I have to admit that what frightens me most about the rise of the religious right is that they have a say in our body politic now - and a very powerful one. Rove's genius this time was getting the "gay marriage" initiatives on the ballots in key states. That brought the fundies out in droves and (most likely, history will tell us for sure) tipped the scales in good ol' dub's favor. Now, even if I yield on the point that I overestimated how much of a fundie dub himself is, it is still quite clear that he owes much to the fundie right. And that, all by itself and without regard to his personal views, is alarming enough. I don't have a link, but it has been widely reported that the single best indicator of whom you voted for was whether you attend church regularly. That is scary.

[Edit - just had to]

I doubt that you can point to anyone in particular in the Bush administration that advocates destroying the Earth to hasten the apocalypse. Care to try to surprise me?

Have you taken a look at any of the Bush Admin's environmental policies? </smirk>