IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New After reading the whole thread....
They may be wanting the PL/SQL and/or stored procedures to isolate the table structures from the application.

In a lot of places, that kind of interface can be a good thing, 'cause they can change the table structure without causing you pain.

But it's development overhead to do it.

As to writing files directly from PL/SQL, we do it in some database triggers and they are a BEAR to maintain. Bring up the fact that any database patch/upgrade will require the packages to be recompiled. If the file locations change, the PL/SQL has to change, etc.

Our Perl uses configuration files to dynamically set values like the filename pattern, directory, etc. and our business analysts even update the config files.

But, when you're an Oracle DBA and the only tool you know is Oracle, then it must be done in PL/SQL.

Glen
Expand Edited by gdaustin March 12, 2005, 12:31:16 PM EST
New There is no THEY
There is me. My project, my headache, my development.

And there is an overreaching DBA who we borrowed for a simple Oracle install.

Which was a mistake.

He ended up installing clustering stuff that modified the inittab that needed to be turned off. Which meant he was so clueless that he had no business touching my box.
New Ugh.
[link|http://forfree.sytes.net|
]
Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New ya dinna cluster unless directed to do so explicitly
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 48 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Yes there is...
The overreaching DBA and his interventionist management.

But if you really think it's just the "he", then it's time to dispense with him and install Oracle yourself, or bring in your own contractor. Installing Oracle is not that hard.

Unfortunately, I'm at a "big company" and we're not permitted that option. The DBA "must" install. We have a couple of lab machines, not on the corporate "server" network and I started an Oracle install there. I had one quick question for the DBA about a standards doc, and then she was on to me. After that, it went downhill quickly. Next time, I'll just do it the way I think it should be done.

The DBA did complement me that my install was exactly as she would have done it, but she owns it now. Even on the lab machine.

She lets me pick the development language, and pretty much just makes sure the database continues to operate and not run out of space. I was angry a while back because it was performing terrible and she didn't know the difference between "analyze" statistics and "gather" statistics. Know she knows, after I sent her the page number of the Performance tuning manual.

Glen Austin
Expand Edited by gdaustin March 12, 2005, 06:17:48 PM EST
New You have to remeber how we are organised
We have a business unit that does marketing databases.
He works "there".
We have a print unit that does direct mail.
I work "here".

I've probably got far more experience installing and maintaining Oracle instances than him, but I'm a busy guy, he's not, so I figured I could let him do it.

So I asked for his time up the chain, over the wall, down the chain.

He has no ownership of it, and when it crashes, it will fall to me to make it right.
     Job language choices - (broomberg) - (31)
         You should be using control tables. - (admin) - (2)
             Surely you meant to say "SmallTalk"? -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 you mean Smalltalk? -NT - (tuberculosis)
         typical DBA response - (boxley)
         Yeah, that calls for choice language. -NT - (Arkadiy)
         Someone else should carefully take him aside... - (ben_tilly) - (15)
             Won't happen - (broomberg) - (14)
                 Difference between can and should - (JayMehaffey)
                 Got it - (ben_tilly)
                 of course there is always room for sql queries - (boxley) - (3)
                     C w/ nested SQL - (broomberg) - (2)
                         Well there's the problem - (drewk) - (1)
                             He has Perl people - (broomberg)
                 I feel your pain re command-line/shell phobia - (Meerkat) - (7)
                     Now, I'm all weird on this. - (pwhysall) - (4)
                         I have my Happy Hacking keyboard here at work. - (static) - (3)
                             No good for me. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                 I used a real VT320 for a while in a previous job. - (static) - (1)
                                     Re: I used a real VT320 for a while in a previous job. - (pwhysall)
                     Us Old-timers report: - (Ashton) - (1)
                         Ctrl-= - subscript Ctrl-+ - superscript - (Arkadiy)
         <Pssst.> - (Another Scott)
         Who does have the responsibility to pick language? - (tablizer) - (2)
             Not a chance - (broomberg) - (1)
                 But he's *got* a good reason - (drewk)
         After reading the whole thread.... - (gdaustin) - (5)
             There is no THEY - (broomberg) - (4)
                 Ugh. -NT - (imric)
                 ya dinna cluster unless directed to do so explicitly -NT - (boxley)
                 Yes there is... - (gdaustin) - (1)
                     You have to remeber how we are organised - (broomberg)

Chinese Bookmarks of DOOM!
179 ms