IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I think we're talking past each other.
There's alot of things from 1955 that won't past muster in current environments. Back then there were a handful of reporters with cameras and you watched them all at 6pm.

My point in bringing up 1955 was to indicate that there hasn't been much controversy over the language since then - until the Bush administration decided that the Geneva Conventions were [link|http://www.americanprogress.org/site/pp.asp?c=biJRJ8OVF&b=%2079532|quaint and obsolete].

The ideas behind the GCs go back to the [link|http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/lawofwar/geneva02.htm|1920s] and even earlier. They don't exist because they're convenient. They exist to spell out in clear language that people must be treated humanely when they're captured as a result of military action.

Don't misunderstand. The attempt Bush is making is misguided and bringing attention to something that should best be left quiet. But it is exactly that aspect of our open society that won't allow these things to stay quiet and will continue to be one of the main levers used to compromise our security.

I disagree.

Look at the people who are advocating loosening the restrictions and compare them to the people who say it's dangerous to do so. The guarantees of the GC aren't making us less secure.

The people who have and who want to carry out attacks like 9/11 don't care about consequences. They don't care about torture or waterboarding or being stacked up in naked piles and so forth. They want to kill as many people as possible while carrying out their martrydom operations. The GC protections exist to protect the humanity of people who are captured, 99% of which aren't in the jihadist martyr camp. And to protect the moral standing of the interrogators. And to preserve an international system so that we don't have a return to the concept of Total War that would destroy civilization.

And, my apologies to the current regime, these are things which we should not change even in the knowledge that these principles will likely cause people to die.

There's nothing to apologize about that. ;-)

Still, I agree that clarification...specifically as to what constitutes degrading and humiliating treatments would be a good thing.

I still don't see why it's needed.

Elsewhere in the GCs there is mention of protecting captives from public spectacle. I think degrading treatment can be understood the same way. Namely, do not treat captives in ways that are contrary to your country's laws for civilian prisoners; don't treat captives different from the ways you would want your troops to be treated if they were captured by the other side. It's not that difficult.

And one other point of order...

In the case of armed conflict not of an international character occurring in the territory of one of the High Contracting Parties..

When did Osama sign up???

I've expressed my thoughts on that before - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=223989|#223989]. The bottom line for me, now, is that the conventions exist to protect the humanity of prisoners. It doesn't matter whether they were wearing a uniform or were regular soldiers or not. Maybe the GCs should be modified regarding contact with outsiders, letters and packages from home, etc., in certain cases, but the basic protections of 1) having their status decided by a fair judicial process with checks and balances and with the opportunity to prove their innocence, 2) not being subject to cruel or degrading or painful treatment, etc., should hold whoever they are.

FWIW.

[edit:]I meant to add this earlier.

Note that there's quite a bit of [link|http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/10/washington/10detain.html?_r=1&oref=slogin&ref=us&pagewanted=print|disagreement about Bush's categorization of Zubaydah's interrogation and the effectiveness of harsh interrogation techniques]. Not having been there, I can't say which is right, but I have an inkling.

Cheers,
Scott.
Collapse Edited by Another Scott Sept. 16, 2006, 10:02:52 AM EDT
I think we're talking past each other.
There's alot of things from 1955 that won't past muster in current environments. Back then there were a handful of reporters with cameras and you watched them all at 6pm.

My point in bringing up 1955 was to indicate that there hasn't been much controversy over the language since then - until the Bush administration decided that the Geneva Conventions were [link|http://www.americanprogress.org/site/pp.asp?c=biJRJ8OVF&b=%2079532|quaint and obsolete].

The ideas behind the GCs go back to the [link|http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/lawofwar/geneva02.htm|1920s] and even earlier. They don't exist because they're convenient. They exist to spell out in clear language that people must be treated humanely when they're captured as a result of military action.

