IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Maybe not.
Remember [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=188733|this]?

Now a case from Christianity. Many evangelicals stress an apocalyptic verse in the second epistle of Peter which ends: \ufffdthe Earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.\ufffd If it's all going to be consumed by fire, some evangelicals say, then why worry about pollution or climate change? But the oldest existing version of the New Testament, long preserved at St Catherine's monastery on Mount Sinai and now (most of it) in the British Library, has a different Greek verb for the Earth's fate: evretesetai, not katakaesetai. Instead of being burned up, the Earth will be uncovered, its true nature exposed. That, too, is a difference worth studying, for both believers and everyone else.

Emphasis added.

I doubt that you can point to anyone in particular in the Bush administration that advocates destroying the Earth to hasten the apocalypse. Care to try to surprise me?

From what I've read of the Frontline transcripts, and your comments here, you seem to have accepted some caricature of Bush's faith as reality. [link|http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/jesus/interviews/green.html|E.g.]:

[John Green:] [...]

So President Bush, in some sense, stands astride the major Protestant traditions in the United States. [But] \ufffdbecause President Bush has such strong religious beliefs and talks about his faith so explicitly, many people want to categorize him. They want to figure out what religious community or religious tradition he belongs to.

It's a difficult thing to do, because President Bush, in many respects, partakes of a number of different religious traditions. He's a member of the United Methodist Church. He's very closely connected to the Wesleyan tradition, and that leads him to lean a little bit towards mainline Protestantism. On the other hand, he's had a personally transforming experience.
\t
He talks about how his faith changed his life and how he'd like faith to change other people's lives, and that puts him a little bit more in the evangelical camp. President Bush hasn't actually told us where he stands -- perhaps because he isn't entirely sure himself, because he draws from a variety of different perspectives, but also because it may not be the best thing to do politically to identify with one or another religious tradition when, in fact, he can identify with several. In his political activity, he often strides across different religious boundaries and can, therefore, appeal to people from different religious backgrounds.

[Frontline:]Evangelicals claim him as one of their own. They feel they have an ally in the White House.

There's no question that the evangelical community has an ally in President Bush on a number of different issues, and in terms of basic values. There is a great deal of commonality between President Bush and evangelicals. Technically speaking, though, President Bush is a mainline Protestant, from the more conservative or traditional, or, if you will, evangelical wing of mainline Protestantism, but not really part of the core of the evangelical community, as scholars tend to understand it.

So there is a sense in which evangelicals are claiming somebody who really isn't part of their religious community, but someone who shares many of their values, who certainly understands them well, and shares a number of their religious beliefs.

[Frontline:]And while he walks in both worlds, he also differs from both.

Certainly, President Bush differs from his own denomination, from the United Methodist Church, in that he doesn't adopt a lot of its official positions. For instance, he is pro-life on abortion, whereas United Methodists tend to be pro-choice. He disagrees with many Methodists on social welfare issues, and Methodists have a long tradition of supporting the welfare state. President Bush [is] very critical of the welfare state. On foreign policy, President Bush has a somewhat more aggressive foreign policy than many Methodists would agree with.

But if you compare him to the evangelical community, he doesn't completely agree with them either. For instance, when it comes to issues like how the government should relate to the gay population. President Bush is much more tolerant -- unwilling to stigmatize people. When asked about the gay community, for instance, President Bush will often say, "Well, we have to recognize that we're all sinners and we shouldn't be critical of one another, and we need to be tolerant of each other."

On a number of other issues, even on abortion, President Bush is unwilling to commit himself to, say, a constitutional amendment to abolish abortions, which evangelicals would really like to see. He has a much more moderate position on abortion. So on a variety of issues, he contradicts both the mainline Protestant position and the evangelical Protestant position.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
New In point of fact, you may be correct.
I have to admit that what frightens me most about the rise of the religious right is that they have a say in our body politic now - and a very powerful one. Rove's genius this time was getting the "gay marriage" initiatives on the ballots in key states. That brought the fundies out in droves and (most likely, history will tell us for sure) tipped the scales in good ol' dub's favor. Now, even if I yield on the point that I overestimated how much of a fundie dub himself is, it is still quite clear that he owes much to the fundie right. And that, all by itself and without regard to his personal views, is alarming enough. I don't have a link, but it has been widely reported that the single best indicator of whom you voted for was whether you attend church regularly. That is scary.

