IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Sorry to hear,
prayers and thoughts your way. I hope you can learn to let go.

--
Steve
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu]
New Re: Sorry to hear,
prayers and thoughts your way. I hope you can learn to let go.

That's the whole problem, Steve. I DID let go. I gave up on fixing things with Katie last month, and I chose my mom over her.

I was getting better... I really really was....

And now, after 8 months of begging her to talk to me, use a mediator, e-mail about it, anything, with her refusing, Katie has now come to me asking to try again, and this time she's willing to have someone (who is also willing), to be a mediator (not John and not a family member), but to imagine trying again without being able to vent, talk, cry, feel... with anyone other than John....

I can't.

I fought for here, IWT, to vent, and won that, but not much else. They want me not to post about it in my own Yahoo group, write about it in my own monthly letter, and not talk to mom about it for at least 2 weeks....

I just got all that back! I clawed my way back and took it all back, and now they want me to give it up again?

I don't think I can. :(

Brenda

"When you take charge of your life, there is no longer need to ask permission of other people or society at large. When you ask permission, you give someone veto power over your life."

By Geoffrey F. Abert
Expand Edited by Nightowl March 10, 2006, 12:29:38 PM EST
New Here's the plan
Brenda and Katie,

Would you be willing to agree to the following as written?

1. I will not: Discuss emails, conversations, etc. THAT OCCUR BETWEEN [OTHER PERSON], DORI AND I (meaning that this excludes Reunion Details that have to be discussed, etc), other than to say one or more of the following (in my own words but without clarifying it with any other statement/explanation):

"This situation has been going on for some time and it is going to take a little while to get it straightened out."

"I feel we (WE, not I) are [Whatever you feel in 5 words or less. Yes, that's right--- only 5 --- so choose your words ahead of time. :: grins ::]

Here are some suggestions:
making progress
wasting our time
stuck on a couple issues
crazy for trying
completely reconciled
getting a better understanding
worse off than we started
driving Dori crazy
being driven crazy by Dori
exhausted but hopeful

"All of us are committed to the process and we still have some time before the initial deadline. I'll keep you posted."

2. I will not: Explain WHY I feel this way. If they ask, I will say something as close to the following as possible, in my own words:

"Part of the agreement is that I won't discuss the details of the process. After it is over there will be a recap I can share with you."

2a. I agree that numbers 1 and 2 will apply to the following:
a. Ria
b. HT (My Yahoo Group)
c. All family members with the exclusion of my own spouse.

2b. I agree that numbers 1 and 2 will exclude the following: (meaning I may comment, discuss, etc. at will), WITH THE UNDERSTANDING that I will REFRAIN from quoting the responses or conversations with these people/groups/entitites/etc with HT, Ria, and All family members with the exclusion of my own spouse.
a. IWT
b. Ginny (online friend)
c. DK (online friend)

2c. I understand that the criteria detailed in numbers A, 1 and 2 will best facilitate a more trusting environment for all parties involved.

2d. I will refrain from contacting [other person] about anything unnecessary or pertaining to the discussions between she, Dori and I, (meaning that this excludes Reunion Details that have to be discussed, etc), and will email Dori about any and all concerns, questions, etc. regarding issues, conflicts, etc with [other person] until such a time arises that it is mutually agreed upon by all 3 of us that it is the next step that needs to occur.

3. I will: participate in helping Dori compose a 'recap' of the process and decisions that were made, understanding that:

I. The recap will have the following format:

A. Basic list of issues that were discussed and resolved, with the resolution listed.

B. Basic list of issues that were discussed and NOT resolved (if applicable) and where the contention lay.

C. If issues were not resolved:
a plan for resolving them
or a plan for tabling them
or a plan for insuring the unresolved issue will not affect others

D. My feelings about the overall outcome.

E. [other person]'s feelings about the overall outcome.

F. Dori's feelings about the overall outcome.

G. A statement about what happens next.

II. All three of us will be working to develop this recap and that we will all agree on it prior to it being posted in HT, or shared with others.

4. I will do my best to work toward a mutually beneficial compromise.

5. I will agree to abide by the provisions set forth in the 'recap', in order to have a more harmonious relationship with [other person].
(Please note that the 'recap' will include issues that were not resolved and a method for dealing with the controversy.)

