IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I wish I had the answers...
I don't. I guess stating certain aspects of any philosopher/poet/author gives context. I'm being a prick about Nietsche because at this point in my life, I have no time for existentialism/nihilism. As a result, I am happier. And I also am as guilty of hiding behind words as the next. We are on these fora "talking it out" to gain context. I learn a lot from you all.

I think your assessment of the human condition is pretty accurate, albeit, sad. And in "context", God cannot be judged. I try to keep that in mind. We are like ants looking at Mt. Everest (for lack of a better analogy). We may be able to see something... but have no idea of what that realm truly is. I am therefor agnostic, because I don't think I'll ever truly understand. Which is sad in and of itself. The major questions of who, what, when where, why and how apply to things like creation/nature of life/etc... It is in our makeup to want to know. That's why religion and philosophy exist. Because we are so ill equipped to "know".

I truly value your opinion and thank you for caring enough to argue with me. I'm still not gonna give up the tagline though :-)
Just a few thoughts,

Dan

"God is dead"
Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead"
God

"Nietzsche has an S in it"
Celina Jones

"Putting the fun back into funatic"
New Likely a wise decision re nihilism.. and other -isms.
Do you think the Nazis 'understood' what Nietzsche was aiming towards? (I don't - 'understanding ' was not what they sought from N. - merely some out-of context phrases on which to rationalize a lust for power and a deification of Authority). A ploy as was "The Jew". Effective though, on the shallow and the easily led.

Similarly, amidst cannon fire is not when rearrangements of philosophy are managed. Supposedly times of 'peace' permit the recently lived lessons to sink in and ferment - except perhaps, when constant diversion takes all the space for contemplation, next (?)

Now - we're in-it again, having remained in denial about Vietnam and about the consequences of having supported so many suppurating bastards since. We made material accommodations and for material (oil and other) reasons, forgetting our alleged 'principles', conveniently.

I have no idea how this Muslim-roulette shall turn out; much too early to guess anything.

But if this "world of appearances" is indeed also that "world of opposites / of duality" -- then there is no escape from the endless warring of the extremes, nor can indeed "the center hold": that of accommodation of both extremes, for marginal illusion of 'security'.

True peace is a state of being, unalterable by the above endless play of opposites (so I have been told). Shakespeare got it, and parts of most holybooks try to mention it -- but not many seek it. Maybe because the noise is always there, and the pretty baubles are soo attractive.

Anyway.. both you and deS have at least a chance of remaining uninvolved in the sound and fury, and pursuing the only sort of peace that doesn't need "" around it. You already know the direction for enquiry - and the poverty of the outward symbols. Nobody can pass on anything substantial (no pun intended, much), just hints.

So.. why not get on with it? (But you can't tell! anyone ;-) It's the only game in town - all the rest is just deadly entertainment.

Cheers,

A.
New Extremes/Extremists get the most attention
simply because they can be so firm in their convictions. The people in the middle tend to be less forceful in their convictions because in seeing the possibilities on both sides of an issue, they are less convinced that their way is necissarily the right way. These are the people that, if they get to see both sides, could find the peaceful road in between; but shown only one side become mere sheep, following along with the crowd because nothing better presents itself. Of course even given that information, because of their less forceful demeanor, they usually go unheard.

It is due to this that people in general tend to gravitate to one extreme or another. Those with the most conviction in their beliefs become the most heard. If one extreme is the majority or only extreme heard, those in the middle turn sheep and follow along. And because there is often more than two extremes, even if the middle person sees more than one side of the issue, they never really see all of the sides.

