IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Proselytizing
It's pretty obvious that Judaism, unlike Christianity or Islamics, don't go out of their way to convert other peoples to their beliefs.

What I'm wondering, though, is whether it's always been that way. I vaguely recall reading some history where it was claimed that Judaism used to be a bit more willing to seek converts. I know it was talking about prior to the fall of the Temple (90CE), but a bit after the Maccabees and the friction with the Greeks.

Anyhow, I'm just wondering whether the discouragement of proselytizing has always been a feature of Judaic beliefs? (Not that it has much to do with the current conversation).
New The original diciples of christ except for paul
were heavily promoters of judaism and were converting right and left. paul decided to change all that and converted them to worship christ instead of G_d.
thanx,
bill
tshirt front "born to die before I get old"
thshirt back "fscked another one didnja?"
New Besides, how can you be the exclusive chosen people...
if everyone else is allowed in. That would defeat the whole thing. It's kind of like those country clubs not looking for Jewish members. More like the cosa nostra - it's our thing.

Thank you for not asking! Really!
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New thass all right, we'd let yas come visit for a price,
just like disney world:)
thanx,
bill
yer just annoyed because ya dont have all the advantages of being stuck in an oven some time when the gentiles get quarrelsome. :)
tshirt front "born to die before I get old"
thshirt back "fscked another one didnja?"
New Actually, there was no fee...
when I last visited Shalom Park a mixed congregation type Jewish Center here in Charlotte.

Or, the Temple in Kingston, NY where I was a guest to 3 bar mitzvahs.

Shalom!
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New Very simple
You misunderstand the idea of the chosen people. Christians believe that the only way to slavation is through Jesus and therefore try to convert everyone. Judaism believes that everyone has a different purpose in this world. Everyone who serves God will be rewarded. Therefore there is no need for everyone to become Jewish.
New Thanks for the explanation.
I wish Jehovah's Witnesses and the Mormons, who come to the door here occasionally, would think the same way.
Alex

A Jew in the Mosque. - (addison) - (26)
         I guess Christian, the Jews are just whining again, right? - (bluke) - (25)
             Well . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (22)
                 Yabut.. - (Ashton)
                 Not at all - (bluke) - (20)
                     You missed the point entirely. - (Andrew Grygus) - (12)
                         I didn't miss the point - (bluke) - (11)
                             How very convenient for you. - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                                 Re: How very convenient for you. - (bluke) - (4)
                                     Well, I'm not about to become a Talmudic schollar . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                         The talmud was written 2000 years ago... - (bluke) - (2)
                                             beg to differ - (boxley) - (1)
                                                 I was not being exact - (bluke)
                             A significant detail - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                 What records? - (bluke) - (2)
                                     up early or staying up late? -NT - (boxley)
                                     That is both a mis-statement, and irrelevant - (ben_tilly)
                                 Interesting (?) side note - (wharris2)
                     Proselytizing - (ChrisR) - (6)
                         The original diciples of christ except for paul - (boxley) - (5)
                             Besides, how can you be the exclusive chosen people... - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
                                 thass all right, we'd let yas come visit for a price, - (boxley) - (1)
                                     Actually, there was no fee... - (a6l6e6x)
                                 Very simple - (bluke) - (1)
                                     Thanks for the explanation. - (a6l6e6x)
             More on this - (bluke) - (1)
                 Clearly the mindset is (almost..) species-wide. - (Ashton)

I suggest a new strategy: let the Wookie win.
55 ms