6. I agree to ask Dori to get clarification or confirmation on anything that is not completely clear to me.

7. I will be completely honest when corresponding and will do my best to answer thoughtfully and with intent.

8. I agree to enter this agreement with the expectation of success, with a positive frame of mind, and doing my best to release all hostility and hurt- clinging only to that which will help build a healthy new foundation for a relationship with [other person].

9. I understand that once this agreement is completed, relinquished, or extended and completed, there will still be a lot of effort needed in order to have good communication.

10. I understand that if I want to cancel this agreement I may do so at any time, but agree to work with Dori and [other person] to set into place certain provisions to prevent any remaining controversy from affecting others once I have informed Dori of my desire to cancel the agreement, and prior to posting on HT, discussing with Ria or prior to discussing with any family member except my spouse.

11. I understand that Dori makes no promises, implies no guarantees, offers no warranties, exchanges or refunds, and that she agrees to facilitate the communication between [other person] and I until such time as the agreement is completed, relinquished, or extended and completed.

12. I agree to abide by the provisions until the deadline specified in Dori's confirming post, which she will write after getting consent from both [other person] and I.

This is what they are asking me to agree to. I can only talk to Dori (through e-mail), two online people, John, and in here, about any of this,or how I'm dealing with it, for 2 weeks, and can't express emotions or feelings about it to anyone anywhere else either. And I can only write about it in 5 words or less with no specifics and only using "we".

I would have to be a hermit and hide out to cope with this. :(

Brenda

"When you take charge of your life, there is no longer need to ask permission of other people or society at large. When you ask permission, you give someone veto power over your life."

By Geoffrey F. Abert
New just ignore Katie
dont communicate or respond to her, about her etc. Give up the reunion stuff. It sounds like a tom sawyer fence job anyway. Skip a reunion, tell them it isnt worth the agravation.
gluck,
Bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New The answer I would give them is
Dear (whoever wrote this tripe),

Bugger that.

Your friend,
Don
-----------------------------------------
Impeach Bush. Impeach Cheney. Do it now.
New you and your family
...have way too much time on your hands.
New Screw them
As was said before, this is not how fasmily members communicate (actually, MBAs copmmunicate. family members talk). Tear yourself free of those people whatever the cost. You'll be better of in the long run. (my wife had to do something similar - it was worth it for her).

------

179. I will not outsource core functions.
--
[link|http://omega.med.yale.edu/~pcy5/misc/overlord2.htm|.]

New Here's the answer.
"No."

You need to learn how to say that simple little word and stand behind it.

That little "agreement" is nonsensical. You are an adult. You can talk with and about what you want. If you can't exert that bit of self-control on your own, a piece of paper isn't going to suddenly make you do it. Really Brenda, I understand you have some issues. I know some things are hard for you. I understand that you tried with some success for a few months to change. But you're smart enough to know that this "agreement" is stupid. Don't even think about signing it.

An agreement usually offers something in exchange for some consideration. What would you get out of it? Dori's blessing or something? How is that worth what you're going through?

I don't want to repeat too much, so you might want to review my comments in [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=217422|#217422] from 7 months ago.

You can't change or control anyone else. Life isn't like that. You can only control yourself. It's clear to many of us that Katie drives you nuts. It's clear to many of us that planning for your family reunion is a pathology. You need to stop talking to Katie, and you need to decide to have nothing to do with your reunion. Maybe for a year, maybe forever. If you can't do that, then consider reading [link|http://www.recovery-man.com/abusive/abusive.htm|this] and notice the similarity between what's discussed there and your relationship with Katie and your family reunion planning.

My $0.02.

Feel free to take it or leave it; no reply or explanation is necessary.

Hang in there, but please change the situation you're in for the better.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Update With Good News! -- and thanks for the input
I agree, Scott, I know better than to settle for that agreement, and I held out for a better one, like Hnick said.

Here's the good news, and a little more explanation for any who want it.

Dori explained that the agreement would be first for 2 weeks (to see how it goes), and the idea behind not talking to a lot of other people for that time, would be to keep most other people out of the mix between Katie and I. That actually made some sense, (as in less verbal interference while we try to figure this out), and the 2 weeks was better than open-ended.

Dori also asked me when I disagreed with the contract, to state what I would be willing to do to attempt this. She now gets that if she tells me I can't talk to anyone else, it would eat me up inside. John and a couple other good friends also added their input to get this point across.

So... now we are working to put together a better agreement. Here are some of the basics:

I can share anything and everything with John, several private groups, private e-mail, and most offline people I choose, (other than family), including you guys (even though you aren't private, IWT is exempt), if I need to for coping, clarification or support.

