IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Eventually, we do need to leave.
But I think that will be sometime before the Sun enters its [link|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_giant|red giant] phase. But Mars probably won't be far enough away to make much of a difference, and the Moon certainly won't.

Some of the problems with the psychology of small groups can probably be addressed if necessary (e.g. doping the food), but there are things like loss of bone mass in reduced gravity that may be more difficult to compensate for. Our bodies have had a very long time to adjust to our particular g and we don't really know how we'd do on Mars or the Moon where gravity is much less intense. And that's one simple thing that we do know something about. What about the circulatory system? Are the risks of [link|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulmonary_edema|pulmonary edema] higher? Stroke? Infectious disease? Etc.

As Andrew indicates, it costs a lot in terms of infrastructure and energy to get stuff out of our gravity well. Apollo cost an estimated [link|http://www.speculist.com/archives/000662.html|$105B in 2003-dollars], and those were very short duration missions that only moved a few thousand pounds to the Moon. You're talking about a project that is orders of magnitude larger. Even a few women in a colony will need a large support infrastructure there (they won't be able to do much while they're recovering from childbirth).

For the next few thousand years, it's hard for me to imagine it being better to have large-scale settlement on another planet than living here. Even if we have to build something under the ocean because the ozone's gone or because everything's too radioactive, it'll be cheaper here.

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who thinks that small-scale settlements are a good idea, but not because we need to leave Earth soon.)
New Apollo
Didn't have a shuttle, or the possibility of commercial companies contracting the work. Spaceship one didn't cost as much in real terms as Mercury - not by a long shot.

As for the problem with g - true they might be there - but the 'problem' might just be with free fall, not reduced gravity. Of course, we'll never know if we stay here.

And waiting 'till Red Giant phase? The Neanderthals didn't last that long, and they lasted longer than we have so far. I really don't think we have that long.

And - a few thousand years? The length of time the West has been 'civilised'? 10 times the length of time we've had an industrial civilisation? Again, I dunno. I don't think we have the time to dawdle.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New SpaceShipOne - 100 km at peak of a burnout . . .
. . trajectory (could have gone a little higher) with a velocity rapidly approaching 0 at the peak of the trajectory.

The Mercury capsule did 22 orbits between 160 and 282 km requiring a speed of about 8 km/second (17,892 miles/hour). A rather huge difference in scale there. When SpaceShipOne completes 22 orbits we can compare costs.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus Dec. 12, 2006, 08:32:29 PM EST
     the UN said it so it must be true - (boxley) - (36)
         Why - because it will take longer? - (imric) - (35)
             Re: Why - because it will take longer? - (pwhysall) - (6)
                 Won't help. Well. Won't help ENOUGH. - (imric) - (4)
                     Oh, I don't doubt it. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                         What, ever? - (imric) - (2)
                             Eggs & Sperm = Homo Sapiens... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                 Oh, I agree... - (imric)
                 keep the tridents parked - (boxley)
             Getting off the rock won't help those of us still here. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                 True... - (imric)
             We MUST get off this rock? - (Andrew Grygus) - (25)
                 Umm, so? - (imric) - (24)
                     Pie-in-the-sky - (Andrew Grygus) - (23)
                         Uh huh. - (imric) - (22)
                             Speaking of which... - (admin)
                             A viable, non-toxic backup plan would be nice. - (Andrew Grygus) - (17)
                                 As mentioned before... - (imric) - (16)
                                     Re: As mentioned before... - (Andrew Grygus) - (15)
                                         Completely wrong. - (imric) - (14)
                                             Submarine crews . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                                                 Sure. Whatever. - (imric) - (6)
                                                     In smaller groups . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                                                         OK, wrong again. I am *shocked* - (imric) - (4)
                                                             The death of humanity as a species is a given. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                                                 amen on your last sentence -NT - (boxley)
                                                                 So - Let's sum up your points - (imric)
                                                             "Mein Fuhrer, I Can Walk!" - (n3jja)
                                             Techno Possibility is subordinate to species mindset, - (Ashton) - (5)
                                                 *sigh* - (imric)
                                                 s/species/society/g -NT - (boxley)
                                                 Remember Biosphere 2? - (dmcarls) - (2)
                                                     Re: Remember Biosphere 2? - (Ashton)
                                                     Wuzzat the one with Pauly Shore? -NT - (drewk)
                             Eventually, we do need to leave. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                 Apollo - (imric) - (1)
                                     SpaceShipOne - 100 km at peak of a burnout . . . - (Andrew Grygus)

Reese's Pieces? Am I in a different pit this time?
106 ms