IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New So here's where I'm at...
First jumped the car on Friday, tried to drive it on Saturday, and that's when it failed. Went back out tonight and tried to start the car again - no dice. No charge at all on the battery. Haven't tried to jump it, but the dead battery theory is lookin' pretty darn good.

I will admit to having minimal to no skills in car repair, but I'm willing to learn - sadly I have no garage and minimal storage space. What essential tools would you stock for car repair on a budget?
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the most discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..."
-Isaac Asimov
New Wrenches, Screwdrivers, Voltmeter.
Those things should do you for most simple repairs. You'll probably need metric wrenches for your Volvo. A good adjustable wrench is handy too, but it's tempting to use it when you should use something that won't slip. Needle-nose pliers, diagonal cutters (dikes), a heavy duty pocket knife, and a pair of channel-lock pliers will help cover almost any simple eventuality.

Sets are usually cheaper than buying wrenches (or screwdrivers) individually, but you'll end up with some that you'll never use. The most commonly needed wrenches are 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", 9/16" and 5/8" or their metric equivalents. Buy good ones and you'll never need to buy them again (until they walk off). I don't have much luck with Craftsman screwdrivers - the straight tips often break, and the philips tips often round off. But they've got a lifetime warranty...

If you're going to be doing more than simple things (changing the oil, changing lightbulbs, changing the battery, etc.), then you'll want a decent socket set and a ratchet too.

Sears, Lowes and Home Depot are reasonable places to look. If you know what you're getting, places like Harbor Freight can be a source of bargains - but they sell a lot of junk too. The best tools are from places like Mac and SnapOn, but they're quite expensive and overkill for your needs unless you're doing it for a living.

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New since you dont have kids that will lose the tools
goto sears and get craftsman, they really stand behind the warranty, if it breaks you walk in, no receipt needed they hand you a new one. Bundled socket set is not expensive, look for sale. hammer, screwdrivers adjustable wrench, vice grips, channel locks needlenose and regula pliers.
thanx,
bill
All tribal myths are true, for a given value of "true" Terry Pratchett

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 48 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Re: So here's where I'm at...
As I said, if the battery is really, really dead it'll suck your jumpers dry. You'd get better results pulling one terminal off the battery and just have the jumper connected to it - at least you wouldn't have the drain.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Metric socket wrenches, plus two inchy ones: 1/2" and 9/16"
An adjustable wrench is OK, not just for emergencies but used judicially even in normal maintenance and repair work -- but please, *please*, don't get anything other than a [link|http://www.bahco.com/files/Leaflet%20Adjustable%20Wrenches_ijqrefqqkcekocbournjsajpr.pdf|Bahco]. (Buying one of those really cheap Chinese ones shows one is not just a cheapskate, but stupidly so. If you *insist* on buying a cheap-shit one, at least buy the cheapest-shit German one you can find.)

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New Concur with "don't buy cheap" Been there. Ain't worth it.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail ... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
New It depends.
Sometimes you need a BMF socket. You need a 1" ratchet and socket set. But you need it maybe once in 20 years.

In a situation like that, I would closely investigate something like [link|http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=2522|this] 1" impact socket set for $60 rather than spending $600 for a comparable (but larger) set at Sears.

For tools that you'll be using frequently, I heartily agree that high quality is better - meaning more than a lifetime warranty. High quality materials, good design, and careful construction.

Cheers,
Scott.
New with kids, get the cheapest set wherever, several times
All tribal myths are true, for a given value of "true" Terry Pratchett

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 48 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New That's why I made the point only in regards to that...
...one specific tool: It really is the one that will get most use.

(Yes, *of course* you should always use the correct fixed-size wrench wherever you can. But even if you do that, *each single* fixed-size wrench only gets as much use as the frequency of encounters you have with that exact size of bolt -- whereas with the adjustable one... :-)

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New Call it by it's correct name
Adjustable wrench == knuckle buster.

ALso increases your vocabulary.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail ... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
New OK: "Skiftnyckel". HTH! :-)
New Not to wory about knuckles . .
. . an adjustable wrench won't fit anywhere in a recent car - there just isn't room. You can use it maybe on battery terminals.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
     Dead Volvo - any suggestions? - (inthane-chan) - (41)
         Quick burial, preferably at night. With a flickering lantern - (jake123)
         Sounds like the battery, or maybe the alternator. - (Another Scott)
         If the voltage is up to snuff . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         Battery - (Steve Lowe) - (7)
             Not quite - (inthane-chan) - (6)
                 Then it's the starter, solenoid, or solenoid wiring - (Another Scott) - (3)
                     He says he's getting a loud 'click' . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         Always carry a penknife for this. Scraping. then put em on. -NT - (folkert)
                         All true, but it depends what *kind* of click... - (CRConrad)
                 ahh--if I'd only read ALL of your original post... - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                     No need for the store. - (Andrew Grygus)
         My guess: The solenoid. - (CRConrad)
         No, it has to be the muffler bearings. -NT - (admin) - (4)
             Thane: Try constantly fromaging the bitumogenous spandrels. -NT - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 Oh come on - (jake123) - (2)
                     It'll be OK. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Don't forget the negative power couplings... :-) -NT - (static)
         Switch Battery with wife's car - (jbrabeck) - (6)
             OT: ^^^^ Post #200,000! -NT - (Yendor) - (5)
                 And we wasted it on that? (No offense intended ;-) -NT - (drewk) - (4)
                     Ok, so what did I win? -NT - (jbrabeck) - (3)
                         Why an LRPD of course. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             ICLRPD (new thread) - (Steve Lowe)
                         ICLRPD (new thread) - (Steve Lowe)
         stick with andrew - (boxley)
         So here's where I'm at... - (inthane-chan) - (11)
             Wrenches, Screwdrivers, Voltmeter. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 since you dont have kids that will lose the tools - (boxley)
             Re: So here's where I'm at... - (Andrew Grygus)
             Metric socket wrenches, plus two inchy ones: 1/2" and 9/16" - (CRConrad) - (7)
                 Concur with "don't buy cheap" Been there. Ain't worth it. -NT - (jbrabeck) - (6)
                     It depends. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                         with kids, get the cheapest set wherever, several times -NT - (boxley)
                         That's why I made the point only in regards to that... - (CRConrad) - (3)
                             Call it by it's correct name - (jbrabeck) - (2)
                                 OK: "Skiftnyckel". HTH! :-) -NT - (CRConrad)
                                 Not to wory about knuckles . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         Suggestions? Yes - easier to think than shotgun, usually. - (Ashton)
         Been a week, what's happened? -NT - (jbrabeck) - (2)
             No time to look at it. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                 Dead battery. -NT - (inthane-chan)

Got root?
68 ms