IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Conversely
I had a guy working for me who score really well on the IQ test. Was very proud of his IQ. He had no common sense and no people skills. Ended up firing him after I cought him arguing with a customer over a minor point. Customer was correct!
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail ... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
New WTF is "Common Sense"?
People use that phrase all the time, but no one seems able to define it. I decided long ago that "common sense" was as meaningless as an arbitrary number on an IQ test.

I mean, if "common sense" is what is "commonly known", then surely anyone with common sense would, in comparison to the arbitrary numbers supplied by the various IQ tests, have an IQ of 100. Yet, people who use the phrase "common sense" frequently imply that "common sense" exists outside the realm of the customarily accepted definition of intellect. So, what exactly is meant by "common sense"?

Not that it matters ;0)
bcnu,
Mikem

Eine Leute. Eine Welt. Ein F\ufffdhrer.
(Just trying to be accepted in the New America)
New Easy
Common sense is a termed applied by someone who wants to call someone else stupid.

They take an example of a bit of knowledge they have. And then assume all people should have it. Which in turn allows them to say the person that does not have it does not have "common sense". IE: They are stupid.

I work for someone (consulting) who will often forget to give me direction in a given area. So I will extract out of him the info I need. I will do this again and again, to make sure I have not missed something. He'll often try to tell me it is common sense and I should just know it. I respond to him that when I blow 10 hours programming something he does not want, it is going to cost him. Then he is quite willing to spend more time explaining.
New Re: Easy
They take an example of a bit of knowledge they have. And then assume all people should have it. Which in turn allows them to say the person that does not have it does not have "common sense". IE: They are stupid.

Yep, sounds about right to me. See, I claim to have no common sense, i.e. I don't seem to know what everyone seems to think I should. So in turn, some people call me stupid. Other people call me sheltered. Either way, I didn't learn the things that people think I should have, either because I wasn't exposed to them, or I didn't care at the time.

Brenda

"It's not where a person stands in time of comfort and security, but rather where they stand in times of strife and controversy that determine true friends."
(Quote sent to me by a true friend, author unknown).
New Common Sense
When talking to a client - do you tell them off?

When talking to your boss - do you tell him that you're smarter than him and that you'd never hire him (the boss).

Two examples of what things that this guy did. IMHO, those are two "common sense" things that you don't do.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail ... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
New Ah. For you: "Common Sense" == "Situational Awareness". ;0)
bcnu,
Mikem

Eine Leute. Eine Welt. Ein F\ufffdhrer.
(Just trying to be accepted in the New America)
New Easy? Not.
Seems usually to imply the employment of 'conventional wisdom' - the not-Easy part being: that is no wiser than is conventional thought, generally.

I think the term is also entwined with the built-in antiintellectual bias in Murican genes. Am reminded of a story, possibly even true, re Edison - interviewing candidates for his lab. Gave them each a light bulb and asked them to measure its volume. All sorts of geometry/calculus formulae were trotted out.

The winner (of the job slot, I guess) immersed the bulb in a (wide enough) graduated cylinder of water, subtracted and gave a close-enough answer.

So.. which was the "common sense" approach?

Another conundrum for ya - since hierarchical systems -via which we run Everything- spawn Rules & Regulations for all conceivable and inconceivable circumstances, furnishing needed work to manual writers:

Describe a 'common sense' approach to "airport security 2004". Compare that with pro forma. Now is criticism of the current plan the same as, accusing the spawners of the current Master Plan, of being stupid? or is it just common sense criticism..?

(Common sense will tell you to turn a motorcycle handlebar to the right - to turn right.. What you really do is quite different. ;-)

Rest case. What I think most people really mean by 'common sense' is: "what would you do that might actually Work?" If it does work: you used common sense or maybe.. uncommon sense. (Of course, this is of no help whatsoever, in a Windows installation. It might not work the same way thrice.. But Management would neither know this nor believe this - so You are wrong, frequently. Y.P.B.)

I, likely lacking in common sense.
New You know: Not calling MrDumass "Mr Dumbass" at an interview.
[link|http://www.awrootbeer.com/multimedia/mr-dumass.mov|A&W Rootbeer Commercial] (.mov).

Cheers,
Scott.
     help and opinions please - (daemon) - (33)
         My $0.02. - (Another Scott) - (3)
             thanx, that link was what I got from a cursorary search - (daemon) - (2)
                 Explain threats - (broomberg) - (1)
                     mail sent, best keep it offline -NT - (daemon)
         "innovative background"? - (a6l6e6x)
         Here ya go - (broomberg) - (3)
             Ports aren't even filtered... - (folkert) - (2)
                 Sgt. Esterhaus: "Hey - Let's be careful out there." -NT - (Another Scott)
                 got it covered -NT - (daemon)
         "a certified Mensa I.Q."? - (ben_tilly) - (22)
             Heh.. thanks.____again. - (Ashton) - (21)
                 I have a toy model I've considered publishing... - (ben_tilly) - (20)
                     "Until this moment, Senator, I think I never really gauged - (Ashton)
                     I always considered mensa underachievers unanimus -NT - (broomberg) - (16)
                         I'd be a moron by their standards. - (pwhysall) - (13)
                             Conversely - (jbrabeck) - (7)
                                 WTF is "Common Sense"? - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                                     Easy - (broomberg) - (4)
                                         Re: Easy - (Nightowl)
                                         Common Sense - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                                             Ah. For you: "Common Sense" == "Situational Awareness". ;0) -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                         Easy? Not. - (Ashton)
                                     You know: Not calling MrDumass "Mr Dumbass" at an interview. - (Another Scott)
                             The test identifies the MCSE as a moron. Hmm... -NT - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                 I'm not an MSCE :-) -NT - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                     I thought that you got that cert a while ago, did it expire? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                         Nope. - (pwhysall)
                             ICLRPD (new thread) - (broomberg)
                         Nah--plenty of animus therein ;) -NT - (FuManChu)
                         Similar opinion but... - (ben_tilly)
                     Diagnostics? - (ChrisR) - (1)
                         Pretty good... - (ben_tilly)
         They're all characters in Half-Life 2. - (pwhysall)

That thing has got to be the most relentlessly LRPDistic movie ever made.
65 ms