IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New His best work I think

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New Well, that explains that.
That was the first book of his I read. The others, while good, just haven't lived up to it.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the most discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..."
-Isaac Asimov
New Others are kind of hit or miss
They are genarlly all fun. But some are more profound than others.

I just finished The Truth. Very clever takeoff on newspaper industry. Much the way that Moving Pictures was a clever sendup of the movie industry. They're fun, just not quite so soul scratching as Small Gods.

Equal Rites, OTOH, was a wonderful commentary on gender equality.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New Try Carpe Jugulum
--

"Consider a perfectly spherical cow, radiating milk isotropically."

-- [link|http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/002008.html|Language Log]

New I think my favourite is Lords and Ladies.
Although my favourite Granny Weatherwax story is a short-story called "All The Little Fishes". In Lords and Ladies, pterry does what few writers are able to do: he successfully re-invents elves. That alone is worth the price of admission.

The Truth has a marvellous scene where William is facing off the relevant guild head. "The dwarfs and trolls were aware there was a fight in progress but there was no blood."

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New Did it
It was pretty good - but I give it a B+

Why did anyone pray for the Pope? - (warmachine) - (44)
         Prayer is supposed to be as much about acceptance... - (ChrisR)
         Depends on how you look at it. - (Another Scott)
         prayer of thanks in recognition of his contributions - (boxley) - (2)
             Exactly - (bionerd) - (1)
                 Many - What is left? - (broomberg)
         Anyone here catch PBS's ~2 hr. redux Saturday? - (Ashton) - (5)
             The only ambivalent story I saw was at the NY Times. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                 And no Italian restoration? :) - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                     Let's look at the correlation of forces - (rcareaga) - (2)
                         You bad man - (Ashton)
                         I have another idea - (pwhysall)
         Another Popinion - - (Ashton) - (32)
             As young girls my wife and SIL were Catholic. - (Another Scott) - (25)
                 It was probably confession before communion - (bionerd) - (24)
                     All the best people will be there. - (Andrew Grygus)
                     If you haven't read it... - (ben_tilly) - (22)
                         We've had this discussion before - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                             And we still disagree - (ben_tilly)
                         Ummm - (bionerd) - (6)
                             Job - God's little victim -NT - (tuberculosis)
                             Moral: - (imric) - (3)
                                 Today was a perfect example - (broomberg) - (2)
                                     Yes. Sounds like someone I would have liked to know. - (imric)
                                     Condolences. :-( Sounds like she lived a great life. -NT - (Another Scott)
                             The basic story - (ben_tilly)
                         Or_____Small Gods - (Ashton) - (12)
                             Pratchett is VERY highly recommended -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                 Annoyingly DNA-esque to my British mind. -NT - (pwhysall)
                             Oh yes, yes indeed. -NT - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                                 You arent the first to recommend Pratchett to me - (bionerd) - (2)
                                     Move it up the list. Preferably to the top. - (ben_tilly)
                                     Read it - (broomberg)
                             His best work I think -NT - (tuberculosis) - (5)
                                 Well, that explains that. - (inthane-chan) - (4)
                                     Others are kind of hit or miss - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                         Try Carpe Jugulum -NT - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                                             I think my favourite is Lords and Ladies. - (static)
                                             Did it - (tuberculosis)
             What about Hadrian VII? - (rcareaga) - (5)
                 Thanks for the reminder - (GBert)
                 ICLRPD (new thread) - (ben_tilly)
                 On list - (Ashton) - (2)
                     For a fine treatment of New Religion... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         No - Salvation is At Hand!__\ufffd All Hail The Unitarian Jihad \ufffd (new thread) - (Ashton)

Cloaca Cola... oh, that was sooo good.
66 ms