IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I don't think so.
I don't think there are any Muslim's "on the fence".

The Muslims in dicatorships, such as Egypt, get anti-american media daily. They're not on the fence... Even if we *did*, it would be seen as a act of weakness.

We do not need to allow them to dictate the battles. If we need to strike, we strike.

Not striking gains us little, if anything.

Not for the terrorists that we're attacking, but for the Muslims that are still on the fence about whether this is a war on terrorists or on Muslims.

Terrorists. Which is why we're attacking them every day of the week, no matter who thinks its Holy. :)

We're being way *too* sensitive to those "fence sitters" - it didn't really gain us anything in the Gulf War, other than not being able to finish Saddam off.

Addison
New But what of sensitivity toward Islam itself?
Everyone's saying the Koran is against bin Laden. This makes me leery of blaming all this on Islam per se. I'll gladly blame it on Islam as it currently understood, but that's an entirely different proposition.

I'm willing to go a lot farther than a lot of people in uprooting a toxic way of life and thought. But I don't want to detroy an entire ethical-monotheistic religion. There's a tension between the ideal of religious freedom and the necessity of our own safety. This means we have to draw the line somewhere. I think it's reasonable to allow a form of Islam to survive.

[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
Sometimes "tolerance" is just a word for not dealing with things.
New Ah, the tolerance of the man.
How good of you

I think it's reasonable to allow a form of Islam to survive.
-endquote

So, which form will you allow to survive. And how do you propose to destroy the other forms?

Don Richards,
Proud recipient of the ABBA.
New Missing the point
The war is *NOT* against Islam. The war is against a pack of criminals, who merely use Islam as a rallying cry. Nobody (sane) is preaching genocide against the Islamic world.
In any event, there is no prohibition agains fighting during Ramadan (but only the misguided, misunderstood fanatics, of course.)If they want sensitivity, they should probably get out of the jihad business, or risk getting shot in the stomach during fasting hours.

my .02,
Hugh
New Other ways to look at it..
So there's a murderer and rapist on the run.

He claims to be Islamic. Do you want the police to cease chasing him because its now Ramadan, and to arrest him would be to violate his religious beliefs?

One of the downsides of starting a war (or joining it, or whatever you want to say) is that you don't get to choose when the other side will respond.

Further, backing off because of an Islamic holiday *furthers* their claim that its an attack on Islam - why else would we be *stopping* if we weren't "recognizing" that its Islam we're fighting?

If our "allies" want to stop and pray, more power to 'em. We're after criminals who have declared war.

And war is hell.

Addison
New I'm presuming that we can keep an eye on the situation...
and make sure he doens't escape in the meantime.

If that turns out not to be the case, I'll modify my position accordingly.
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
Sometimes "tolerance" is just a word for not dealing with things.
New Problem is...
But the main problem is if he *does* do something, then you're still in the same boat you would have been ANYWAY.

Halting any planned attacks plays into his hands, and quite frankly, I don't see *any* real benefit to it.

He picked the time, he knew Ramadan was coming up. That's not our problem.

If he wants to propose a truce during that time, *then* you've got a point. If he proposes one, and we turn it down, that would be bad.

But to unilaterally stop action? Bad move.

Addison
New I can't parse it any better than that either.
Dubya has surprised many, in going along with the better informed. And while I question the track record of several of his dad's cronies - in their statements and actions then..

There is at least the appearance of nascent tact. No point in second guessing from our ignorance of lots of sub-rosa machinations I am sure we are not privy to. I'll extend a conditional faith in Mr. Powell..

Ashton
New I see the fence sitters as
Those Islamic countries that have so far given us their support. Most of them have their own reasons for backing us instead of ObL, and would require very little push to switch sides. They very much expect us to attack them during that time. They are hoping for it, and they will not hesitate to use it against us. We cannot let the lines blur between their actions and ours.

