IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The thing is
they claim to be.

After reading the article, I think the author needs to apply Occam's Razor to the problem. The actual situation is that most of the people who claim to be Christian aren't. For most people, their church is a social club, not faith.

For example, the author is still willing to condemn those who cohabitate. Now, according to the article, fully one in five evangelicals think adultery in marriage is OK. I'm not even married, and I would never consider fooling around on my partner, and have not, despite over two years of separation while I go to school.

Who's more Christian, the person who observes the rituals but ignores the precepts, or the person who ignores the rituals but follows the precepts? Most of the evangelical movement in the US seems to be made up of the former, not the latter.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New Interesting point
Who's more Christian, the person who observes the rituals but ignores the precepts, or the person who ignores the rituals but follows the precepts? Most of the evangelical movement in the US seems to be made up of the former, not the latter.

That is a religious question itself, and one that might play into the evangelical belief that grace is more important then works. Evangelicals may be more willing to overlook errors of precepts then somebody who centers their beliefs on the importance of works.

At the very least, history shows them as being easier to manipulate by leaders who can follow the rituals despite lack of commitment to precepts.

Jay
     Evangelical xians no better than everyone else - (tuberculosis) - (16)
         This is surprising? - (imric) - (6)
             Ignore - (tuberculosis)
             Pushy self righteous people who claim to know a better way - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                 *shrug* - (imric) - (1)
                     Well.. the hypocrisy thing is pretty universal - (Ashton)
             The thing is - (jake123) - (1)
                 Interesting point - (JayMehaffey)
         The prescription: More of the same -NT - (ben_tilly)
         On the same topic, sort of. - (ubernostrum) - (7)
             Ah.. so then - (Ashton) - (6)
                 Status quo? - (ubernostrum) - (5)
                     Sorry, you got atheism wrong - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                         Re: Sorry, you got atheism wrong - (ubernostrum) - (3)
                             And there is the fallacy :-) - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                 Re: And there is the fallacy :-) - (ubernostrum) - (1)
                                     True -NT - (ben_tilly)

Whelmed.
41 ms