IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You're not seeing something very important.
The Taliban moved troops into Civilian areas.

That has *not* resulted in our bombing of those civilian areas - yet - and if we do, we will be trying our hardest *not* to hit civilians.

That's the difference between "us and them".

And you keep making a distinction between OBL and the Taliban - despite the testimony of most involved that they are tied at the hip, and would have been involved with the bombing. They certainly were running "training camps".

The US goal appears to be to remove the Taliban from power, as part of the strike against terrorism.

If you hide behind civilians, and the civilians are hit, who's fault is that?

Its a damn shame, but you *cannot avoid* accidentally killing people who were not your target.

So who's responsibility is it? The person shooting, or the person trying to use the shooters sensiblities against them by hiding behind someone "innocent"?

Remember, the Taliban has said that there *are no "innocent" Americans".

Addison
New Re: maybe we are honing in on something here

"That's the difference between "us and them"."

How ?, the Taliban (really just a convenient label) is different in what way ?

When we talk of the Taliban who are you meaning - the ones Colin Powell will approve of as part of the new Govt ?, the current spiritual leader Mullah Omar ?, the 2 Taliban idiots who keep appearing on CNN (the Hekel & Jekyl act), the council of Mullahs ?.

Again I feel you are trying to do here what you are quite good at (in a complimentary way) you are trying to boil the situation down into its simplest elements but the reality hin this case is it isn't that simple.

I say again that calling everyone you can attach the Taliban label to as muderous, is an appaling over simplification and lends itself to dehumanizing the real people caught up in this awful crisis. We are *not* on a turkey shoot to pop off every Taliban turkey - they are not our target. It is terrorists and their infrastructure. Taking our fury out of so called Taliban soldiers and collateral civillians solely because we have switched our venom from terrorists we can't see to people in Afghanistan we call Taliban, is not wise.

The original terrorists in their perverse way did that to the victims in the US.

Cheers

Doug

PS - I was arguing right from the start that Taliban and OBL were one and the same (check the posts) but I will now qualify that by saying that I always meant the current Taliban leaders and esp Mullah Omar. I never extended that to ordinary soldiers & citizens under Taliban rule. Also I will say here & now that Powell will include Taliban moderates in the new Govt (those left after the turkey shoot :-)