At least that my view of the problem. I hope I haven't made it too confusing.
~~~)-Steven----
New Thou sayest: so long as the noise drowns out the wise(r) :[
     According to a Russian TV correspondent in Pakistan... - (Arkadiy) - (76)
         Indeed - (deSitter) - (75)
             Speaking of the Times of India - (Ric Locke) - (64)
                 Good Sites on Pakistan History, Culture, Politics - (deSitter) - (2)
                     one out of 2 aint bad :) -NT - (boxley)
                     one out of 2 aint bad :) -NT - (boxley)
                 More Good Stuff - (deSitter) - (59)
                     Re: Great Source - more on next trouble spot - Indonesia - (dmarker2) - (58)
                         Re: Additional perspective on Indonesia from US sources - (dmarker2) - (57)
                             Trying to discover an overview is rarely successful during, - (Ashton) - (56)
                                 I'll try... - (screamer) - (55)
                                     Perhaps begs the question (?) - (Ashton) - (54)
                                         You, a fatalist? I never would have guessed... - (screamer) - (53)
                                             Life is a fatal condition - (Ashton) - (52)
                                                 That, my friend, is the million dollar question... - (screamer) - (51)
                                                     Well.. OK just so long as - (Ashton) - (50)
                                                         In the final analysis, at this particular point in - (screamer) - (49)
                                                             As said: as a tactic, prolly necessary a bit, such as we are - (Ashton) - (48)
                                                                 What you said. - (inthane-chan) - (47)
                                                                     Nietzsche also believed in superman... - (screamer) - (46)
                                                                         I doubt he believed in Superman... - (inthane-chan) - (10)
                                                                             Couple of factual points.... - (addison) - (6)
                                                                                 Hitler not threatening? - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                                                                                     It's Laughable, Isn't it? - (deSitter)
                                                                                     Not to the US culture, no. - (addison) - (1)
                                                                                         Re: Not to the US culture, no. - (Arkadiy)
                                                                                 Guess I'm demonizing myself as well... - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                                                                     Its all context. - (addison)
                                                                             I'm only gonna say this once... - (screamer)
                                                                             As a matter of fact, it *is* on the line. - (marlowe) - (1)
                                                                                 Not on theirs. - (inthane-chan)
                                                                         No He Didn't - (deSitter) - (34)
                                                                             Yo, Ubermenschkopf, do you have a clue? - (screamer) - (33)
                                                                                 Pitiful - (deSitter) - (32)
                                                                                     Fair enough... - (screamer) - (31)
                                                                                         I Have Gained My Religion - (deSitter) - (4)
                                                                                             I wish I had the answers... - (screamer) - (3)
                                                                                                 Likely a wise decision re nihilism.. and other -isms. - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                                                                     Extremes/Extremists get the most attention - (Steven A S) - (1)
                                                                                                         Thou sayest: so long as the noise drowns out the wise(r) :[ -NT - (Ashton)
                                                                                         Ah, thanks... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                                                             The taaaaglinnnnnnnnneeeeee...... - (screamer)
                                                                                         Thanks Dan for turning into an incognito asshole - (deSitter) - (23)
                                                                                             Wow. - (pwhysall)
                                                                                             Now it's gettin personal... - (screamer) - (16)
                                                                                                 I don't get it, Dan - (Ashton) - (8)
                                                                                                     I think you do know... - (screamer)
                                                                                                     OK, sorry... - (CRConrad) - (6)
                                                                                                         Yup. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                                                                                             Which kind'a proves two things. No, three: - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                                                                                                 I don't think deSitter had malice a-forethought. Forgetful? -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                                                                                 less see according to psych 101 and posts here n there - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                                                     Agreed. Pity that he didn't mention this last ugly event - (Ashton)
                                                                                                         Barb? - (Ashton)
                                                                                                 Really? - (deSitter) - (6)
                                                                                                     Please... - (screamer) - (5)
                                                                                                         Too Many Scars - (deSitter) - (4)
                                                                                                             Friends will be here if you change your mind. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                                                 Wot 'e said. - (inthane-chan)
                                                                                                             I wish you well. - (Ashton)
                                                                                                             I've had days like that. - (marlowe)
                                                                                             Which kind of remark strongly suggests - (Ashton)
                                                                                             There are some people too stupid to live. -NT - (wharris2) - (3)
                                                                                                 Now, now. ... - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                                                                     You Bet I'm Angry - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                                                                         Sorry about your loss. - (Another Scott)
                 Re: A worrying part of the attack - the casualty reports ... - (dmarker2)
             Re: Certainly a big worry ... Pakis in awful position ... - (dmarker2) - (1)
                 Side note - (pwhysall)
             Re: Indeed - (Arkadiy) - (7)
                 Nope - (deSitter) - (6)
                     Low maybe... - (bepatient) - (3)
                         Impossible - (deSitter) - (2)
                             Re: Impossible - (Andrew Grygus)
                             Oops...you're right...my thinking was B1B -NT - (bepatient)
                     True. On the other hand . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                     Who has "air forse or significant SAM capability" ... - (Arkadiy)

Now, with built-in MIDI ports!
194 ms