[Edit - just had to]

I doubt that you can point to anyone in particular in the Bush administration that advocates destroying the Earth to hasten the apocalypse. Care to try to surprise me?

Have you taken a look at any of the Bush Admin's environmental policies? </smirk>
bcnu,
Mikem

Eine Leute. Eine Welt. Ein F\ufffdhrer.
(Just trying to be accepted in the New America)
Expand Edited by mmoffitt Jan. 10, 2005, 09:35:18 PM EST
     "Kind of a Shame" - article - (dmcarls) - (163)
         Also linked there - - (Ashton) - (162)
             Right... - (bepatient) - (157)
                 Ha! - (imric) - (156)
                     Wrong. - (bepatient) - (155)
                         Keep telling yourself that - (GBert) - (2)
                             What evidence? - (bepatient) - (1)
                                 I have no evidence myself - (GBert)
                         Oh. So Kerry bullied Bush. Bwahahaha! - (imric) - (151)
                             Interesting. - (bepatient) - (150)
                                 Listen to YOU. - (imric) - (147)
                                     I don't think you understand. - (bepatient) - (146)
                                         I do - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                                             Not wrong. - (bepatient)
                                         And I know you don't. - (imric) - (143)
                                             The pity is that there will be. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                             Well, you're meeting wrong people. - (Arkadiy) - (141)
                                                 With her vote, she hates the Constitution more. :-( -NT - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                                     Thanks for continuing to make my point. -NT - (bepatient) - (4)
                                                         Q 4 U. - (mmoffitt)
                                                         yep... - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
                                                             Well they could have... - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                 I thought.... - (Simon_Jester)
                                                 Mmm hmm. - (imric) - (134)
                                                     Answers - (Arkadiy) - (133)
                                                         Fair enough. - (imric) - (2)
                                                             It's a free country. You're entitled to your own opinion. - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                                                 ROFL. Hate? - (imric)
                                                         "lesser evil"?????? - (mmoffitt) - (129)
                                                             Why don't you link to that quote. - (bepatient) - (128)
                                                                 Why would one require a 'link' to a tenet which - (Ashton)
                                                                 Time crunch. Edited for those w/attention spans of Mayflies. - (mmoffitt) - (125)
                                                                     Ahhh...so - (bepatient) - (124)
                                                                         Beep? - (imric) - (3)
                                                                             Izzat - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                 ..and some love their little dog, Blondi -NT - (Ashton)
                                                                                 PERSONALLY, I don't think it's relevent. to the job - (imric)
                                                                         So Herman's lying. Wait, lemme guess.... - (mmoffitt) - (119)
                                                                             so we had a choice between going to hell and - (daemon) - (118)
                                                                                 WTF? Your medication getting low again? - (mmoffitt) - (117)
                                                                                     your implication of the tendancies of a born again christian - (daemon) - (116)
                                                                                         I c. But, I haven't found anything that suggests Kerry ... - (mmoffitt) - (115)
                                                                                             It's funny - (imric)
                                                                                             I think you're making too much of that. - (Another Scott) - (113)
                                                                                                 That was Presidential Candidate Bush. - (mmoffitt) - (112)
                                                                                                     Some of the best people you'd ever meet are born again. - (Another Scott) - (39)
                                                                                                         Ahh, the critical statement - (broomberg) - (15)
                                                                                                             There are good and evil non-believers too. ;-) - (Another Scott) - (14)
                                                                                                                 Oh, I agree - (broomberg) - (13)
                                                                                                                     Wrong - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                                                                                                         It depends... - (ben_tilly)
                                                                                                                     Are you defining "true believers" - (imric) - (10)
                                                                                                                         If the dogma includes hell - (broomberg) - (9)
                                                                                                                             *sigh* "The Dogma"? - (imric) - (8)
                                                                                                                                 I dunno - (broomberg) - (7)
                                                                                                                                     "the difference is the true believers believe - (imric) - (3)
                                                                                                                                         link - (daemon) - (2)
                                                                                                                                             {chortle} - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                 Heck, even CRC calls himself Christian! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                                                                                                                                     Merely existense og hell - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                                                                                                                         Ha! :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                                                                                                     Love. It. - (Ashton)
                                                                                                         Beg to differ. - (mmoffitt) - (22)
                                                                                                             The problem is your bigotry. - (imric) - (14)
                                                                                                                 Pretty loose slathering of 'bigotry', - (Ashton) - (13)
                                                                                                                     I call Strawman - (Arkadiy)
                                                                                                                     bigotry: n - (imric) - (11)
                                                                                                                         ICLRPD (new thread) - (bepatient)