I can talk to my mom, and several other specific people with basic concepts and feelings, but not share the actual e-mail process and such directly with her. This will keep her out of the mix with Katie, and prevent a lot of the confusion that continues to result from mom trying to be the interpreter. Katie would also have to keep Ria out of same (not share e-mails, etc. with Ria.) We now have a better interpreter who is objective, which is turning out to be a lot better.

I can't mention anything about Katie in my public Yahoo group for the 2 weeks. (this will be the hardest, but I think I could do it. It would be good discipline to try, anyway).

And I will refrain from mentioning anything much about the process anywhere else that's public, other than a statement or something saying how I feel, "The process is going well", "the process is stressing me out", etc.

That's the gist, the contract still isn't written, and we are still stuck on the issue of the monthly letter, but this one actually sounds like it might work. Dori is really throwing herself into this, she's reading all the history in my group about the problem, excerpts from my letters, and I gave her the reunion group archives to read also.

And for the first time in months, the following things have happened:
Katie admitted we have a problem.
Katie stated she wanted to work at resolving it.
Katie finally gets that my Yahoo group is PUBLIC and that anyone can read it. (It's hard to make less computer-savvy people get things sometimes).
and Katie and I both said we still missed and loved one another.

In my opinion, there's no reason to try this plan, at least give it a chance, now that all the pressure about talking to certain people has been resolved. I think I could actually try this, and it has a chance of actually working.

When I get the actual contract, (like I said, it's not written up completely yet as we are still hammering it out, but all together now, rather than her writing it on her own), I can post it here if you want.

Thanks, each and everyone of you for all your support, sorry I was losing it the other night. It still may not work, at least I'm realistic about it, but I figure I've tried this long, I should try this before actually giving up.

Brenda

By Geoffrey F. Abert
Expand Edited by Nightowl March 13, 2006, 12:57:18 PM EST
New WTH?
Contract? Shove it up their collective asses. You're all adults; act as such. You shouldn't need a "contract" to sit down and work things out.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Re: WTH?
You're all adults
Now there you're on shakey ground :)
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Chronologically.
I was basically saying, "act your ages".
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Short explanation
This is a contract only to enter in to with Dori for her to help interpret for the two of us, without too much outside interference. It isn't a contract for how Katie and I will behave in a friendship. It's like Katie and I speak two different languages or something, as we come from totally different upbringings, and Dori is a neutral party.

When Katie and I are together, or lately, the physical symptoms for each are extreme, her blood pressure rises and my heart pounds and I dehydrate. so we can't discuss it calmly based on that fight-flight thing in both of us.

Dori helped Katie already understand that I don't feel "safe" around her in a panic-anxiety sense, so the translation process is working so far. She isn't on anyone's side, just trying to help us understand one another better, and it seems to be starting to work.

I know it isn't a permanent fix, but if Katie and I can get some understanding of how each of us tick, we may be able to work things out in a better way in the future.

I figure I owe this one more try, because it does affect the entire family, with a huge ripple effect.

Brenda

By Geoffrey F. Abert
New No it doesn't
I figure I owe this one more try, because it does affect the entire family, with a huge ripple effect.
I hope this isn't to blunt for you, but: BULLSHIT!

It only affects people who choose to be affected by it. That clearly includes you. I'll bet there are a bunch of people who don't give a shit. Probably including some poeple you think you're doing this for.

Stop doing things because you're worried what other people are going to think. If there's something you want to do for yourself, knock yourself out. If it's for someone else, tell them to do it themselves. You do anything other than that, and you deserve every bit of pain you get.
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New Why, I have before me - - my copy of Dick Feynman's
What Do You Care What Other People Think?
\ufffd 1988 by Gweneth Feynman and Ralph Leighton; W.W. Norton. Inc.

Just in case anybody thought it a nutty question to ask (?)

But we have to recall that, not so long ago - every little girl was warned about the underdeveloped male emotional centers; apprised of the fact that She would have to do all the caring (and teaching of 'how to care'), not only for her mate and offspring, but for Herself. It was, simply Her Nature\ufffd so: Get Used To It, Sweetie.

Then Sylvia Plath suicided and .. ... (how many men ever read The Bell Jar ?)

Ahh... it's all so fucking complexificated by the social ""sciences"" and Bowdlerized by The Tube and its noisy offspring - no wonder the canaries are all getting sick at once.

