IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Memory leaks in Firefox 2.0.0.2 and Thunderbird 1.5.0.10
I don't use Thunderbird myself (since I'm on Linux, I use Evolution)...But I generally use my Firefox (v1.5.0.9) browser so much during the day that I run it out of memory myself. Opening/closing tabs, forward-only browsing in a couple of tabs to the point where there are a few hundred pages to go to get back to the first page (even though only 30-ish are displayed on the back button)...Doing stuff like that will get you to the point where FF will start opening windows on its own when you click on a link that shouldn't create a new window. Closing that window will close all of FF, as if there weren't multiple windows open.

It's annoying, but something I'm aware of because I do use FF so damn much (being a web dev guy.) Since I haven't the time to go around debugging other people's work, I just accept it and move on. Not that you necessarily should; just relating my experiences.
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Thanks.
Both of them have eaten another 20-30+ MB in the last 2 hours. I'll see what I can figure out when I get a chance.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who has 2 GB of RAM in this machine. It crawls when these things get too hungry.)
New Any plugins?
New Only Talkback in TB, several in FF.
Talkback 1.5.0.10 is in Thunderbird. I just added Leak Monitor 0.3.6 to both, but I don't imagine it's going to tell me much of anything.

In addition to Leak Monitor, FF 2.0.0.2 has:

Adblock Plus 0.7.2.4
Fasterfox 2.0.0
Flashblock 1.5.2
Tab Mix Plus 0.3.5.2
Table2Clipboard 0.0.2.1

Spellbound and Talkback 2.0.0.2 are disabled. I had trouble with Spellbound [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=262912|before] and the version I was using apparently isn't necessary for the 2.x branch of Firefox.

I'm using the default themes in both.

In Thunderbird, I can see a general trend in increasing memory usage after each check of my POP account, but it's not a constant increase.

I wouldn't be surprised if the FF extensions cause problems, but I'll bet there's a fundamental leak in the base code.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Memory leaks in Firefox 2.0.0.2 and Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 - (Another Scott) - (20)
         Re: Memory leaks in Firefox 2.0.0.2 and Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 - (Yendor) - (3)
             Thanks. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 Any plugins? -NT - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                     Only Talkback in TB, several in FF. - (Another Scott)
         I'm rapidly growing annoyed at FF - (tuberculosis) - (13)
             It sucks. - (pwhysall) - (12)
                 There's the deal-maker right there - (drewk)
                 Camino sucks worse than FF. - (admin) - (10)
                     That raises the question - (jake123) - (6)
                         Good point - (drewk)
                         The difference is... - (admin) - (4)
                             Why would you get called by the FCC? - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                 It's a joke. It doesn't need to be true. - (admin) - (2)
                                     Frogs now? I thought we were still on donkeys. -NT - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                         ICLRPD. (new thread) - (static)
                     Perhaps, but put FF and Safari side by side - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                         I'll try it on my laptop later - (admin)
                     ICLRPD (new thread) - (jb4)
         Some About:Config tweaks for memory usage in FF. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Don't see much of a memory problem on OS/2, but..... - (n3jja)

I asked one of the geostatisticians to look into it.
98 ms