The over-romanticized myth of true love is usually viewed as fitting hand-in-hand with the equally mythic "love at first sight". The idea that "from the moment I saw him ... blah blah blah" and that everything magically becomes perfect between them. That, I believe, is the myth Ben is talking about.

Interestingly enough, that is only one side to the myth. Most people don't truly believe that you fall in love, get married and live happily ever after. Most people I've talked to realize that marriage is a lot of work, but the work can reap its rewards if you do it right, and if you handle it in that manner, it can be a "happy ever after" of sorts, just not happy all the time ever after. Love is something that is supposed to sustain you in good and bad times, and you aren't likely to be happy in bad ones.

I think if Mmoffitt has given his daughter a more grounded view of the "myth" i.e. "you will maybe fall in love with someone and he will be the one for you, but life does not become a fairy tale hereafter, it takes give and take to make a happy marriage," he's definitely on the right track here.

Nightowl >8#