Of course this is just my opinion, and does not necissarily represent the opinions of our leaders who are making the real decisions.
~~~)-Steven----

"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country..."

General George S. Patton
     November 17th deadline for military action - (bluke) - (112)
         Re: November 17th deadline for military action - (addison) - (10)
             Sensitivity is very important here - (Steven A S) - (9)
                 I don't think so. - (addison) - (8)
                     But what of sensitivity toward Islam itself? - (marlowe) - (6)
                         Ah, the tolerance of the man. - (Silverlock)
                         Missing the point - (hnick)
                         Other ways to look at it.. - (addison) - (3)
                             I'm presuming that we can keep an eye on the situation... - (marlowe) - (2)
                                 Problem is... - (addison) - (1)
                                     I can't parse it any better than that either. - (Ashton)
                     I see the fence sitters as - (Steven A S)
         Re: November 17th deadline for military action - (rsf) - (40)
             Tend to agree. Remember the Tet Offensive? - (drewk) - (39)
                 Thank you for reading my mind. - (jb4)
                 Fool me twice, shame on me. - (marlowe) - (37)
                     Re: Fool me twice, shame on me. - (addison) - (36)
                         Re: Wakeup call: So many missing the point - (dmarker2) - (35)
                             !Vietnam - (kmself) - (30)
                                 Re: Not the same debate ??? - (dmarker2)
                                 Death toll majority non-citizens? - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                     Wikipedia - (kmself) - (1)
                                         The numbers are in flux. AP story. - (Another Scott)
                                 Where thugs come from - (Silverlock) - (4)
                                     Yep. But not as late as the 20th century - (admin) - (3)
                                         to google or not to google - (Silverlock) - (2)
                                             My own faulty memory... - (admin) - (1)
                                                 Vaguely remember a movie about this - (Silverlock)
                                 Tremendous analogy! - (jb4) - (1)
                                     Cancer - (kmself)
                                 You make me look moderate by comparison! - (marlowe) - (17)
                                     Its a common sense approach. - (addison) - (16)
                                         Re: who is the 'they' you write of ? - (dmarker2) - (15)
                                             They is somewhat fluid, depending on context. - (addison) - (14)
                                                 Re: I think you have lost sight of who - (dmarker2) - (13)
                                                     No, its not I with the lost sight. - (addison) - (12)
                                                         Re: Springing Bin Laden's trap - (dmarker2) - (11)
                                                             Re: Springing Bin Laden's trap - (addison) - (10)
                                                                 Re: Consider this ... - (dmarker2) - (9)
                                                                     Re: Consider this ... - (addison) - (8)
                                                                         Re: stick to the facts - (dmarker2) - (7)
                                                                             I'm not the one moving away from them - (addison) - (6)
                                                                                 Re: wrapping up - (dmarker2) - (5)
                                                                                     Re: wrapping up - (addison) - (4)
                                                                                         Re: wrapping up - another try - (dmarker2) - (3)
                                                                                             Retch out? - (wharris2) - (2)
                                                                                                 Ah.. the 1+1 certain logic of the unwarranted kewl buttinski -NT - (Ashton)
                                                                                                 Re: Retch out? - (dmarker2)
                                 OT: thugs. And comments. - (Another Scott)
                             Getting into possible Godwin territory, but... - (jb4) - (3)
                                 Also, Nazism wasn't backed by an ancient and venerable... - (marlowe)
                                 Re: Getting into possible Godwin territory, Headfirst !!! - (dmarker2)
                                 Point of order. Godwin. - (Ashton)
         Good time - (JayMehaffey) - (2)
             We'll have a great advantage in winter though. - (admin) - (1)
                 Possibly. - (addison)
         Re: November 17th deadline for military action - (gtall) - (56)
             Re: It is simpler than that - (dmarker2) - (55)
                 Less simple. - (addison) - (8)
                     Re: 'they' - yet again - (dmarker2) - (7)
                         No. - (addison) - (6)
                             No. No No - (dmarker2) - (5)
                                 Alas, I'm afraid that in US - it will likely be about - (Ashton)
                                 Re: No. No No - (addison) - (3)
                                     Re: No. No No - (dmarker2) - (2)
                                         Re: No. No No - (addison) - (1)
                                             Re: No. No No - (dmarker2)
                 Re: It is simpler than that - (gtall) - (45)
                     Re: Cant even you see ... - (dmarker2) - (44)
                         You're not seeing something very important. - (addison) - (1)
                             Re: maybe we are honing in on something here - (dmarker2)
                         Re: Cant even you see ... - (gtall) - (22)
                             Heh.. luck? - (Ashton)
                             Re: Cant even you see ... - (dmarker2) - (20)
                                 Ashton has a kernel of a good idea ... - (gtall) - (19)
                                     Heh.. nice lateral pass near the (endzone?) - (Ashton) - (3)
                                         Re: Heh.. nice lateral pass near the (endzone?) - (gtall) - (2)
                                             I'm *certain* that you know my fav academia quote (!) - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                 Re: I'm *certain* that you know my fav academia quote (!) - (gtall)
                                     Re: Greatly enjoyed that ... - (dmarker2) - (14)
                                         Re: Greatly enjoyed that ... - (gtall) - (13)
                                             OK.. Spike Jones! (In Der F\ufffdehrer's Face)____:-\ufffd - (Ashton) - (12)
                                                 Re: OK.. Spike Jones! & the city slickers - beetlebomb - (dmarker2) - (3)
                                                     Re: OK.. Spike Jones! & the city slickers - beetlebomb - (gtall) - (2)
                                                         Also, Car Talk on NPR - "Click & Clack the Tappit brothers" -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                                                         They seemed closest that.. '50s Murican culture could abide - (Ashton)
                                                 Dinner music for people who aren't really hungry - (wharris2) - (7)
                                                     Re: Ear candy for the noise hungry - (dmarker2) - (6)
                                                         Re: Ear candy for the noise hungry - (wharris2) - (5)
                                                             Re: Ear candy for the noise hungry - (dmarker2) - (4)
                                                                 Re: Ear candy for the noise hungry - (wharris2) - (3)
                                                                     Re: We live in interesting times - (dmarker2) - (2)
                                                                         cackle - (wharris2) - (1)
                                                                             Re: cackle - (dmarker2)
                         Human Shields, Information Warfare - (kmself) - (18)
                             Is there reason to believe US means to stifle al-Jazeera? - (Ashton) - (5)
                                 Yes - (kmself) - (4)
                                     No less disturbing, for being so utterly unsurprising :[ -NT - (Ashton)
                                     What? - (addison) - (2)
                                         Well.. both are still in bizness - (Ashton)
                                         Mahr was publicly censured, Onion commented on it - (kmself)
                             Re: A well argued and reasoned case - thanks - (dmarker2) - (11)
                                 I think you're missing something. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     Re: I think you're missing something. - (dmarker2)
                                 Taliban troops - (kmself) - (8)
                                     Re: Taliban troops - US invasion ? - (dmarker2) - (5)
                                         Occupation - (kmself) - (4)
                                             Re: Occupation - (wharris2) - (2)
                                                 Bosnia - (kmself)
                                                 Kosovo - (Arkadiy)
                                             Occupation update: SF Chron, US to base ops in Afghanistan - (kmself)
                                     Who is going to deal with these refugees? - (bluke) - (1)
                                         Changes like a kaleidoscope daily.. - (Ashton)

My other car is a blancmange.
142 ms