IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Paper to Excel
Lots and lots of paper........
"I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers."
New Aren't undergrads cheap?
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Hey, this is what they pay me the big bucks!
"I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers."
New Outsource yourself
Find three typists in Bangladesh. Email them scans of the work each night, get it in your inbox in the morning. Pay them half of what you get, take on three times the work. Everybody wins.

[image|/forums/images/warning.png|0|This is sarcasm...]

Maybe
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New That is NOT a sarcastic answer
I was going to suggest something like it, but with a twist.
All 3 keyers key in the same data.
A program compares the 3 results, and allows the matches to be tagged as correct.
The only downside is the possibility of certain types of data (numerically intensive) that multiple people can have the same typos over.

I did essentially the same thing by downloading a database over noisy come lines via a scrolling screen capture.
Pulled 50 MB of data with NO error checking and lots of lines "bursts", perfectly.
New Too late
Project is done, thank God. On to bigger and better things. I absolutely cannot stand glaring into a computer monitor all day. Dont know how you guys do it.
New It is easy...
We have all developed immunity to its effect.

Why else do you think most of us are classified as "geek" or "guru" or "god" or some cobimnation of the three?
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey

[link|http://it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=134485&cid=11233230|"Microsoft Security" is an even better oxymoron than "Military Intelligence"]
No matter how much Microsoft supporters whine about how Linux and other operating systems have just as many bugs as their operating systems do, the bottom line is that the serious, gut-wrenching problems happen on Windows, not on Linux, not on Mac OS. -- [link|http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1622086,00.asp|source]
New I think of the monitor as a window
Into a world that is a lot more intellectually stimulating than the outside. Of course I also make sure to go and enjoy that outside as well.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Easy - we keep hoping for new messages from people like you
to help us move a little bit forwards through our dreary little lives.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 05:52:40 AM EDT
New That's the nicest thing I've heard all week.
Thanks.
New Todd succeeds it. You fail it.
:-)

Peter
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu Linux]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
New Interesting choice of words
> I absolutely cannot stand glaring into a computer monitor all day.

You are "glaring"? Or the screen has "glare"?

My screens don't. Work in a dim room, indirect lighting, never any light behind me to reflect.

> Dont know how you guys do it.

First of all, I don't do data entry. Ever.

I spend a LOT more time thinking and reading than I do typing.
Probably by a factor of 100.

I also almost never use the phone when I am at the office. If I want to talk to someone I jump up and go over to their area. That way I get my answers very quickly, and I get a bit of exercise. It annoys the hell out of people who want to hide from me, though.

I also will take several breaks a day and merely wander around. If my boss asks me what I'm doing, I reply: Wasting time while I decompress.

New I call those "non-smoking breaks", since I don't smoke. :-)

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New Because I hated the damn project so much
I glared at the computer. And snarled. And cursed. And rubbed my aching temples and my numb ass. "Glare" was the perfect word.
New Which worsened your impression of computers...
Creating a feedback loop.
  1. You hate projects involving lots of computer time.
  2. By association you learn to hate the idea of lots of computer time.
  3. When presented with a project involving lots of computer time, you stress about all of that computer time that you'll have to face.
  4. Leading you to hate the project involving lots of computer time.

Cheers,
Ben
New Give her a break - she was using excel
Any MS product will do that to a person after awhile.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 05:55:21 AM EDT
New True
     I've been sitting in front of this computer all day. - (bionerd) - (31)
         Hunter/gatherer societies got by on 6 hours of work a week - (drewk)
         take 2 assburns and call me in the morning -NT - (boxley)
         My wife and I were happy for twenty years. - (Another Scott)
         You've probably heard it, but it has to do with biology, ... - (a6l6e6x)
         I'll tell you true stories - (ben_tilly) - (2)
             Oh, this is so rich! - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                 :-) -NT - (ben_tilly)
         :-) - (bionerd) - (23)
             ICLRPD (new thread) - (Steve Lowe)
             hrm - (Steve Lowe) - (2)
                 It's where she keeps her head? - (drewk) - (1)
                     Not me - (bionerd)
             Explain the data entry - (broomberg) - (18)
                 paper to electronic I would guess, setting up experimental - (boxley)
                 Paper to Excel - (bionerd) - (16)
                     Aren't undergrads cheap? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (15)
                         Hey, this is what they pay me the big bucks! -NT - (bionerd) - (14)
                             Outsource yourself - (drewk) - (13)
                                 That is NOT a sarcastic answer - (broomberg) - (12)
                                     Too late - (bionerd) - (11)
                                         It is easy... - (folkert)
                                         I think of the monitor as a window - (ben_tilly)
                                         Easy - we keep hoping for new messages from people like you - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                             That's the nicest thing I've heard all week. - (bionerd) - (1)
                                                 Todd succeeds it. You fail it. - (pwhysall)
                                         Interesting choice of words - (broomberg) - (5)
                                             I call those "non-smoking breaks", since I don't smoke. :-) -NT - (static)
                                             Because I hated the damn project so much - (bionerd) - (3)
                                                 Which worsened your impression of computers... - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                     Give her a break - she was using excel - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                                         True -NT - (ben_tilly)

You've got a lot of repressed feelings, don't you?
96 ms