IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Ah, so its a GOD given right
that every single person should get a new job that pays them more than their last job.

Anything else is simple proof that they are being exploited by evil capitalist pigs.

Somehow I don't think that spoiled mentality is shared by our predecessor generation.
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New Heh.
every single person should get a new job that pays them more than their last job. ...
Somehow I don't think that spoiled mentality is shared by our predecessor generation.

Er, my memory (circa 20th century up until the Reagan Revolution) was that the generally shared "mentality" was that there existed something called "The American Dream." It went sort of like this:

1) Go to school. Get good grades.
2) Work hard. Get an honest day's pay for an honest day's work.
3) Doing 2 will get you *promoted* so that your standard of living actually goes up.
4) Achieve the American Dream.

Now the shared "mentality" goes something along these lines:
1) Go to school. Get good grades. Major in something that is going make you hireable in a position that is going to take at least 5 years after your grad school graduation to outsource your job to some third world country for 1/10th the wages you'll be paid.
2) Work hard - very hard if you want to maintain your standard of living over the 5 years you'll be employable until the greedy owners of the business you work for figure out how to get Mohammad to do your job for 3 cents on the dollar. Remember, you owe the corporation loyalty - especially if you're salaried (in such case you'll need to give from 10-25% more work gratis). The corporation owes you nothing.
3) Doing 2 will give you a job for a handful of years. Then you'll need to go back to Step 1 and repeat the cycle. And don't complain - this is the Murican Way.
4) This is the American nightmare.
bcnu,
Mikem

It would seem, therefore, that the three human impulses embodied in religion are fear, conceit, and hatred. The purpose of religion, one might say, is to give an air of respectibility to these passions. -- Bertrand Russell
New Somehow I think you misinterpreted
the dream into "the guarantee".

And all that college education lands you a call center job? Overstating the outsource issue...after all...everybody in every sector answers phone or writes code.

New Oh, and another thing.
Those realizing the American Dream??? Immigrants. Chinese/other orientals/latinos. See it here in the city all the time. Start with a food card. Work hard. Save money. Get another cart. Work hard. Upgrade to a restaurant. Move the 7 family members out of the 2 br apartment to a house. Work hard, Save more, move into a nice 300k house in the suburbs. (right around the corner, great people)

Small store owners. Whole family lives upstairs. Work 14-16 hours a day..kids work there too...same deal.

See...thats the ethic that existed with OUR grandparents...and the honest days work was past on to our parents. And folks in that generation that lost their job...found another one. If it paid the same or less...they were >still supporting their family<. It was an ETHIC. Now the ETHIC is gone. If I am unfortunate enough to lose my 100k job...its beneath me to work somewhere for 80k. I, instead, become "disenchanted" and stay home.

You think this is "the right thing" and its solely to blame on "big greedy companies".

BS.
New You think people don't take pay cuts today?
Think again. As best I can tell, that is the ETHIC you seem to embrace - work more for less compensation. That *IS* every Murican corporation's desired "work ethic" for its wage slaves employees.

Our guidelines for pay increases (I am MOST UNFORTUNATELY a manager) state that "above average performance" should be "rewarded" with a 3.5% increase. Swell. Above average performance yields a real -0.1%. IOW, work hard, very hard so that your performance will be above average and your real income will only go down one-tenth of a percentage point. Izzat the "work ethic" you're looking for?
bcnu,
Mikem

