IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Yes, I'm using an alias.
My Q is, am I expecting too much? I mean, his PC trouble-shooting skills suck, but I realize that takes time. The other stuff indicates to me that he just can't think. And imo, you can't teach people to think. Which leaves only one alternative and I really, really, really hate to terminate anyone. But I don't see any other option in this case.

I would consider the not calling in on the second sick day minor. It's not a big deal and what is expected in cases like that varies from company to company and boss to boss.

The Ebay thing you don't give enough context to know just how bad it is. If you where talking with him about getting rid of some excess spare parts, then he is just showing a rather limited grasp of how companies work. I would question what he was thinking if it was something he suggested to you out of the blue though.

The other stuff you mention is bad though. Not understanding the difference between Windows 95 and Netware means he doesn't really understand either or what networks and operating systems are. And the thing about not giving the laptop to the VP shows a complete lack of grasp of what is important or how to follow simple directions.

Without knowing more information and background, I don't know if I would fire him. But given what you said, I would certainly be considering it. At the very least, you need to take him aside privately and try to talk some sense into him.

Jay
New the windows and netware comment
shows this person has the makings of a good implementation manager
thanx,
bill
All tribal myths are true, for a given value of "true" Terry Pratchett
[link|http://boxleys.blogspot.com/|http://boxleys.blogspot.com/]

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 48 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
     Yes, I'm using an alias. - (forced2b_phb) - (21)
         Too many details, people will figure this out - (ben_tilly)
         did he pass a drug test? -NT - (boxley)
         Dump him and move on. - (Silverlock)
         If I did half the stuff you listed... - (inthane-chan)
         He doesn't fit in your organization. - (Another Scott)
         Re: Yes, I'm using an alias. - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
             the windows and netware comment - (boxley)
         He's a moron. - (pwhysall)
         Fire him and working on your hiring skills - (dws)
         I am with the consensus. - (folkert)
         Or you could develop a corrective action plan for him - (bionerd) - (4)
             It industry is ripe with these kinds of problems. - (folkert)
             It is best not to warn before a potential firing - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                 Concur, His "best" days (with you) are behind him. -NT - (jbrabeck)
             Sure, he /could/ do that. - (pwhysall)
         Lose him - (broomberg) - (1)
             rubber stamp that post -NT - (boxley)
         Dump him - (tuberculosis) - (3)
             Have you seen things others didn't and they all changed? - (folkert) - (1)
                 It happens - (tuberculosis)
             Something like that even works for a small group - (ben_tilly)

Note for the linguistically-impaired: That was a rhetorical question. (Second note, for the vocabulary-challenged: That means you're not supposed to answer it.)
72 ms