creep up until it gets to as high as 75%. That's when the entire system becomes sluggish, with momentary spikes of 100% CPU usage. #7 on that list of hints given in the quoted section ("Once in a while, close the browser completely and re-open it."), is usually the cure for this.
Expand Edited by n3jja March 16, 2007, 04:42:48 PM EDT
     Memory leaks in Firefox 2.0.0.2 and Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 - (Another Scott) - (20)
         Re: Memory leaks in Firefox 2.0.0.2 and Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 - (Yendor) - (3)
             Thanks. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 Any plugins? -NT - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                     Only Talkback in TB, several in FF. - (Another Scott)
         I'm rapidly growing annoyed at FF - (tuberculosis) - (13)
             It sucks. - (pwhysall) - (12)
                 There's the deal-maker right there - (drewk)
                 Camino sucks worse than FF. - (admin) - (10)
                     That raises the question - (jake123) - (6)
                         Good point - (drewk)
                         The difference is... - (admin) - (4)
                             Why would you get called by the FCC? - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                 It's a joke. It doesn't need to be true. - (admin) - (2)
                                     Frogs now? I thought we were still on donkeys. -NT - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                         ICLRPD. (new thread) - (static)
                     Perhaps, but put FF and Safari side by side - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                         I'll try it on my laptop later - (admin)
                     ICLRPD (new thread) - (jb4)
         Some About:Config tweaks for memory usage in FF. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Don't see much of a memory problem on OS/2, but..... - (n3jja)

Divide by zero
98 ms