                                                                                                                         Oh Pshaw - - (Ashton) - (9)
                                                                                                                             A+B+C=mmoffit, ash. Like it or not. - (imric) - (8)
                                                                                                                                 Re: A+B+C=mmoffit, ash. Like it or not. - (bepatient) - (7)
                                                                                                                                     Pope's OK - unlikely ever to drop a nuke. The others ??? -NT - (Ashton) - (6)
                                                                                                                                         Pope is very happy that you aprove of him. -NT - (Arkadiy)
                                                                                                                                         Remember the bumper sticker? - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                                                                                                                             nuke all the unborn gay whales, revisionist stickerman you -NT - (daemon) - (3)
                                                                                                                                                 I got yer sticker raght cheer. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                                                                                                                     great I ordered 2, what kind of car you got again? :-) -NT - (daemon) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                         On a car in Indiana, those will get you shot! -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                                                                             See 62232 and 65768. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                                                                                                 Example - (broomberg) - (1)
                                                                                                                     :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                                                                                 There was a difference in 1975. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                                                                                     I am not a born again - (daemon) - (1)
                                                                                                                         Re: I am not a born again - (bepatient)
                                                                                                                 Unclear on the baggage mix. - (Ashton)
                                                                                                     Right. - (bepatient) - (70)
                                                                                                         1600 of our militia know he is dangerous. - (mmoffitt) - (69)
                                                                                                             Nice subject change - (bepatient) - (68)
                                                                                                                 <sigh> - (mmoffitt) - (67)
                                                                                                                     Thanks for clearing that up. -NT - (bepatient)
                                                                                                                     So those that do not believe as you do should be banned - (imric) - (59)
                                                                                                                         Not at all. - (mmoffitt) - (58)
                                                                                                                             Bah. Ideology Police? Thought Police? - (imric) - (57)
                                                                                                                                 Almost. - (mmoffitt) - (51)
                                                                                                                                     But only >certain< people. - (bepatient)
                                                                                                                                     Oh. Instead your dictatorship would be based upon - (imric) - (49)
                                                                                                                                         Reduced to its simplest form. - (mmoffitt) - (48)
                                                                                                                                             Maybe not. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                 In point of fact, you may be correct. - (mmoffitt)
                                                                                                                                             wow, excludes communists, hindoo's, muslims christians - (daemon) - (12)
                                                                                                                                                 You are killing me. - (mmoffitt) - (11)
                                                                                                                                                     ya sure you want to go there? - (daemon) - (3)
                                                                                                                                                         That's not exactly calling for it. More like lamenting. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                             you mean lamentations 1-5? :-) -NT - (daemon)
                                                                                                                                                         BTW, thanks for the link. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                                                                                                                     Oh Mike, Mike - (Arkadiy) - (6)
                                                                                                                                                         I've never apologized for being me ;-) - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                                                                                                                                             As Ben pointed out - (Arkadiy) - (4)
                                                                                                                                                                 But you assume Capitalism == the world. And it doesn't ;0) -NT - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                                                                                                                                     And you assume that this weary existance is "world" ;o) -NT - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                                                                                                                                                                         I yield to the better argument ;0) -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                                                                                                                                         Tilt. Error 666: metaphysical change-of-scale. -NT - (Ashton)
                                                                                                                                             Bull. - (imric) - (21)
                                                                                                                                                 Just watch ONE Jack Van Emp television show. Just one. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                                                                                                                                     Give details. Quote fact. - (imric) - (4)
