IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I doubt he was the founder.
And, as far as I know, it's only considered a religion by those who use it as a detracting description. I don't think I've ever met anyone who follows secular humanism. I may be wrong, and probably am because I don't really know what it means in relation to religion. I've only ever seen it applied as a label to others. I can't remember a single instance of anyone ever declaring "I'm a secular humanist". If I knew what it meant and agreed with it, I'd be happy to make that statement however.

<too lazy to look it up>
-----------------------------------------
"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for. As for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican."
-- H. L. Mencken

Support our troops, Impeach Bush.
D. D. Richards
New here ya go
[link|http://www.secularhumanism.org/|http://www.secularhumanism.org/]
\t

What Is Secular Humanism?

Secular Humanism is a term which has come into use in the last thirty years to describe a world view with the following elements and principles:

* A conviction that dogmas, ideologies and traditions, whether religious, political or social, must be weighed and tested by each individual and not simply accepted on faith.
* Commitment to the use of critical reason, factual evidence, and scientific methods of inquiry, rather than faith and mysticism, in seeking solutions to human problems and answers to important human questions.
* A primary concern with fulfillment, growth, and creativity for both the individual and humankind in general.
* A constant search for objective truth, with the understanding that new knowledge and experience constantly alter our imperfect perception of it.
* A concern for this life and a commitment to making it meaningful through better understanding of ourselves, our history, our intellectual and artistic achievements, and the outlooks of those who differ from us.
* A search for viable individual, social and political principles of ethical conduct, judging them on their ability to enhance human well-being and individual responsibility.
* A conviction that with reason, an open marketplace of ideas, good will, and tolerance, progress can be made in building a better world for ourselves and our children.
all the rules of the religious but denying the label :-)
thanx,
bill
Just call me Mr. Lynch \\

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
     Speaking of Volcanoes - (folkert) - (47)
         Is that you, Tom Cruise? -NT - (ben_tilly)
         You will perish in flames, subcreature! - (ChrisR) - (1)
             Are you the Keymaster? -NT - (imqwerky)
         ..have to Be There to get the full flavour - - (Ashton)
         How to make money; Invent a religion - (Silverlock) - (42)
             I've heard a variation - (ben_tilly) - (41)
                 Heinlein founded a religion? - (Silverlock) - (40)
                     secular humanism, didnt appear to make as much as Elron -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                         I doubt he was the founder. - (Silverlock) - (1)
                             here ya go - (boxley)
                     Church of All Worlds - (ben_tilly) - (36)
                         And now for something completely different..... - (imqwerky) - (35)
                             gotta get deep in that pile before you find christian - (boxley) - (6)
                                 And look at mine! - (broomberg) - (2)
                                     bah! not a bloodletter in the bunch :-) -NT - (boxley)
                                     Scary. - (Another Scott)
                                 Petty high on your Islam count there, Box . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                     ICLRPD (new thread) - (Steve Lowe)
                                     Islam is Judaism rewritten by a OTR camel jockey - (boxley)
                             Now that is different. - (folkert)
                             I think it needs just a little work. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                 Also, lumping "don't believe" with "don't know" seems bogus. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                 havnt heard a C of E sermon in a while have you - (boxley)
                             Pretty much as expected - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                                 I guess that makes you a Mainline Protestant, don't it? -NT - (jb4)
                             Another Unitarian (surprised?) - (ben_tilly) - (11)
                                 When in doubt... - (imqwerky) - (10)
                                     Cross a Unitarian and a Jehova's Witness and what happens? - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                                         Re: X a unitarian w/a Jehovah's witness.... - (imqwerky) - (6)
                                             What's with the crappy humor? - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                                 "Wipe" that smile off your face - (imqwerky) - (2)
                                                     A sh** eating grin? - (ChrisR)
                                                     You have to expect... (new thread) - (ben_tilly)
                                                 Just heard that about Baptists... -NT - (imric)
                                             Verily I say unto thee, my Daughter - - (Ashton)
                                         ROFL - shoulda used that at the bash! -NT - (imric) - (1)
                                             Thanks - (imqwerky)
                             First question is missing an answer - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                 Yoko and me. That's reality. -NT - (Another Scott)
                             Unitarian Protestant Hindu Pagan Buddist. - (bionerd) - (1)
                                 ICLRPD (new thread) - (Steve Lowe)
                             Hoo-boy! - (jb4)
                             I've done that one before. - (static)
                             Odd mix I think - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                 A very low Islam count . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                     With such a low count - (tuberculosis)
                                 We came out pretty much the same in the top 10 - (bionerd)

I am LRPD, DESTROYER OF EVIL!
61 ms