IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Definitely.
Except possibly in a very rare case where you are selling a "complete" set, a complete set is very rare, and the items in it are of roughtly equal value, you'll bring in more selling one part at a time.

Even in most "complete" situations, there's usually just one or two parts really in demand and people who want those probably already have the rest, so you sell those to make yourself whole and sell the rest as gravy.

The main reason I wouldn't sell the set whole is that bidding on eBay is very erratic. Suppose all you get for the whole set is your reserve, or if no reserve nearly nothing. Your whole set is gone. If you're selling pieces, spaced out in time, some may go out cheap and others end up with furious bidding, so your risk is spread out.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Onesies, twosies, threesies
Within the collection, I could divvy up smaller collections. I have noticed that some of the similar currencies are dated ten years apart. Also, there seems to be a collection of denominations: 5, 10, 20, etc. It is like solving a mystery. What was this person's collection trying to achieve?

My main reason for buying it was to aquire all the currencies made obsolete by the Euro. I figured that would be a good investment someday.

I am intrigued by the Japanese Invasion money, because I know very little about it and there are many pieces that are quite perplexing: Centavos? From Japan? Hmmmm.

Thank you all for your collective input. This is going to be quite a project.

I just hope there is a reeeeaaaalllly rare item that will net a tidy sum. Then I can bring goodies to the next BeepBash!

Peace,
Amy

Oh Freddled Gruntbuggly!
New Another tip
Play games with the categories. It may help. The Perfect Store gives as an example that in early 1999, a sheet of Iwo Jima stamps sold in the stamps category sold for around list price, $10. The same stamps sold in Antiques & Art: Maritime category could sell for $50. That is, people who bought WW II memorabilia were willing to pay more for those stamps than people who bought stamps.

I'd expect that those opportunities for arbitrage are less than they once were, but they probably still exist.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Thanks for the info
I just hope I can get a decent price for this stuff. I'm pretty sure I will at least recapture my investment.

Peace,
Amy

Oh Freddled Gruntbuggly!
New Centavos from Japan?
I have nothing to back this up except my personal knowledge, but if you said "Centavos" from an Asian country, I would first think of the Philippines, with their long and sordid history of being overrun by Spaniards.

If you're sure it's from Japan, though, that makes it that much more interesting...
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New I have, right in hand here . . .
. . . a One Pound note and a One Shilling note issued by Japan. Money for occupied territories during WWII.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New I never claimed to know everything about money...
...just that I like it when I have it. :)

Verra cool.
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
New Also, a query...
...If, during your research, you turn up some good intarweb sites that talk about the value of coins and stuff, I would appreciate if you could send them along. My parents recently moved from NJ to NC, and in their move, I got all of Dad's old coins. Going through them one day, I found some foreign coins, and I have no idea what their value is.

For instance, one of the coins I found was a Five Reichsmark coin dated 1935, with the Third Reich Eagle holding a swastika. My grandfather must have brought this back from Germany during WWII. I figured that might be one of the most expensive pieces in the entire collection, despite the fact that it didn't look to be in such hot condition. Then I looked on eBay. Average price for other Reichsmark coins of the same vintage? US$3.00.

Talk about disappointment.
-YendorMike

New Did you look at "completed" auctions?
I saw one from 1936 that went for $90.00.

Roger willco on the websites, Mike.

I'll bet there are some good books at the library as well. I will be happy to share any and all info that I cull over the next few moons.

Peace,
Amy

Oh Freddled Gruntbuggly!
Expand Edited by imqwerky Oct. 5, 2005, 10:57:35 PM EDT
New Velly intelesting
I'm not an eBayer by any stretch of the imagination. My searching has been limited to going to [link|http://www.ebay.com/|http://www.ebay.com/] and typing in "Reichsmark" in the search for what you're looking for textbox.

If they really are going for more than $3, then perhaps when I get some spare time, I'll go figure out what these things are really worth.

Heh.

"When I get some spare time." As if.
-YendorMike

Who do I trust? - (imqwerky) - (22)
         Find a local apprasier, check stores on the web too. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Thanks! - (imqwerky)
         Why appraise them? - (ben_tilly) - (19)
             Re: Why appraise them? - (imqwerky) - (3)
                 IIRC... - (ben_tilly)
                 OK, I found the research - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                     Yes, I've heard that - people don't like reserves. - (Andrew Grygus)
             Re: Why appraise them? - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 People on eBay will buy anything. - (admin)
             I would think she would get more for the entire collection - (bionerd) - (12)
                 Yep - (imqwerky)
                 Usually not - (ben_tilly) - (10)
                     Definitely. - (Andrew Grygus) - (9)
                         Onesies, twosies, threesies - (imqwerky) - (8)
                             Another tip - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                 Thanks for the info - (imqwerky)
                             Centavos from Japan? - (Yendor) - (2)
                                 I have, right in hand here . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                     I never claimed to know everything about money... - (Yendor)
                             Also, a query... - (Yendor) - (2)
                                 Did you look at "completed" auctions? - (imqwerky) - (1)
                                     Velly intelesting - (Yendor)

Oh look... it's a dork!
59 ms