IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Story re "IQ Testing LLC"
OK OK - it's such a Popular game!

I'm sure millions of words have been written on this topic (few of which I'm at all interested in even skimming). That there IS such a test - and that it is accorded huge Importance - IMO says more about "us" than about WTF any of these contrived, inevitably inadequate questions demonstrate (beyond acculturation, that is).

In '60s, a phys. grad student I knew (fresh PhD actually) was about to marry a (real!) Armenian (exile) 'Princess'.. a most interesting and Sharp woman. We hung out, from time to time. She was (at some academic stage I don't recall) working on the level of designing, vetting - critiquing various forms of the Stanford-Binet -- which natch must keep changing its questions (I said.. it's mainly about acculturation, did'n I?)

So she asked Les and moi if she could administer (a current version) to us two. (I knew my earlier Number from days of academe). Having the advantage of knowing us both.. I think this was about umm "calibrating her own confidence" in the entire enchilada, and this may or may not have been "against the rules" - WTF those were. D. agreed to discuss with us -after-the-fact- some arcane interpretations of the ~order, "why.. such and such questions are thought particularly revealing", weighted accordingly: ie a mini-course on state of the design art, just then). So, who could resist.. hearing about the priesthood from the priesthood?

Natch I don't recall anything juicy from her critique. Unsurprisingly, we both scored 'off-scale' (her term; comment following) and within a few 'points' of each other. I recall her qualitative assessment of the whole topic a little better.

She though it became iffy (to save a few hundred words only a little better than iffy) somewhere in the 130-140 range. Thought.. that it might mean -something- maybe up to 160s [fuzzy here] - but only via considerable personal investigation by the tester of the testee. I think this meant -- the tester trying to discern "mechanical test-guessing aptitudes, algoriths" VS something more indicative of genuine [insightfulness?].. No, I don't know how you would "teach someone such discrimination" either, if it even exists beyond a fanciful hope.

Yeah, vague words but much akin, in my experience, to -- the predicament of evaluating two very good audio systems VS instantaneous live performance -- and Talking! about what is heard; ditto wine tasting == that Class of problem.

She believed (and apparently so did the then authors of the tests, at least 'unofficially' ) that any number >150 was essentially meaningless re comparing any two persons, yet you could achieve something like '200'. Pshaw.

Whatever else you might call such numbers, I liken them to false-precision, as in 'too many significant figures' for the precision of measurement (of any physical quantity). (And this AIN'T Any Physical 'QUANTITY')

I note that neither Lester nor I have yet won even a second Nobel. Although he, having gone for weapons development via Ford Aeronutr... is likely pretty rich. (That makes him as smart as a PHB - what's that - 85?) We haven't kept in touch; different sensibilities, I guess.

I'll go along with "attitude inventory" as a realizable goal for 'testing' - for those who haven't yet discovered what it is - they Love to do, poor bastards. But as means for grouping the members of a civilization? BS - it's fucking epaulets, as Dick Feynman would say.
Now there was.. fucking-^SMART^; screw allthenumbers.

Ashton
so smart I make myself sick
we now return you to your testing game du jour
New Why does it seem
that your entire post bolis down to what I aleady posted:
[link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=137910|http://z.iwethey.org...?contentid=137910]