Don't misunderstand. The attempt Bush is making is misguided and bringing attention to something that should best be left quiet. But it is exactly that aspect of our open society that won't allow these things to stay quiet and will continue to be one of the main levers used to compromise our security.

I disagree.

Look at the people who are advocating loosening the restrictions and compare them to the people who say it's dangerous to do so. The guarantees of the GC aren't making us less secure.

The people who have and who want to carry out attacks like 9/11 don't care about consequences. They don't care about torture or waterboarding or being stacked up in naked piles and so forth. They want to kill as many people as possible while carrying out their martrydom operations. The GC protections exist to protect the humanity of people who are captured, 99% of which aren't in the jihadist martyr camp. And to protect the moral standing of the interrogators. And to preserve an international system so that we don't have a return to the concept of Total War that would destroy civilization.

And, my apologies to the current regime, these are things which we should not change even in the knowledge that these principles will likely cause people to die.

There's nothing to apologize about that. ;-)

Still, I agree that clarification...specifically as to what constitutes degrading and humiliating treatments would be a good thing.

I still don't see why it's needed.

Elsewhere in the GCs there is mention of protecting captives from public spectacle. I think degrading treatment can be understood the same way. Namely, do not treat captives in ways that are contrary to your country's laws for civilian prisoners; don't treat captives different from the ways you would want your troops to be treated if they were captured by the other side. It's not that difficult.

And one other point of order...

In the case of armed conflict not of an international character occurring in the territory of one of the High Contracting Parties..

When did Osama sign up???

I've expressed my thoughts on that before - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=223989|#223989]. The bottom line for me, now, is that the conventions exist to protect the humanity of prisoners. It doesn't matter whether they were wearing a uniform or were regular soldiers or not. Maybe the GCs should be modified regarding contact with outsiders, letters and packages from home, etc., in certain cases, but the basic protections of 1) having their status decided by a fair judicial process with checks and balances and with the opportunity to prove their innocence, 2) not being subject to cruel or degrading or painful treatment, etc., should hold whoever they are.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Maybe not
My point in bringing up 1955 was to indicate that there hasn't been much controversy over the language since then - until the Bush administration decided that the Geneva Conventions were quaint and obsolete.

The ideas behind the GCs go back to the 1920s and even earlier. They don't exist because they're convenient. They exist to spell out in clear language that people must be treated humanely when they're captured as a result of military action.

Yep..they established rules of war...not just captive rules. And the strongest case the adminstration has is that the currently enemy was not a thought of the framers of those rules.

I actually am completely in agreement that captured terrorists should NOT have to be treated by convention rules. They do not meet any standard set forth to qualify. They don't wear designated uniforms..they openly target civilians as part of their engagement strategy. This entire exersize, including the wish to clarify the rules, is an example of our ethical superiority to our current enemy...even if we only settle on degrading.

So my point is that there is sufficient change in the game of war since 1955, and sufficient change in environment (and media pressure is a large component of that) that would lead to the need to make sure the rules are much more specific.

You and I both know its not that big a deal, but we're not the ones that are asking people to do things that could land them a lifetime in prison if some dutch guy has a different definition of inhumane.