So much reprogramming to do ... so little time -
New Re: Why, I have before me - - my copy of Dick Feynman's
What Do You Care What Other People Think?

Ashton, I would think that you would understand the most. It turns out not to be not about what other people think, at least not with my cousin. With my SIL, yes, but I've already ceased to care about my SIL's opinions.

With my cousin, it's more like she talks one language and me another. We're discovering that more and more. And this person, this translator, she is showing us that, which is really wonderful. So we are making progress, and learning to understand what each one means by a particular term or word.

After all, most words are meaningful to the person in their own definition, and to understand the person, you need to understand their interpretation of the words. :)

It's actually kinda neat, learning how differently we interpret things and how that's helping us understand where we went wrong.

Brenda

By Geoffrey F. Abert
New Agree.. horse of another color
Noticing how Very-differently people set their priorities can cancel a bit, the hostlity of first friction. Most of us draw the line (it's Work..) when the gap seems just too large to even try.

(And Nobody can tell you what "too large" means in the gap-business, either. There's rarely a Necessity of 'explaining', for all obvious reasons. 'Why?' is what 2-yos continue to ask.. even into their dotage.)

I.

New Re: Agree.. horse of another color
Noticing how Very-differently people set their priorities can cancel a bit, the hostlity of first friction. Most of us draw the line (it's Work..) when the gap seems just too large to even try.

(And Nobody can tell you what "too large" means in the gap-business, either. There's rarely a Necessity of 'explaining', for all obvious reasons. 'Why?' is what 2-yos continue to ask.. even into their dotage.)

Exactly. And I'm trying to jump that gap. I don't know yet if it is too large, guess I'll let you know if I make it to the other side. :)

Brenda

By Geoffrey F. Abert
New To clarify
I do want to do this for myself, also.

But I'm doing what you all have said, and standing up for myself. And believe it or not, it's beginning to work. :)

Too complex to explain now, and I'm sure you don't want to hear, but just know that major breakthroughs are being made, and that's progress. :)

Brenda

By Geoffrey F. Abert
New Contracts for relationships?
That's a big red flag right there.

You're leaving town on the Fucked Up Express.

This is Fucked Up with a capital "Fucked Up".

Stop pissing around with "I can say this, but not say that, and I can email, but not show mom" and start growing up.

This is STUPID.

Peter
[link|http://www.no2id.net/|Don't Let The Terrorists Win]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
     Truly not coping - (Nightowl) - (41)
         OK, vibing away... HTH! -NT - (CRConrad)
         Good vibes on the way - (hnick) - (2)
             Re: Good vibes on the way - (Nightowl) - (1)
                 You'll need less luck if you don't let them kick you around - (hnick)
         Do you drink? If so, have a glass of wine. - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems - (ChrisR) - (1)
                 :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         those folks are not that important, vibes on the way -NT - (boxley)
         Sorry to hear, - (Steve Lowe) - (19)
             Re: Sorry to hear, - (Nightowl) - (18)
                 Here's the plan - (Nightowl) - (17)
                     just ignore Katie - (boxley)
                     The answer I would give them is - (Silverlock)
                     you and your family - (rcareaga)
                     Screw them - (Arkadiy)
                     Here's the answer. - (Another Scott) - (12)
                         Update With Good News! -- and thanks for the input - (Nightowl) - (11)
                             WTH? - (admin) - (9)
                                 Re: WTH? - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                     Chronologically. - (admin)
                                 Short explanation - (Nightowl) - (6)
                                     No it doesn't - (drewk) - (5)
                                         Why, I have before me - - my copy of Dick Feynman's - (Ashton) - (3)
                                             Re: Why, I have before me - - my copy of Dick Feynman's - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                                 Agree.. horse of another color - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                     Re: Agree.. horse of another color - (Nightowl)
                                         To clarify - (Nightowl)
                             Contracts for relationships? - (pwhysall)
         My personal feeling is - (jake123)
         What da Hell? - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
             WTF. I completely concur with Andrew - (jbrabeck)
             Re: What da Hell? - (Nightowl) - (2)
                 Not your responsibility - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                     Owl, before you reply think about this too - (jbrabeck)
         Um... - (ben_tilly) - (3)
             Re: Um... - (Nightowl) - (2)
                 Besides which - (jake123) - (1)
                     I know - (Nightowl)
         You Got it! - (jb4)
         "May the force be with you!" :) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Re: "May the force be with you!" :) - (Nightowl)

Friends, the idle brain is the devil's playground!
90 ms