Of course, your was far more entertiaining, but you know how I like to boil down to a couple of numbers.
New ..Prefer a slow simmer to a tacky boil, I guess ;-)
     Cute IQ test - (broomberg) - (95)
         Heh - (deSitter)
         My score - (orion) - (5)
             It's vacuous - (deSitter) - (4)
                 Only when someone you don't like scores well - (broomberg) - (3)
                     Re: Only when someone you don't like scores well - (deSitter) - (1)
                         I got it - (orion)
                     Being a Gemini - (orion)
         Got "document contains no data" for my trouble. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (8)
             you mean your brain? -NT - (deSitter) - (7)
                 ROFL! - (a6l6e6x) - (6)
                     Standard problem with these tests - (broomberg) - (5)
                         Re: Standard problem with these tests - (deSitter) - (4)
                             Some cultural bias. - (admin) - (3)
                                 Top high end never test well - (broomberg) - (2)
                                     Survival skill = intelligence? - (deSitter) - (1)
                                         KISS - (Ashton)
         brain brammage - (boxley)
         Ditto on that. - (folkert) - (6)
             I like the pattern progression - (broomberg) - (2)
                 Re: I like the pattern progression - (deSitter) - (1)
                     No... - (folkert)
             Mensa entry was 140 - (broomberg) - (1)
                 ObGroucho - (deSitter)
             Ditto on the ditto - (bepatient)
         Stupid test. - (admin) - (20)
             Yes but - (broomberg) - (19)
                 That's why you have specific tests - (deSitter) - (7)
                     Math? - (broomberg) - (6)
                         Made my point - (deSitter)
                         car problem - (Steve Lowe) - (4)
                             I knew the name - (broomberg)
                             Uhh... Yeah! - (folkert) - (1)
                                 Yers is prettier, mine is wordier :) -NT - (Steve Lowe)
                             Easier. - (Another Scott)
                 That's why you need someone to give the test. -NT - (admin)
                 Another problem with this test: - (admin) - (9)
                     Agreed - (broomberg) - (8)
                         I think the max on this one is probably fairly low. -NT - (admin) - (7)
                             Agreed - (broomberg) - (5)
                                 By comparison: - (admin) - (4)
                                     gotta be timed - (deSitter) - (3)
                                         Couldn't possibly be timed. - (admin) - (2)
                                             Re: Couldn't possibly be timed. - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                 Different weightings - (broomberg)
                             Agreed - Dupe - (broomberg)
         133 - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
             133 - same here, but I'm an 'Insightful Linguist' apparently - (Meerkat)
         Good way to waste time. Addendum. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             sqrt (-1) - (deSitter)
         Feh - (cforde)
         Re: Cute IQ test - (Nightowl)
         142 - I'm a "Visionary Philosopher". Sheesh. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         I can live with "your Intellectual Type is a Facts Curator". - (CRConrad)
         135 means you didn't get any wrong. -NT - (FuManChu) - (7)
             How is that possible? -NT - (admin) - (6)
                 It was my score, and I didn't get any wrong. :D -NT - (FuManChu) - (4)
                     Nope. Scott and Ben both beat us. -NT - (broomberg) - (3)
                         Got it up to 144 - (admin) - (1)
                             QED :) -NT - (deSitter)
                         They got higher scores, not the same thing. -NT - (FuManChu)
                 Cosmic rays -NT - (deSitter)
         Those are GMAT questions - (tuberculosis) - (6)
             What's that? - (deSitter)
             *snicker* - (admin) - (4)
                 Yup, and you KNOW how big mine is - (broomberg) - (3)
                     100 * squares - (admin) - (1)
                         As Ben screams in the distance - (broomberg)
                     Perfect squares -NT - (deSitter)
         I didn't take the time to take it. So do I pass? -NT - (drewk)
         I saw it ages ago - (ben_tilly)
         My IQ is... - (pwhysall) - (7)
             Give it a fake one, knob. - (admin) - (2)
                 Like I care. You suck. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     bite me you pitiful 'neer -NT - (deSitter)
             In case you missed it in the initial post - (Nightowl) - (3)
                 If it's too stupid to require a real email address... - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     Ahh, failure to follow instructions - (broomberg) - (1)
                         One Hundred Percent. - (pwhysall)
         The wife got 144 - "Visionary Philosopher" -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Wow, you must be quite a guy! - (CRConrad) - (1)
                 Ha! :-) She's a catch. I don't know about me.... -NT - (Another Scott)
         Took it again, deliberately answered all wrong - (admin) - (5)
             "Blind Hog" - or "Visionless Porker" -NT - (deSitter)
             seriously - (deSitter) - (2)
                 I assume morons can't read - (broomberg) - (1)
                     Also, interesting typo - (broomberg)
             This is very good - (broomberg)
         Java Servlet Exception - (Silverlock) - (3)
             That means you win a prize, dunnit? -NT - (pwhysall)
             Holy Crow! It's been IWeThey'd! -NT - (jake123) - (1)
                 :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         culturally biased internet intelligence test (new thread) - (boxley)
         Story re "IQ Testing LLC" - (Ashton) - (2)
             Why does it seem - (broomberg) - (1)
                 ..Prefer a slow simmer to a tacky boil, I guess ;-) -NT - (Ashton)

I think its a fine solution to the problem that you probably shouldn't have.
143 ms