IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Joel Spolskly's response: you fools
[link|http://www.joelonsoftware.com/2001/09/24|Completely rewriting code is a big-time mistake common of immature developers with no real software experience.]
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
New Depends on the reason....
I understand his philosophy....but there are design problem (rather than simple code issues) rebuilding from scratch (may) be the way to go.

Does anyone believe telnet is a great program and that ssh shouldn't have been written?
New along the same lines
does any believe that Netscape Navigator is a great program and Mozilla shouldn't have been written? They wouldn't really be starting from scratch. They're now a lot wiser and will use the lessons they've learned in designing the new version.
"Plan to through one away; you will anyhow" -- Fred Brooks.
Have fun,
Carl Forde
New Refactoring
If you'll read Spolsky's essay, he addresses the architectural issue up front. Refactoring is probably the most common reason to address old code: you've got an unholy mess that needs to be rearchitected from the get-go. According to Spolsky, this is still no reason to toss the old code. There's too much accumulated wisdom to toss it all out.

I frankly have my own problems with this PoV of Spolsky. He's pretty right on in other respects. I've seen code that simply defies explanation, though, and which I'd spent some six months or so trying to work my way through -- though I reduced the total LoC by a factor of three, I never really understood it.

So, I pitched this out to generate discussion. I think Joel's point is that, if MSFT has to admit to a total rewrite, they're in blind panic mode on IIS, and likely lost key staff or have to significantly rearchitect the code.
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
New rock and a hard place
Microsoft has lost some key people in high places in the last 2 years or so. That might affect their ability to re-architect IIS. I think a major concern for them is their business model. The thing (imho) they want to embrace next is web application servers. But that requires Java and with the ego they've invested in the anti-Java campaign I can't see them doing that. Does an application server based on C# make sense? Isn't that .NET? Can they overcome Java's market share? Remember we're dealing with the server-side here, where they don't have a monopoly to leverage. Negative coverage from Gartner and others is going to make selling .NET even tougher. Blind panic probably isn't the right characterization, Bill G. and company aren't the kind to panic, more like cold sweat desperation. Look for them to try something that hasn't been done before and negates Java's advantages. Hmmm, [link|http://www.openp2p.com/pub/a/p2p/2001/05/30/hailstorm.html|Hailstorm], maybe?
Have fun,
Carl Forde
New MS has a good idea
>> But that requires Java and with the ego they've invested in the anti-Java campaign I can't see them doing that. Does an application server based on C# make sense? Isn't that .NET? Can they overcome Java's market share? <<

The idea of .NET is that multiple languages can allegedly use it. They even brought in Bertrand Meyer's group to port Eiffle. That way one is not stuck with just one programming language (Java).

Unlike SUN, they are only hogging the API, not the language(s).

>> Negative coverage from Gartner and others is going to make selling .NET even tougher. <<

If MS shuts down all the mostly unused gizmos on IIS defaults, most of their security problems will go away. It is the extra's that leave the most holes.

Portable?

Point me to all the non-Windows ports of .NET.
Who knows how empty the sky is
In the place of a fallen tower.
Who knows how quiet it is in the home
Where a son has not returned.

-- Anna Akhmatova (1889-1966)
New Point me to all the usable non-Sun ports of Java

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New *chuckle* Ya beat me to it!

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New More usable than Sun's, faster than Microsoft's.
IBM is my JVM of choice.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Well, off the top of my head
Here's a few of [link|http://www.ibm.com/java/jdk|IBM's] various JDKs...

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New Not a significant consideration . .
. . because most current languages are being retrofitted to optionally produce Java byte code.

Any software developer with the business awareness of a jellyfish (12%?) should clearly see what happens to Microsoft "partners" by now. The choice should be pretty obvious to any sentient being.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Re: Not a significant consideration . .
Any software developer with the business awareness of a jellyfish (12%?) should clearly see what happens to Microsoft "partners" by now. The choice should be pretty obvious to any sentient being.

Er, doesn't that exclude most managers and policy makers?
Who knows how empty the sky is
In the place of a fallen tower.
Who knows how quiet it is in the home
Where a son has not returned.

-- Anna Akhmatova (1889-1966)
New Yes
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Don't agree with that, either
at times, it's a very good idea to start from scratch.

I've got some five year old, crusty, Windows 3.1 code that is crying out for a complete re-architecture and re-write. I've learned a lot since then.

Tony
New Indeed.
"Be prepared to throw the first implementation away".

Or something.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

Gartner group to IIS users: RUN FOR THE HILLS!!! - (Silverlock) - (23)
         Microsoft response: Wait! No, we're, uh, REWRITING it! Yeah! - (admin) - (17)
             Joel Spolskly's response: you fools - (kmself) - (16)
                 Depends on the reason.... - (Simon_Jester) - (13)
                     along the same lines - (cforde) - (12)
                         Refactoring - (kmself) - (11)
                             rock and a hard place - (cforde) - (10)
                                 MS has a good idea - (tablizer) - (9)
                                     Re: MS has a good idea - (wharris2) - (5)
                                         Point me to all the usable non-Sun ports of Java -NT - (tablizer) - (4)
                                             Re: Point me to all the usable non-Sun ports of Java - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                 *chuckle* Ya beat me to it! -NT - (imric)
                                                 More usable than Sun's, faster than Microsoft's. - (admin)
                                             Well, off the top of my head - (imric)
                                     Not a significant consideration . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                         Re: Not a significant consideration . . - (wharris2) - (1)
                                             Yes -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
                 Don't agree with that, either - (tonytib) - (1)
                     Indeed. - (static)
         My wife's tiny little site has been under attack - (mhuber) - (4)
             Welcome to the land of the worms. - (bepatient)
                 So, you want hard numbers, eh? - (mhuber) - (1)
                     Gracias - saved page. - (Ashton)

Excuse me while I call for a mop.
177 ms