It would seem, therefore, that the three human impulses embodied in religion are fear, conceit, and hatred. The purpose of religion, one might say, is to give an air of respectibility to these passions. -- Bertrand Russell
New You are confused
the ethic has NOTHING to do with corporations. And your attitude is so far removed that I have no doubt that you simply don't understand what I'm talking about.
     Men dropping out of work force - (JayMehaffey) - (102)
         Of course it points that out - (bepatient) - (88)
             Exactly. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                 Ah, so its a GOD given right - (bepatient) - (5)
                     Heh. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                         Somehow I think you misinterpreted - (bepatient)
                         Oh, and another thing. - (bepatient) - (2)
                             You think people don't take pay cuts today? - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                 You are confused - (bepatient)
             Wow, almost perfectly opposite impression - (JayMehaffey) - (80)
                 Huh? - (drewk)
                 Timing of publication and the publication itself. - (bepatient) - (78)
                     Ferchrissakes. - (mmoffitt) - (77)
                         Apologist for whom, exactly? - (bepatient) - (76)
                             lowest unemployment in years, I agree - (boxley) - (75)
                                 Saw this a while back - (bepatient) - (74)
                                     crock o sommat - (boxley) - (4)
                                         doesn't jibe with the figures - (bepatient)
                                         It's the nature of averages... - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                             Same error both sides - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                 Both sides are correct - (broomberg)
                                     possible nit - (boxley) - (68)
                                         other places too - (bepatient) - (66)
                                             P1ss on that. - (imric) - (65)
                                                 I can finger just as many - (bepatient) - (64)
                                                     100% - (imric) - (63)
                                                         Let's take a poll: Better or Worse Worse - (imqwerky) - (62)
                                                             Better. - (imric) - (2)
                                                                 Considering Cost of Living even? - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                     Yup. - (imric)
                                                             7/8 of what I was making in 1998 - (boxley)
                                                             Depends on what you mean by better - (JayMehaffey) - (2)
                                                                 Seconded - (drewk) - (1)
                                                                     Thirded - (lincoln)
                                                             Better - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                 Don't I wish - (drewk)
                                                                 IT did have a bubble that is well burst - (boxley)
                                                             Worse - (bionerd) - (9)
                                                                 By what measure then? - (bepatient) - (8)
                                                                     While she considers herself better off, - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                                                                         true nuff -NT - (bepatient)
                                                                     It's a double-edged sword. - (bionerd) - (5)
                                                                         Now wait just a minute - (bepatient) - (4)
                                                                             Hold on there, babalooey. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                                                 I didn't. - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                     Last on this. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                                         2 sides in every negotiation. Mgt caved. -NT - (bepatient)
                                                             Better - (SpiceWare) - (36)
                                                                 Which all begs the question - (drewk) - (35)
                                                                     Re: Which all begs the question - (bepatient) - (34)
                                                                         I'll disagree on that - (drewk) - (30)
                                                                             But we don't want pollution in our yard - (tonytib) - (2)
                                                                                 That's where it gets tricky - (drewk)
                                                                                 It's not just NIMBY. - (Another Scott)
                                                                             Doesn't solve core issue - (bepatient) - (13)
                                                                                 I definitely agree with one point - (jake123)
                                                                                 What would you train them to be? - (imric) - (11)
                                                                                     Welders, mechanics, operators (machine), butchers, bakers - (bepatient) - (10)
                                                                                         ROFL! Not what I meant at all! - (imric) - (6)
                                                                                             He forgot candlestick maker too :0) - (imqwerky)
                                                                                             Now this ought to be interesting coming from me. - (bepatient) - (4)
                                                                                                 Problem with "earning a living" - (drewk) - (2)
                                                                                                     Been there, too. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                                                                     Dupe (How'd that happen?) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                                                                 Nah - my point - (imric)
                                                                                         Butchers aren't happening either... - (hnick) - (2)
                                                                                             Actually not as bad around here - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                                                 Well, it's 2 out of 3 of the dominant chains here. - (hnick)
                                                                             I'll second that - (imqwerky) - (12)
                                                                                 You are. -NT - (bepatient) - (11)
                                                                                     I beg to differ. - (imqwerky) - (3)
                                                                                         Beg all you like - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                             No, I won't - (imqwerky) - (1)
                                                                                                 You may want - (bepatient)
                                                                                     And so are you. - (folkert) - (6)
                                                                                         :-) - (Another Scott)
                                                                                         Which goes to the point I made to Drew -NT - (bepatient)
                                                                                         "All-American" content is not smart - (tonytib) - (3)
                                                                                             Actually, iirc - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                                 No, public company on the NASDAQ - (tonytib) - (1)
                                                                                                     ok. thought it was - (bepatient)
                                                                         The gains made by the few bring the averages up. -NT - (imric) - (2)
                                                                             Thats what the other link was for - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                                 No? - (imric)
                                                             Depends on your take of the situation... - (Yendor)
                                                             Worse. Much worse. -NT - (Silverlock)
                                                             Worse - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                                 That's not a realistic metric - (tonytib) - (1)
                                                                     Just makes it worse - (tuberculosis)
                                         Funny that I know so many in NJ - (imric)
         Ah, now I see where this is going - (JayMehaffey) - (12)
             Matters not. - (imric) - (6)
                 You got that right. -NT - (imqwerky)
                 you forgot the outlaws -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                     True. -NT - (imric)
                     And the lawyers ... or is that redundant? -NT - (drewk) - (2)
                         CAN they be 'outlaws? - (imric) - (1)
                             Think about it - (drewk)
             I wish the NYT didn't make you pay for access - (lincoln) - (1)
                 The Smirking Chimp has it. - (Another Scott)
             That Brooks is a talking head-up-ass on PBS - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Isn't about 95% of that piece tongue in cheek? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     It could be his idea of subtlety, I suppose - (Ashton)

Halfway between the gutter and the stars.
148 ms