And mind you, this is a game that only we will play...as I don't think any Al Q members are going to worry about definitions of inhumane...they know torture and death and will continue to treat our soldiers and worse, our civilians along those lines.
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
     Bush pushes on terrorism proposal - (JayMehaffey) - (77)
         What's to clarify? - (jbrabeck) - (63)
             What, specifically, do those things mean? - (bepatient) - (62)
                 Good points, but... - (jbrabeck) - (52)
                     You and I agree on the SH point - (bepatient) - (51)
                         That I would agree too. - (jbrabeck) - (50)
                             What two things are the admin pushing? - (Silverlock) - (49)
                                 Its not >re< definition - (bepatient) - (48)
                                     It's not that difficult, IMHO. - (Another Scott) - (36)
                                         Gimme a break on that - (bepatient) - (35)
                                             I think we're talking past each other. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                 Maybe not - (bepatient)
                                             be careful what you wish for.... - (Simon_Jester) - (32)
                                                 I am completely fine with that. - (bepatient) - (31)
                                                     It sure as hell ain't that churchly fornication thing - (Ashton)
                                                     What about when the "clarification" is used on US troops? - (Silverlock) - (29)
                                                         Considering the alternative - (bepatient) - (28)
                                                             What other people do doesn't matter. What we do does. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                                 Hear, hear! -NT - (imric)
                                                                 No argument. -NT - (bepatient)
                                                                 No. - (mmoffitt)
                                                             The altenative to waterboarding is beheading? - (imric) - (22)
                                                                 Who would be capturing our troops? - (bepatient) - (21)
                                                                     So friggin' what? - (imric) - (20)
                                                                         You are missing the point. - (bepatient) - (19)
                                                                             FOLLOW ALONG? - (imric) - (18)
                                                                                 lest I have to repeat myself again - (bepatient) - (17)
                                                                                     And that doesn't matter, dude. - (imric) - (16)
                                                                                         Its not a rationalization - (bepatient) - (15)
                                                                                             Allow me to repeat myself - (Silverlock) - (3)
                                                                                                 Why not, its more fun. -NT - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                                     You're troll-fu has been weak for awhile now - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                                                                                         Haven't hit the warning track yet. - (bepatient)
                                                                                             If it is a simple fact, - (imric) - (10)
                                                                                                 I think we've missed his point - (jbrabeck) - (2)
                                                                                                     Not quite. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                                         Nope, you haven't. - (bepatient)
                                                                                                 No - (bepatient) - (6)
                                                                                                     No, it doesn't. - (imric) - (5)
                                                                                                         All valid points - (bepatient) - (4)
                                                                                                             Please quote what you're responding to. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                                                                                 Your problem is with who you attribute the desire. - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                                                     That's what I was trying to say - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                                                                                                                         And my response was affirmative to you - (bepatient)
                                                             Technically speaking.... - (Simon_Jester)
                                     This is so inherently a fool's errand, though - - (Ashton) - (1)
                                         Exactly. - (Another Scott)
                                     Clarification defeats the purpose. - (Silverlock) - (8)
                                         Sure, I get it - (bepatient) - (7)
                                             Well, after all - (jake123)
                                             It's not like people aren't interrogated all the time. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                 Chuckle - (bepatient)
                                             How do you know they're terrorists? - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                 Valid point. - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                     Oh, that's OK then. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                         That was nowhere near the point of that post - (bepatient)
                 Don't be evil -NT - (Silverlock)
                 the presidents argument is clearly wrong - (boxley) - (2)
                     Wrong? Possibly in extent he took it - (bepatient) - (1)
                         It's a long way - (imric)
                 Your being far to generous - (JayMehaffey) - (4)
                     Yes, and the fact that they can and Did proceed in this way - (Ashton) - (3)
                         Right...provable lies - (bepatient) - (2)
                             I never promised you a rose garden. -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 I wouldn't want the job. -NT - (bepatient)
         Eventually he'll have to accept what he gets. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             I hadn't watched The McLauglin shout-extravaganza (PBS) much - (Ashton)
         everything old is new again (40KB image) - (rcareaga) - (4)
             WOW! - (lincoln) - (3)
                 Just lucky, I guess - (rcareaga) - (2)
                     Yes, I recognize that little girl - - (Ashton) - (1)
                         It's Ann Coulter -NT - (imqwerky)
         You know...this ignores the larger issue.... - (Simon_Jester) - (4)
             Shush! We gotta protect our Sekrets! - (Another Scott)
             What constitutes legal methods in GC and thus US law - (bepatient) - (2)
                 Have you seen the Senate Armed Services bill? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     They shouldn't have caved there. - (bepatient)
         Tom Malinowski OpEd at the Washington Post. - (Another Scott)

I never want to see that line out of context.
346 ms