                                                                                                                                                         It's Impe, btw. Sorry. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                                                                                                                             Bah. Looking forward is NOT 'to bring it about' - (imric) - (2)
                                                                                                                                                                 See my first 2 paragraphs of my reply to Ben. (link) - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                                     Rationalize all you want. - (imric)
                                                                                                                                                 uh, sorry to burst your bubble - (daemon) - (14)
                                                                                                                                                     Never heard one. - (imric) - (13)
                                                                                                                                                         Enough to elect Dubya. And that is too damned many. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                                                                                                                             So he was elected to 'destroy the world'? Pfah. -NT - (imric) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                                 If he was, he's succeeding. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                                                                                                                         demographics - (daemon) - (9)
                                                                                                                                                             OK - that's 1 number. - (imric) - (8)
                                                                                                                                                                 Here's another number. - (a6l6e6x) - (7)
                                                                                                                                                                     And how many are urged to bring about the conditions - (imric) - (6)
                                                                                                                                                                         At least this one: - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                                                                                                                                                                             Oh dear...will lithium help? - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                                                 (Seems to be only enough for the Red States, currently) -NT - (Ashton)
                                                                                                                                                                         I predicted something once. After I saw Bigfoot. - (Ashton)
                                                                                                                                                                         Is it Evil to allow destruction when you can prevent it? -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                                                                                                                                         if its time to push the button it gets pushed, or not - (daemon)
                                                                                                                                             Now there's a wrong-headed philosophy - (ben_tilly) - (10)
                                                                                                                                                 No it isn't. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                                                                                                                     And you remain wrong - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                                                                                                         OT: Branch this, please. - (pwhysall)
                                                                                                                                                         The arrogance of youth. - (mmoffitt)
                                                                                                                                                 Re: Now there's a wrong-headed ... lateral arabesque? - (Ashton) - (5)
                                                                                                                                                     The point you may have missed - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                                                                                                                                         I understand your point. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                                                                                                                             Mike, listen to yourself. - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                                 Sorry. - (mmoffitt)
                                                                                                                                                             Moving on ---> to metaphysics and The non-Spotless Mind (new thread) - (Ashton)
                                                                                                                                 he is a neoconn, just a little left of them thats all :-) -NT - (daemon) - (4)
                                                                                                                                     It's a ring thing - (Arkadiy)
                                                                                                                                     I am not a Bolshevik! - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                                                                                                         bolshevits maybe? - (daemon) - (1)
                                                                                                                                             Sign me up ;0) -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                                                                                     Banned how? - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                                                                                                                         Executed as illegal combatants, perhaps? </sarcasm> - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                                                                                             Nope, all we need is Das Kapital - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                                                                                                                 Nope. What is to be done? ;0) -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                                                                                         Banned in mmofitt's dreams - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                                                                                                             Indeed. More is the pity. :-( -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                                                                     Just to clarify. - (Another Scott)
                                                                 No link from me but - (lincoln)
                                 Applause. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                     If we ever meet at Beep's - (daemon)
             Sometimes a crumb falls... - (dmcarls) - (3)
                 100% predictable.. a mere bagatelle - (Ashton) - (2)
                     So true... - (bepatient) - (1)
                         Wow! a blizzard of sententious sonnets - (Ashton)

I ripped my pants!
142 ms