November 17th deadline for military action - (bluke) - (112)
         Re: November 17th deadline for military action - (addison) - (10)
             Sensitivity is very important here - (Steven A S) - (9)
                 I don't think so. - (addison) - (8)
                     But what of sensitivity toward Islam itself? - (marlowe) - (6)
                         Ah, the tolerance of the man. - (Silverlock)
                         Missing the point - (hnick)
                         Other ways to look at it.. - (addison) - (3)
                             I'm presuming that we can keep an eye on the situation... - (marlowe) - (2)
                                 Problem is... - (addison) - (1)
                                     I can't parse it any better than that either. - (Ashton)
                     I see the fence sitters as - (Steven A S)
         Re: November 17th deadline for military action - (rsf) - (40)
             Tend to agree. Remember the Tet Offensive? - (drewk) - (39)
                 Thank you for reading my mind. - (jb4)
                 Fool me twice, shame on me. - (marlowe) - (37)
                     Re: Fool me twice, shame on me. - (addison) - (36)
                         Re: Wakeup call: So many missing the point - (dmarker2) - (35)
                             !Vietnam - (kmself) - (30)
                                 Re: Not the same debate ??? - (dmarker2)
                                 Death toll majority non-citizens? - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                     Wikipedia - (kmself) - (1)
                                         The numbers are in flux. AP story. - (Another Scott)
                                 Where thugs come from - (Silverlock) - (4)
                                     Yep. But not as late as the 20th century - (admin) - (3)
                                         to google or not to google - (Silverlock) - (2)
                                             My own faulty memory... - (admin) - (1)
                                                 Vaguely remember a movie about this - (Silverlock)
                                 Tremendous analogy! - (jb4) - (1)
                                     Cancer - (kmself)
                                 You make me look moderate by comparison! - (marlowe) - (17)
                                     Its a common sense approach. - (addison) - (16)
                                         Re: who is the 'they' you write of ? - (dmarker2) - (15)
                                             They is somewhat fluid, depending on context. - (addison) - (14)
                                                 Re: I think you have lost sight of who - (dmarker2) - (13)
                                                     No, its not I with the lost sight. - (addison) - (12)
                                                         Re: Springing Bin Laden's trap - (dmarker2) - (11)
                                                             Re: Springing Bin Laden's trap - (addison) - (10)
                                                                 Re: Consider this ... - (dmarker2) - (9)
                                                                     Re: Consider this ... - (addison) - (8)
                                                                         Re: stick to the facts - (dmarker2) - (7)
                                                                             I'm not the one moving away from them - (addison) - (6)
                                                                                 Re: wrapping up - (dmarker2) - (5)
                                                                                     Re: wrapping up - (addison) - (4)
                                                                                         Re: wrapping up - another try - (dmarker2) - (3)
                                                                                             Retch out? - (wharris2) - (2)
                                                                                                 Ah.. the 1+1 certain logic of the unwarranted kewl buttinski -NT - (Ashton)
                                                                                                 Re: Retch out? - (dmarker2)
                                 OT: thugs. And comments. - (Another Scott)
                             Getting into possible Godwin territory, but... - (jb4) - (3)
                                 Also, Nazism wasn't backed by an ancient and venerable... - (marlowe)
                                 Re: Getting into possible Godwin territory, Headfirst !!! - (dmarker2)
                                 Point of order. Godwin. - (Ashton)
         Good time - (JayMehaffey) - (2)
             We'll have a great advantage in winter though. - (admin) - (1)
                 Possibly. - (addison)
         Re: November 17th deadline for military action - (gtall) - (56)
             Re: It is simpler than that - (dmarker2) - (55)
                 Less simple. - (addison) - (8)
                     Re: 'they' - yet again - (dmarker2) - (7)
                         No. - (addison) - (6)
                             No. No No - (dmarker2) - (5)
                                 Alas, I'm afraid that in US - it will likely be about - (Ashton)
                                 Re: No. No No - (addison) - (3)
                                     Re: No. No No - (dmarker2) - (2)
                                         Re: No. No No - (addison) - (1)
                                             Re: No. No No - (dmarker2)
                 Re: It is simpler than that - (gtall) - (45)
                     Re: Cant even you see ... - (dmarker2) - (44)
                         You're not seeing something very important. - (addison) - (1)
                             Re: maybe we are honing in on something here - (dmarker2)
                         Re: Cant even you see ... - (gtall) - (22)
                             Heh.. luck? - (Ashton)
                             Re: Cant even you see ... - (dmarker2) - (20)
                                 Ashton has a kernel of a good idea ... - (gtall) - (19)
                                     Heh.. nice lateral pass near the (endzone?) - (Ashton) - (3)
                                         Re: Heh.. nice lateral pass near the (endzone?) - (gtall) - (2)
                                             I'm *certain* that you know my fav academia quote (!) - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                 Re: I'm *certain* that you know my fav academia quote (!) - (gtall)
                                     Re: Greatly enjoyed that ... - (dmarker2) - (14)
                                         Re: Greatly enjoyed that ... - (gtall) - (13)
                                             OK.. Spike Jones! (In Der F\ufffdehrer's Face)____:-\ufffd - (Ashton) - (12)
                                                 Re: OK.. Spike Jones! & the city slickers - beetlebomb - (dmarker2) - (3)
                                                     Re: OK.. Spike Jones! & the city slickers - beetlebomb - (gtall) - (2)
                                                         Also, Car Talk on NPR - "Click & Clack the Tappit brothers" -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                                                         They seemed closest that.. '50s Murican culture could abide - (Ashton)
                                                 Dinner music for people who aren't really hungry - (wharris2) - (7)
                                                     Re: Ear candy for the noise hungry - (dmarker2) - (6)
                                                         Re: Ear candy for the noise hungry - (wharris2) - (5)
                                                             Re: Ear candy for the noise hungry - (dmarker2) - (4)
                                                                 Re: Ear candy for the noise hungry - (wharris2) - (3)
                                                                     Re: We live in interesting times - (dmarker2) - (2)
                                                                         cackle - (wharris2) - (1)
                                                                             Re: cackle - (dmarker2)
                         Human Shields, Information Warfare - (kmself) - (18)
                             Is there reason to believe US means to stifle al-Jazeera? - (Ashton) - (5)
                                 Yes - (kmself) - (4)
                                     No less disturbing, for being so utterly unsurprising :[ -NT - (Ashton)
                                     What? - (addison) - (2)
                                         Well.. both are still in bizness - (Ashton)
                                         Mahr was publicly censured, Onion commented on it - (kmself)
                             Re: A well argued and reasoned case - thanks - (dmarker2) - (11)
                                 I think you're missing something. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     Re: I think you're missing something. - (dmarker2)
                                 Taliban troops - (kmself) - (8)
                                     Re: Taliban troops - US invasion ? - (dmarker2) - (5)
                                         Occupation - (kmself) - (4)
                                             Re: Occupation - (wharris2) - (2)
                                                 Bosnia - (kmself)
                                                 Kosovo - (Arkadiy)
                                             Occupation update: SF Chron, US to base ops in Afghanistan - (kmself)
                                     Who is going to deal with these refugees? - (bluke) - (1)
                                         Changes like a kaleidoscope daily.. - (Ashton)

Sure, it's theoretically possible, but who the hell would actually do such a thing?
122 ms